How many people registered for the 'Lottery' sale?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: How many people registered for the 'Lottery' sale?

Postby Undecided » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm

More people than there are available tickets according to the front page.
Chris (Undecided) | 2011 Dusty B'Owl | 2012 Sparklepony Express | Soundcloud
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I don't know whether to take you people seriously or not.

If you figure it out, let me know.
Cause I'm not sure either
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby CornMan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Apparently so: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/01/news ... main-sale/

It would be difficult to remain excited about getting things ready for Burning Man if I do not get tickets in the main drawing. I might still try to go, but it would be at a much reduced scale of extravagance with a much more basic camp. Perhaps this might be the beginning of a "smaller is better" mentality where more people just set up their own personal space and mind their own business more than what we've seen in the past.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby 5280MeV » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:Apparently so: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/01/news ... main-sale/

It would be difficult to remain excited about getting things ready for Burning Man if I do not get tickets in the main drawing. I might still try to go, but it would be at a much reduced scale of extravagance with a much more basic camp. Perhaps this might be the beginning of a "smaller is better" mentality where more people just set up their own personal space and mind their own business more than what we've seen in the past.

I am kinda surprised that this happened. I really thought that ticket scarcity would screw things up around 2014-2015 and I would have a good four years or so to see Burning Man in roughly its current form before it morphed into a new stage. I guess I understand better why some seemed so focused on hoarding as a problem. So much for armchair speculation. Hopefully most things will be more or less ok.

There is very little that I am getting ready specifically for burning man. This would be my hydration system, vent sealing the tent, reflective coating for the tent, my attempt at an evaporative cooler, and some playa-specific survival supplies. Everything else is to be reused at a couple of regional events that I plan on going to - Alchemy for certain. If I cannot make it to Burning Man, I will try to do maybe four or so regional burns and see how that goes. If I do go to burning man, there will probably just be two regionals.

I dunno, I am new to this, have not been to a regional yet, but I am excited to go to them, and I don't see how else this can work. You cannot fit everyone on 447.
5280MeV

Postby pink » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I guess anyone not pulled will hover over their computers at the open sale...at least that sale shouldn't have the hoarding factor. Then all the hoarders will either do the right thing and put their extras up on the BM tix exchange site, and there will be a mad scramble going on in June between hoarders and people that couldn't get tix.

Hoarding rather than scalping is the issue and I hope some of the people that bought WAY in excess get stuck with a bunch of pretty momentoes.

Ok, back to my normal, fairly sunny self until I see a confirm or denial email...
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby CapnJoe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm

ISN'T THE LOTTERY JUST GREAT? IT"LL SOLVE EVERYTHING, NO SCALPERS, YOU'LL GET ALL THE TICKETS YOU WANT! DON'T WORRY!
BULLSHIT!!!!
CapnJoe

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't think anyone is "hoarding" tickets. BMorg made purchasing tickets into a game, and people gamed it. If anyone at bmorg is really surprised this happened, THAT would be the shocker.

No, I didn't purchase more than I needed. I NEEDED six, I received four in the pre-sale. I'm glad I didn't purchase all six as it looks like I already have some wafflers in the mix and I am glad that if I do end up with one extra, I have a safe venue in which to sell.

The STEP program going up in a week or so will help mitigate some of the nervousness, but I don't see a general panic happening. People have concerns, they should be allowed to express them without weirdness coming back at them.

MOST people who want a ticket will end up with a ticket. I don't believe in Karma.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jcoffy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Its easy to sit back and say they should do this or do that......They are trying something out. They will learn the goods and bads of it and grow. Just like the city design change a few years ago...when Center Camp was huge and kind of confusing. The very next year they went back. That may happen here...or they will further change. Sometimes I think you could give Burners a gold bar and they would complain that it was too heavy. Let's just see what happens...and then armchair it.
jcoffy

Postby Zhust » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:Apparently so: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/01/news ... main-sale/

... So let's say 60,000 and just for kicks, I'll assume the same even three-way split: 20,000 orders on each of the three tiers. The numbers then work out like this:

For the 20000 orders willing to pay for Tier 1:
- 3333 (16.7%) get tickets.
- 16667 (83.3%) get no ticket at all.

For the 20000 orders willing to pay for Tier 2:
- 3333 (16.7%) get Tier 1 tickets.
- 7500 (37.5%) get Tier 2 tickets.
- 10833 (54.2%) get a ticket and 9167 (45.8%) get no ticket at all.

For the 20000 orders willing to pay for Tier 3:
- 3333 (16.7%) get Tier 1 tickets.
- 7500 (37.5%) get Tier 2 tickets.
- 9167 (45.8%) get Tier 3 tickets.
- 20000 (100%) get a ticket and 0 (0%) get no ticket at all.

Of the 40000 tickets for sale, only 34167 are sold.
Of the 60000 orders placed, 25833 go unfulfilled.

... glad I speculated on Tier 3. We shall see.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion