2012 Burning Man tickets for sale 3rd party. $1,500 each.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

2012 Burning Man tickets for sale 3rd party. $1,500 each.

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:41 pm

I found this on craigslist.

[Link Removed]

And on Ebay somebody has tickets for $1,610.

[Link Removed]
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Re: 2012 Burning Man tickets for sale 3rd party. $1,500 each

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

It states on the First Base Tickets site that some tickets will be ready to ship on 3-1-12 and some will be ready to ship on 2-1-12. Knowing that won't happen, it would be fun to purchase the tickets and stipulate that you want next day shipping. When they don't arrive, demand a refund or dispute the charge on your credit card.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:27 pm

I have a feeling that they are going to choke on these tickets this year. People are much less likely to panic like in 2011.
Sham

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:29 pm

I totally agree. I am a little surprised to see it this early. It makes me wonder if they have purchased tickets on the first round or are counting on getting tickets in the next pass.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Or if someone bought holiday tickets and just passed them off to a re-seller rather than to gift or mess with selling them themselves? Unlikely, but not impossible.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:16 pm

This is also the reason the physical tickets are shipping so late this year. You can't buy actual hard tickets- you're basically giving money to someone and hoping they ship you tickets in 6 months. I seriously doubt there will be anyone that desperate this early, but as I said in another thread- never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Eric wrote:...never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity.

Unless, of course, you have some sort of sick pay off for being shocked.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm

If someone actually buys that, the money has been liberated from someone undeserving of it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:23 pm

I just saw 4 tickets for sale on a popular auction site for $3450. Seller wont ship until August but still charges $15 for Fed ex 2nd day. What a slime! But hey, if someone is stupid enough to pay that I guess I can't blame them. They even have a fake image of a ticket that looks like a 3rd grader made it. I personally love that they get mailed so late. I hope this person has absolutely no desire to go & eats the tikets. Its just too bad that these are 4 tickets that a burner wont get at a fair price.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Maybe, maybe not.

For those tickets to sell at that price either they will have to be bought by the proverbial fool soon parted from his money, or for a complete dearth of tickets in August. That seller may not have the opportunity to lower ticket prices enough to sell by late August...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Here you go: $1600 each for 1-6 tickets. The seller has a 100% positive rating. Probably among people named Cletus.

[Link Removed]

"The price is PER TICKET, or for 1 SINGLE TICKET and NOT for all 6 tickets. If you wish to purchase more than 1 ticket (up to all 6 available tickets), please increase quantity and price will automatically be updated at checkout.

This listing allows you to buy from from 1 to 6 Tickets to see Burning Man 2012 at Black Rock City on 8/27/2012.

These seats are located:
Section: GA,
Row: GA

Notes: Tickets will be ready to ship by 8/21/2012"
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Sham » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

There is something very illegal about selling something on eBay that you don't have in your possession. This is a big reason that tickets are delayed in going out this year. If the scalpers can get their sweaty hands on the tickets, they can jack the prices up and sell them.
It will be interesting to see if someone is stupid enough to buy a ticket for a venue that is not sold out.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 pm

It will be interesting to see if anyone is going to spend between now and July flagging every post with smoke tickets in to ebay...

Of course, the lawyers have no problem finding other items with "burningman" in the title.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I receive an email saying the scalping has begun! Ticket from $700-$1450 per ticket...I think these folks will be stuck with tickets.

[Link Removed]
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Sham » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Yes, resist scalpers at all costs.
The scenario last year was a bit of panic when tickets sold out. After the shock hit, there were plenty of tickets up for sale from regular old dusty burners who could not go. Those were sold at cost for the most part.
The thing that will hammer the snot out of the scalpers is if people can just stay calm and don't pay over face value.
Sham

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:42 pm

I knew scalpers back in the day at University, there no way a pro is going to sit on his money for an event that is six months or more away...

Buy today sell tomorrow is how they roll, or buy online to events they have experience with, like Garth Brooks, Hannah Montana, Football Games of note. Not a one time festival a year.

Will there be scalpers? I can guarantee it, but they will be the hacks imo that have no clue what they are doing.

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby The CO » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 am

mdmf007 wrote:Buy today sell tomorrow is how they roll, or buy online to events they have experience with, like Garth Brooks, Hannah Montana, Football Games of note. Not a one time festival a year.

I agree so much, I said it last year!

In August of last year, I wrote:Lets do a little math.

50000 tickets at at average of $300 each =$15,000,000

In order to insure that they control the majority (2/3rds) of tickets, this mythical scalping conglomerate need ten million dollars. TEN MILLION DOLLARS.

Next, you can only by four (4) tickets per credit card. That means they need 8334 credit cards to purchase them, entering each number individually.

Then, they have to buy them all on the first day. Let's call it January 15th.

Now, they have to sit on a TEN MILLION DOLLAR ($10,000,000) investment for the next 8 months. If they try to sell before August, people will not buy them.

Scalpers do not work at long term investments. They want to get a ticket & turn it around @ a profit in the shortest amount of time possible. As in hours. Not days. Not weeks. Not months. Not three-quarters of a year.

Some one that can drop that kind of cash and sit on it for 8 months.... is not a scalper. It's the guy in the $200,000 custom motor coach.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby pearl42160 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am

Are we allowed to resell tickets? I am not looking to make a profit just not 100% sure if I do even get a ticket of my attendance because I plan on going alone and need to figure out the logistics of getting there, our, sleeping etc... Just curious first timer.
pearl42160

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 am

With the exception of low income tickets, yes they are transferrable. You can sell or give them away.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Sham » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 am

Yes, you can sell your ticket. The tickets will be mailed out around June and you can sell the ticket at that time. But even better, why don't you just go and see what this thing is all about?
Sham

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 am

I think I am going to sell an extra ticket to the lowest bidder with terms and conditions.

Those terms are I must be paid with a money order.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I think I am going to sell an extra ticket to the lowest bidder with terms and conditions.

I bid nothing! You're money order is in the mail...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:I think I am going to sell an extra ticket to the lowest bidder with terms and conditions.

I bid nothing! You're money order is in the mail...

-$1,000. I order him to send me money... and the ticket.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby johneed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am

IF we win the lottery for 2 tickets, and IF our plans change, we'll use the intended process to resell our tickets for exactly what we paid (or less) to individuals planning to attend the event (not scalpers). I understand this community is anti-scalper and I respect that viewpoint.

Over the years, I have done some scalping (buying at one price and attempting to resell at a higher price). I have mostly done tickets, but also other short-supply items. I don't particularly care what anyone else thinks about it. In light of some of the previous comments in this thread, thought I would share personal factual experience scalping tickets on eBay.

For a few years, I paid double-face value for season tickets to a popular NFL venue. I typically wanted to attend only 1-2 games, so I would list the other games on eBay. I would create the eBay listings WAY before the tickets were to be distributed. This was shortly after the game schedule was released, after my connection had to submit payment to the team, and after I had to submit payment to my connection. I was quite clear in my auctions that the tickets would not be available for months. I asked for 50% down-payment, with the balance due after I received the tickets, before I mailed them out.

IT WAS NO PROBLEM selling these tickets, EVER! Quite a few people chose to just pay me in full, months before I even received the tickets. I always reconnected with each seller when I received the tickets to make sure they hadn't moved or whatever. This went on for 3-4 years and never had even the slightest bit of problems.

Not trying to start a debate about the ungodliness of scalping, just sharing personal factual experience.
Last edited by johneed on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
johneed

Postby jella » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:48 am

Just my two cents for what's it worth.
This is not a sporting event, it's a community. I am a three time burner and by no means plan to tell anyone how they should burn. I confess I still hold burners to a slightly higher principle and still choose to sell my occasional extra ticket at face value to a never ending supply of burner friends and I do not use the word friend loosly. Be on the outside looking in scalp and profit but..become a member of our community and you wouldn't want to profit either.

ok I've said my peace, carry on.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Jella, she said she was gonna sell them at face value NOT for profit in the first paragraph, she is just laying out guidelines that she uses for other tickets which would work for these also, if the buyer chose to buy them that way.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Johneed, I have friends who have done the same. I just roll my eyes at the posts about scalpers not wanting to invest etc. Large scale organized ones won't for sure, but the smaller ones similar to the situation you describe? Or some frat boy who is only going for the party? Sure, why not.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jella » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Jella, she said she was gonna sell them at face value NOT for profit in the first paragraph, she is just laying out guidelines that she uses for other tickets which would work for these also, if the buyer chose to buy them that way.

:oops: Your absolutly right OED ..I appolgize Johneed for my hasty response.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby johneed » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 am

No worries!

Yeah, I was just pointing out that is is not prohibited to sell something not yet in your possession, and there are tons of buyers out there willing and able to play that game.

What happened last year on eBay, and what often happens in these situations: ticked off people create new bogus eBay accounts and post outrageously high bids on the ticket auctions, driving up the price to uber insane levels. Of course, they do not pay. This tends to be only a minor deterrent to the eBay scalper, as they can relist for free, and I think you can also prevent accounts w/o a handful of positive feedback from bidding on your auctions.
johneed

Postby forty_eight » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Now, I am curious ... there are (55) tickets on stub hub. I wonder if stub hub will tell people how many transactions they broker? lol

Interesting to watch anyway!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion