How hard are they on the"no under 18 without a parent" thing

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How hard are they on the"no under 18 without a parent" thing

Postby alaskaandpudge » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:46 am

Im hoping to get tickets for my best friend and I this year. At the time of the event she will be 2 weeks shy of her 18th birthday. If we showed up with a note of consent from her mother, or perhaps a video recording of her giving her consent, would they accept that? Keeping in mind that Ill be 18 at the time.
alaskaandpudge

Re: How hard are they on the"no under 18 without a parent" t

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:54 am

I am pretty sure it's like a drinking alcohol thing. If you miss by a day, you are not legal.
You might consider bringing one of her parents with you to actually tell them in person that it's alright to have her spend a week in the desert with you.
The last thing you want is to be turned around at the gate because of your age. Is there another adult who would be able to go with you to be your guardians at the event?
Sham

Postby moonrise » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 am

I think you can be her legal guardian if you are 18.

The drinking age is 21 in Nevada.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 am

I seem to recall that any adult could be the sponsor for an 18-21 year old. I was in the past for a fellow camp mate. No one ever asked about it. It never came up going through the gate.

Worth checking into. Then find a willing over-21 camper to act as sponsor.

Cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 am

Yeah, with the new FAQ, the I didn't spot the minor thing posted. At least you're not fishing for a random stranger to be the legal guardian, that gets posts sent to quarantine as it is dangerous and possibly illegal. (for anyone else reading and thinking about the same thing)

Until we get a more solid answer, be sure her mother provides solid backup as to an emergency situation, a plan if you, or your friend becomes ill or injured out there. It can and does happen.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 am

AntiM,
To enlarge on your excellent point:
It cuts both ways. No one should agree to sponsor a minor if they do not trust the minor to behave reasonably. If the minor gets in trouble the sponsor will get dragged in as well. It very much needs to be rational and responsible mutual thing. Randomly sponsoring unknown minors would be down right stupid. Likewise any minor that would look for random adult sponsorship should be banned.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby actiongrl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:50 am

I believe it might depend also on laws in your home state about who can be declared guardian. You definitely need a legal note from the parent assigning temporary guardianship. You also want to be sure you're really ready to say, act on the person's behalf in a medical emergency, or other issues of personal liability. Very real issues. First step is frank talk with the parents before you commit to this.
actiongrl

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm

moonrise wrote:I think you can be her legal guardian if you are 18.

The drinking age is 21 in Nevada.

Nope - From the BM FAQ:

Q. How much is a ticket for my child?
A. Children 12 and under accompanied by a parent will be admitted for free. Children between 13-18 require full-price tickets. Children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian over 21 years of age. If you plan to bring a child, please read the Kids at Burning Man survival guide.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion