The Solution

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

The Solution

Postby dw-net » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Single rate ticket prices sold in various lots on a first come first serve basis, say a third in Jan., a third in May and the remainder in Aug or as gate sales . Better yet, divide it into more lots, say five of 10,000 each, a limit of two tickets per purchase, limit the hours per day during the periods allocated for sales! This last would serve to minimize the swamping of their servers, which are none too many to begin with! All the various periods will automatically distribute the rush to buy tickets as procrastinators will inherently tend to procrastinate (knowing that there are still tickets available and no price advantage to buying early).
I already have shared my "brilliance" with BMorg (no tiers...see viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53108 ), far enough in advance that they had more than enough opportunity to modify this year's poorly thought out plan. But no... they had to insist that by virtue of being Burners the participants MUST subscribe to the fanciful ethos of Burning Man that in reality only exixts as a fragment of an ill gotten dream in Hairy Larvae's nocturnal noodle of a brain! Fertility, my ass...tis nothing more than plain and basic lust....for whatever... that drives the inhuman species that we are.
dw-net

Re: The Solution

Postby BBadger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby A Jester » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:23 am

Whoa, seriously?

You shared your ideas with them in a thread you made on the internet and they didn't do exactly what you suggested? That's fucked up! I'm going to go make a webpage telling them to apologize to you!
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby The CO » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 pm

A Jester wrote:Whoa, seriously?

You shared your ideas with them in a thread you made on the internet and they didn't do exactly what you suggested? That's fucked up! I'm going to go make a webpage telling them to apologize to you!

<shocked gasp>

<monocle drops into martini glass>

Ho-Jon, alert the internet authorities! Something is rotten in digital Denmark....
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby Mamachicken32 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:00 pm

NON TRANSFERABLE TICKETS WITH YOUR NAME ON THEM WITH THIS "STEP" PRORAM THINGY THAT IS IN PLACE FOR THOSE WHO NEED TO REHOME THEIR TICKETS WHO WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE THAN TO USE STEP BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SELL A TICKET WITH YOUR NAME ON IT TO SOMEONE ELSE UNLESS THEY HAD THE SAME NAME.

I have brought this up before and yet still have yet to have an acceptable rebuttal to this option....
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Ken's nutz

Re: Best way to fix Burning Man ticket issues!

Postby karma_cat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 pm

liz-lemon wrote:I think I figured out the best way to fix Burning Man ticket issues! Just be really up front about implementing a new rule before tickets go on sale:

No RVs or buses.

The only exception is you apply to bring them, much like how art cars work. Some people might need them for projects, so in those cases they could be allowed but for the most part people should be living in spaces designed for the event. I think this would really add to the environment and discourage a lot of people who just bus in to party and eat up all the tickets.

Sometimes it's the really simple ideas that make the most sense :)
karma_cat

Re: Best way to fix Burning Man ticket issues!

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:21 pm

karma_cat wrote:
liz-lemon wrote:I think I figured out the best way to fix Burning Man ticket issues! Just be really up front about implementing a new rule before tickets go on sale:

No RVs or buses.

The only exception is you apply to bring them, much like how art cars work. Some people might need them for projects, so in those cases they could be allowed but for the most part people should be living in spaces designed for the event. I think this would really add to the environment and discourage a lot of people who just bus in to party and eat up all the tickets.

Sometimes it's the really simple ideas that make the most sense :)

IF THAT MAKES SENSE TO YOU ...YOU PROBABLY DONT EVEN LIKE BURNING MAN

RV HATE IS SOOOOOO 1997
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:44 pm

You could still allow RVs to the event. Just have them park in an official, allocated parking facility. The parking facility could be located just outside the town of Gerlach and have a shuttle service to transport them to and from the festival. These comfort seekers would not be fully counted toward the BLM attendance cap for the festival.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:You could still allow RVs to the event. Just have them park in an official, allocated parking facility. The parking facility could be located just outside the town of Gerlach and have a shuttle service to transport them to and from the festival. These comfort seekers would not be fully counted toward the BLM attendance cap for the festival.

lol..

OMG SEEKING COMFORT AT BURNING MAN?! HOW DARE THEY!!!!

EVERYONE SHOULD SLEEP ON A DIRTY OLD FUTON IN THE CENTER CAMP CAFE, LIKE A REAL BURNER
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

lemur wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:You could still allow RVs to the event. Just have them park in an official, allocated parking facility. The parking facility could be located just outside the town of Gerlach and have a shuttle service to transport them to and from the festival. These comfort seekers would not be fully counted toward the BLM attendance cap for the festival.

lol..

EVERYONE SHOULD SLEEP ON A DIRTY OLD FUTON IN THE CENTER CAMP CAFE, LIKE A REAL BURNER

I'll have to admit that my idea for a solution was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby karma_cat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:
lemur wrote:

lol..

I know somewhere else you could put your tongue ;)
karma_cat

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 pm

karma_cat wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:
lemur wrote:
lol..

I know somewhere else you could put your tongue ;)

Let's not go there.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby liz-lemon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I think that if people can't get a permit for their RV then they can find new creative solutions to their dwelling situation. Those people who really need them for their theme camp can still get passes and be allowed.

The tourist buses and lame RVs are huge eye sores… and most of the people are not on vibe with the culture.

If wealthy tourists want their RV's then they should be artistically modified or tailored to the event!!!!!
liz-lemon

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm

c'mon Black Rock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:47 pm

=
=
The solution is.. ( this year everyone fucked with the system)
First, stop fucking with the system.. The house always wins.. Your system is moot..
Burners register for the tier they can afford, for only the tickets they need.

Let the lottery spin it's self out.. Your ticket didn't come up on your tier?? You stay home.. You scrape up more money and buy post lotto tickets.. Throw your hat in STEP

I intend to spend $400 on a ticket. that is my top dollar. After that I stay home.
unjonharley

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

liz-lemon wrote:I think that if people can't get a permit for their RV then they can find new creative solutions to their dwelling situation. Those people who really need them for their theme camp can still get passes and be allowed.

The tourist buses and lame RVs are huge eye sores… and most of the people are not on vibe with the culture.

If wealthy tourists want their RV's then they should be artistically modified or tailored to the event!!!!!

Wow! I am always amazed when people make such sweeping statements about others of whom they have little or no personal knowledge.

Liz-lemom, I would like to know if over your vast years of observing people at the Event and taking notes of who contributes if you have had time to see any of the large art. I am refering to Crude Awakening, Raygun Gothic Rocketship, Megatropolis, Trojan Horse, Rock Opera, Flaming Lotus Girls Friday night show, to name a few. Virtually every crew member who helped to produce the pyro and special effects stayed in RV's. Both of the drivers who spend their week delivering propane to all the fire art stay in RV's or large buses.
Just what does one need to do to stay within your definition of the VIBE of the Event, in your esteemed opinion?
Last edited by Dustdevil on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't know what else to say.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby dw-net » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:56 pm

liz-lemon wrote:I think that if people can't get a permit for their RV then they can find new creative solutions to their dwelling situation. Those people who really need them for their theme camp can still get passes and be allowed.

I assume you mean the wealthy tourists "should be artistically modified or tailored to the event!!!!!", qué no?
dw-net

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:57 pm

My cap is $400: $390 for the next round and $10 to help Unjohnharley get his ticket.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby maryanimal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Why don't we grab our torches and pitchforks, circle the RVer's and touristas, chant a pox upon them, and run them out of Burning Man on a rail. Better yet, LET'S BURN THEM TO THE GROUND!!!

ahem...sooooo anyone with me??

Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby dw-net » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

unjonharley wrote:=

The solution is.. ( this year everyone fucked with the system)
First, stop fucking with the system.. The house always wins.. Your system is moot..
Burners register for the tier they can afford, for only the tickets they need.

Let the lottery spin it's self out.. Your ticket didn't come up on your tier?? You stay home.. You scrape up more money and buy post lotto tickets.. Throw your hat in STEP

I intend to spend $400 on a ticket. that is my top dollar. After that I stay home.

"stop fucking with the system.."
LOL If a system can be fucked with, it will be! Hardwired into the species!!
For anyone who can take the time and expend the energy and effort that is required to go to BRC to begin with...the concept of "afford" is a moot point! Price tiers are a legacy artifact whose time has come and gone! Universal single price tickets...the wave of the future!!
dw-net

Postby liz-lemon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:54 pm

what the thought is, we are trying get Burning Man's creativity to expand.... we want the whole experience to be as unique, strange and artistic of a sharing experience as possible.

If people need the lame RV's or the bus's for the benefit of others as well as themselves, they will still be awarded them. The can fill out a form saying how they will use it. Burning man gets to decide who goes. I think we should limit this number. This will get people into tighter communities, if they want this comfort without the artistic effort (burning man is about learning to share, and community). If people want a comfy RV and want to get around the system ... they will be forced to make an artistic solution. boo hoo.. i have to make art :)

We want Burning man to stay as creative and positively strange as possible here....

The goal is to have the event and not full of only those who can buy scalped tickets and perhaps not contribute to the creativity of environment....
liz-lemon

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm

You got me. Can you spell TROLL?
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby liz-lemon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Not fully sure what you are referring to here, but.. if your are pointing at my spelling, well I am dyslexic.. Spelling is not my strong area. :P
liz-lemon

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

liz-lemon wrote:Not fully sure what you are referring to here, but.. if your are pointing at my spelling, well I am dyslexic.. Spelling is not my strong area. :P

You just bought your computer yesterday ??
unjonharley

Postby liz-lemon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 pm

poor spelling = computer illiterate?
liz-lemon

Postby A Jester » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:59 pm

liz-lemon wrote:Not fully sure what you are referring to here, but.. if your are pointing at my spelling, well I am dyslexic.. Spelling is not my strong area. :P

I think he was suggesting that he felt your idea was so contrary to one of the ten principles that he didn't think you were serious.

(Just explainin', I'll let you two fight this one out until there's boobs or bacon involved.)
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Personally, I think tents are a noisy, intrusive eyesore to the main camping areas.

Some of the larger tent camps are even so embarassed of them that they attempt to cover their entire camp in Camo netting.

Most of them provide nothing but personal shade and a horrible place to sleep in.

Plus spiders can get in there.

*shudders*

All tent dwellers should be forced to camp in the walk-in camping area in order to make way for more efficient (and attractive) rows of RVs.

Also, it would make things a lot easier for those late comers when they are looking for somewhere to park on Friday and Saturday.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 pm

liz-lemon wrote:what the thought is, we are trying get Burning Man's creativity to expand.... we want the whole experience to be as unique, strange and artistic of a sharing experience as possible.

If people need the lame RV's or the bus's for the benefit of others as well as themselves, they will still be awarded them. The can fill out a form saying how they will use it. Burning man gets to decide who goes. I think we should limit this number. This will get people into tighter communities, if they want this comfort without the artistic effort (burning man is about learning to share, and community). If people want a comfy RV and want to get around the system ... they will be forced to make an artistic solution. boo hoo.. i have to make art :)

We want Burning man to stay as creative and positively strange as possible here....

The goal is to have the event and not full of only those who can buy scalped tickets and perhaps not contribute to the creativity of environment....

"we"? just who, or whom, is "we"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion