Low Income Ticket Program

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Low Income Ticket Program

Postby lucky420 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

HEY!!! Congratulations MYPlayaUserName!!! Ah a big sigh of relief for you.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue May 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Thank you so very much! I am dancing on a dust cloud right now. I am high on joy. I'm so glad I got a ticket home!

It's a bit heartbreaking thinking of folks not getting theirs..or venturing over to the tickets wanted section. A friend told me if I hear of a ticket from $600-$800 to let him know. Are they seriously going for that high now?

I honestly feel like Charlie Bucket when he won the golden ticket. Now just scrambling to think how I can make my small mark this year. I need to splatter paint my tent or something.

I'm still quite curious to know when everyone has been notified about being awarded a ticket or not. Also curious to know just how many applicants there were.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm so happy for you! :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:It's a bit heartbreaking thinking of folks not getting theirs..or venturing over to the tickets wanted section. A friend told me if I hear of a ticket from $600-$800 to let him know. Are they seriously going for that high now?

It's hard to tell what they are going for now. Remember, tickets haven't been printed and mailed yet; that will change the market a lot, as will people who bought their tickets without being sure that they will go, letting go of those tickets.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kalouts1 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 am

Hey Guys !

Just opened my inbox and saw a good News this morning !!!!!
I still do not realize it... I am just aware of how lucky I am.

Congrats to myplayausername and the others as well.

Just wanted to share,

See You over there et comme on dit chez nous.......PUTAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
kalouts1

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

Congrats to you as well kalouts1! And to everyone receiving good news right now.

And thanks so much Savannah--I am happy for me too! I woke up this morning and had to check again to be sure it really happened. It did!
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Wed May 02, 2012 10:56 am

Congratulations, kalouts1!
Savannah

Postby Odia » Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 pm

I got my confirmation email this morning!!! I am very grateful and got instant goosebumps. My heart was sad for all the ticketing fiascos and issues this year thus far. I know everything will work out how it is supposed to. I was really disheartened with the thought of not being able to go home for year number 5. But it is on!!!!!!!!
Odia

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the site, Odia! When you get a chance head on over to the Greeter's Station and tell us about yourself.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby MiguelMenendez » Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Thank The Mighty Penis of Voltron!

My burgin fiancee and I have been awarded low-income tickets. Someone at BMorg is owed a great big hug for making our honeymoon a reality. I am so excited to be going home this year after pretty much loosing all hope.
MiguelMenendez

Postby Savannah » Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Congratulations, MiguelMenendez! Let your success be an overall encouragement not to give up too soon. It's the kind of fortitude that'll get you through an epic dust storm. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Sun May 06, 2012 5:29 am

I found Miguel's previous posts about losing out in the lottery. If you can afford even a tier one ticket, you have no business applying for a LI if we're going by the true intention of the program.

Not to be a party pooper, but this is another example of why if the low income program is going to be upheld, then it needs to happen concurrently with the normal ticket sales so that people that lose out on normal tickets don't use the LI program as a backup.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby ygmir » Sun May 06, 2012 7:15 am

junglesmacks wrote:I found Miguel's previous posts about losing out in the lottery. If you can afford even a tier one ticket, you have no business applying for a LI if we're going by the true intention of the program.

Not to be a party pooper, but this is another example of why if the low income program is going to be upheld, then it needs to happen concurrently with the normal ticket sales so that people that lose out on normal tickets don't use the LI program as a backup.

good points JS! I'm with ya there.

he gamed it, pure.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MiguelMenendez » Sun May 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Savannah!

To junglesmacks:

I gamed the system?

Fuck You. You don't know me, and you don't know my situation. BMorg does. With a combined household income of just over $22,000 a year, my fiancee and I are just fucking rolling in the dough. I guess if it's a financial stretch to afford tickets from the lowest price tier then I shouldn't qualify? I have to skip lunches a few days a week from now until August to afford the transportation to and from BRC. Yeah, I'm undeserving.

Again, sincerely - Fuck you.
MiguelMenendez

Postby kalouts1 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 am

Hey !

I gotta agree with Miguel.. (Not the insult)

One judgment has to be made, and it's the LITP's job ! No one else..
kalouts1

Postby 5280MeV » Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 am

Just to clarify:

Q: If I entered into the pre-sale or main sale drawings but wasn't awarded tickets, can I still apply for low income ticket?
A: Yes. As long as you haven't purchased or obtained a ticket through other means for 2012.

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#lowincome

It's not against the rules as written.

Is this in keeping with the "true intention" of the program?

Low Income tickets are intended for those who cannot afford even our lowest priced tickets.

I dunno.

Just wanted to point that out - I was actually surprised when I read it on the FAQ.
5280MeV

Postby junglesmacks » Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 am

5280MeV wrote:Is this in keeping with the "true intention" of the program?

Low Income tickets are intended for those who cannot afford even our lowest priced tickets.

EXACTLY.

..and it's everyone's business when it's an event that we care very much about is being gamed/abused. I'll call you and others out all. day. long. on it.. and hopefully with enough attention to the subject we can get this loophole closed up for next year.
junglesmacks

Postby lemur » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I'll call you and others out all. day. long. on it.. and hopefully with enough attention to the subject we can get this loophole closed up for next year.

just write an open letter.

i hear that works
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby tamarakay » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm

oh god, what is happening to me that I want to use something lemur said as a signature. I seriously did have a melt down didn't i!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby wh..sh » Mon May 07, 2012 1:42 pm

tamarakay wrote:oh god, what is happening to me that I want to use something lemur said as a signature. I seriously did have a melt down didn't i!

You love lemur... Just accept it, dogdamnit!!!!!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Mon May 07, 2012 1:42 pm

lemur wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I'll call you and others out all. day. long. on it.. and hopefully with enough attention to the subject we can get this loophole closed up for next year.

just write an open letter.

i hear that works

Should I include my earth shattering ticketing solutions for 2013 as well? I heard that there's not enough of them going around and that your thread will get that extra special attention.
junglesmacks

Postby Brainpill » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Congrats to those that have been awarded.
Im curious when the recent awarded submitted their applications.
Brainpill

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 08, 2012 6:50 pm

The applications are not being awarded in order of submission. Some early applicants may still be waiting, while some who sent their application in later may have already gotten news (one way or the other).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby brittknee555 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 am

Who is to judge considering that none of us really know miguel's situation? I applied for a low income ticket and received one... I also applied for the lottery and was rejected. Not that it's anyone's business but I used my tuition reimbursement (which is student loan money that I have to pay back after I graduate) to cushion my bank account in case I was awarded tickets. I was denied tickets and used the money for books and rent like I was originally supposed to. My thought process was this... If I could afford tickets during the time of the lottery then why not apply? It would open up the chance for someone else to get a low income ticket. However, I was denied tickets like so many others, and yes, I did apply for a low income ticket, as was my original intention. Granted, I made sure the low income ticket application mentioned that I had actually applied for the lottery, and showed proof of income and student loan statements. And yes, I realize that this could be considered gaming the system.
However, this also goes to show that even (some) low income applicants can also find a way to save up enough money for a burning man ticket.
I agree that they should run concurrent, if the program is even going to continue to exist. While I am grateful for my ticket, I also know that if the opportunity had arisen for me to purchase one at full price I would have found a way to come up with the money... c'mon, we're mostly creative people, do we really not have ANY way to come up with all the money for a ticket?
brittknee555

Postby brittknee555 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 am

MiguelMenendez wrote:
BBadger wrote:
MiguelMenendez wrote:This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.

So you signed up for a single ticket each?

I signed up for all I could afford - a single $240 ticket. I can't speak for everyone else. Right now the plan is "The Playa will find a way".

That's not much of a plan.

160 is not really that much less that 240... maybe 2 full days of work at minimum wage? I'll pick up two extra shifts to buy a ticket...
brittknee555

Postby Brainpill » Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Thats good to know its not first come first serve with applications. Unfortunitly i was in the middle of a move and couldnt apply till middle of march. Still keeping positive energy to those waiting and mysekf.
Brainpill

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu May 10, 2012 3:46 pm

brittknee555 wrote:...they should run concurrent...

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will swoop in here to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the timing for low income ticket applications is meant to coincide with when people (in the US) are getting the tax forms and other official documents they'll be using as evidence of their income status.

As for the timing of the general and advance sales... I guess they're planned for "as soon as we can reasonably recover from the previous burn"? The more time to prepare for the playa and for major art, the better, so I don't see those ticket dates being pushed back to coincide with tax season/low income applications.

There are probably other reasons to have the processes take place at different times. There are a lot of logistics that go into both, so it could simply be a question of not enough staff/resources. I'm sure a good deal of thought has gone into the non-overlapping timing. :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby deutlich » Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I haven't posted in eplaya in forever, but I did learn last week that I was granted a low-income ticket and I about lost my shit when I read the email.

I. Am. So. Excited.

SO. EXCITED!!!!!!
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 1:53 pm

YAY, DEUTLICH! :mrgreen:
Savannah

Postby Drawingablank » Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 am

deutlich wrote:I haven't posted in eplaya in forever, but I did learn last week that I was granted a low-income ticket and I about lost my shit when I read the email.

I. Am. So. Excited.

SO. EXCITED!!!!!!

Congrats, hopefully we will see more of you on eplaya again.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion