Check Your Balance!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Check Your Balance!

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 am

Registration for the main sale has ended. Next, the database will be de-duped and then scrubbed for known scammers and scalpers. That's a process that could take hours, or it could take days. Once finished, the drawing will begin.

Make sure you have enough money for tickets in your account now!

Whether that means paying down a balance on a credit card or transferring money into the account linked to your debit card, make sure you have the available funds to cover the purchase plus the fees in your account now. If your card is declined for any reason, the sale will not be processed and the tickets will go to someone else and you'll have to try again in the secondary sale. Don't let that happen to you!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Check Your Balance!

Postby skyhawkecks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 pm

My debit card was declined in the pre-sale even though it had way more than enough funds and the bank that issued it has no transaction limitations. Hopefully that won't happen again for this main sale...
skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Check your daily spending limits (covered in other posts/threads), and contact your bank to make sure they'll make the exception to accommodate the purchase). No bank puts out a debit card with no daily spending limit, they do it as a fraud prevention measure.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Milayna » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I used a debit card to register, I have plenty of funds, and I only registered for one ticket so I'm way under the daily spending limit. However, I'd like to call my bank and make sure they don't decline the charge due to "fraud prevention" which they have done to me once before a couple years ago.

SO could anyone tell me who the charge will be coming from, like what the name of the merchant will show up as? That way I can tell them to approve all charges from that merchant.....

Thanks!
Milayna

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Milayna wrote:SO could anyone tell me who the charge will be coming from, like what the name of the merchant will show up as? That way I can tell them to approve all charges from that merchant.....
Thanks!

In years past the words "Burning Man" were on it, as well as a (415) phone number.
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby skyhawkecks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 pm

trilobyte wrote:Check your daily spending limits (covered in other posts/threads), and contact your bank to make sure they'll make the exception to accommodate the purchase). No bank puts out a debit card with no daily spending limit, they do it as a fraud prevention measure.

I discussed the daily spending limit with my bank as well and all of the ticket prices were well below the daily spending limit. I'll call them again to let them know about a possible incoming Burning Man ticket purchase.
skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Milayna » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! I found this thread in eplaya viewtopic.php?f=290&t=52950 that gives really exact information on what the charge will look like. Called my bank and had them make a note on my account so the charge will definitely go through :)
Milayna

Postby jorgebongo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I emailed them about who the LLC what would the name who would charge my card and they replied Burning Man. Thats how it would show up.
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand man.
jorgebongo

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm

BUMP.

Thanks for the reminder!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby drutter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reminder, OP.
I've got room and it's a credit card without any limit that could come into play, so I'm not worried about that. Definitely worried I won't be "picked" to get tickets though. In previous years I've always sat in line to get cheap tickets because that's how I can afford the trip, so I put the lowest price as my maximum this year (basically what I've always done). Except this year, it's not up to my diligence getting in line at the right time.... it's random-ish. Ugh :( Fingers crossed!!!
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

There was a certain element of randomness in the process in years past, too - a sizable chunk of people who camped in front of their computers either weren't able to get through as quickly or got kicked out as the servers choked under the strain. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 pm

I got kicked out of line in 2009 and got a Tier 3, which (if I remember correctly) was the same as if I'd not been in line all day at all. Heh.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby drutter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:10 pm

trilobyte wrote:There was a certain element of randomness in the process in years past, too - a sizable chunk of people who camped in front of their computers either weren't able to get through as quickly or got kicked out as the servers choked under the strain. Good luck!

Thanks!
Yeah, I was one of those who got screwed by the servers last year, but somehow through luck and a lot of clicking, help from the forums, and so forth I managed to regain my status just in time to get the cheap tickets I'd taken the day off to snag. :) But yeah, some lost out. My fix would have been to make sure the servers didn't crash that way again, rather than turning tickets into a lottery, but I'm just one Burner.
My hope is that those calling the shots will listen closely to the feedback they get. If Burners hate it, I hope they'll actually listen and change. Not a random change, but a change in the direction the majority of Burners want it to go. It feels very powerless and hopeless when those in positions of power don't follow the needs and desires of those they're serving. We get that all the time from our governments and corporations... and many of us hope Burning Man won't go that way. :)
Not trying to start shit, just expressing my thoughts, feel free to ignore, and all the best!
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm

FYI, I bought tickets in the pre-sale, and this is what appeared on my (online) credit-card bill:

BURNING MAN 0010 SAN FRANCISCO CA
0 Entertainment Entertainment -
Sports Events
415-865-3800

Description

ADMISSION/TICK

Doing Business As: BLACK ROCK CITY LLC
Merchant Address: 995 MARKET ST 15 FLOOR
SAN FRANCISCO
CA
UNITED STATES
Mitch

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 pm

drutter wrote:My fix would have been to make sure the servers didn't crash that way again, rather than turning tickets into a lottery, but I'm just one Burner.
My hope is that those calling the shots will listen closely to the feedback they get. If Burners hate it, I hope they'll actually listen and change. Not a random change, but a change in the direction the majority of Burners want it to go. It feels very powerless and hopeless when those in positions of power don't follow the needs and desires of those they're serving. We get that all the time from our governments and corporations... and many of us hope Burning Man won't go that way. :)
Not trying to start shit, just expressing my thoughts, feel free to ignore, and all the best!

As has been stated elsewhere in this forum, even the big boys have server crashes when a lot of people try to get tickets at once. Also, once there are more people interested in going than there are chances to go, there will have to be a process to decide who does go. The llc took a lot of thought in choosing this. This also includes and opportunity to get rid of known scalpers. How this will all play out is unknown, but I'm sure that they will incorporate lessons learned next year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby starbaby777 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 am

Ugh the suspense is killing me!
Funds in my account haven't moved yet..
Waiting, waiting... :roll:
starbaby777

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:39 am

Take deep breaths, relax. You've got until Tuesday/Wednesday of next week before there will be results.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BetaBox » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 am

Still have to check every hour :mrgreen:
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion