2 tickets limit???

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

2 tickets limit???

Postby RatsBikes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 pm

I've been to the Burn many times, 14 or 15 I guess, but it looks like I won't be able to get tickets this year. I'm the only adult in my family, with two nieces and their three friends all dying to go, but there doesn't seem to be any way I can buy that many tickets. I couldn't really afford the pre-sale, and didn't realize that might have been my only chance to get enough tickets until it was too late.
I operate Rats Bikes and these kids have been around Burners and heard all about the playa for years, and they love it deeply. Now they're old enough to go but... How do I tell them most of their friends won't be able to go because I can't buy enough tickets?? Am I overlooking something here???
RatsBikes

Re: 2 tickets limit???

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

RatsBikes wrote:I've been to the Burn many times, 14 or 15 I guess, but it looks like I won't be able to get tickets this year. I'm the only adult in my family, with two nieces and their three friends all dying to go, but there doesn't seem to be any way I can buy that many tickets. I couldn't really afford the pre-sale, and didn't realize that might have been my only chance to get enough tickets until it was too late.
I operate Rats Bikes and these kids have been around Burners and heard all about the playa for years, and they love it deeply. Now they're old enough to go but... How do I tell them most of their friends won't be able to go because I can't buy enough tickets?? Am I overlooking something here???

You are: Have their parents buy the tickets, then reimburse them for the cost (or give them the money upfront if you are able & they can't afford it otherwise).

The low ticket limit for the Main Sale is to keep down on scalpers & scammers, there are always going to be an extremely small percentage of cases like your that get caught it in.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby RatsBikes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Eric, I appreciate your answer, but that's already been discussed and rejected. It's taken two years to get their permission for the kids to go, and they wouldn't mind in the least if "I" can't get the tickets. Every other aspect of the kids' going was already worked out over a lot of discussion, and no one anticipated a problem getting tickets. I'm afraid it will prove to be the 'Bridge Too far', but thanks for your suggestion. I'll have to find a way to work it out somehow.
RatsBikes

Postby VultureChow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Do you have two or more addresses?

Business, home etc? Could you use the neices' address?

If so, what about using your card for one set of 2, and getting two more prepaid credit cards for the others. You can assign the different names to each card and use the other addresses.

Not sure if this is considered "gaming" the system or not.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:00 pm

If the parents/guardians are completely unwilling to register for tickets on behalf of their children, you may not have the permission and support regarding the event that you think you've got. I'd suggest talking to the adults, you can offer to get a prepaid credit card in their name (if tying up funds in their account is an issue). Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RatsBikes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 pm

You misunderstand. It's not a question of having the parents' permission, it's more a matter of not wanting to put cash or a credit card into unreliable hands. But I think my biggest problem with this new system is that it REQUIRES me to go to other people to get something done I'd rather do myself. And it's obvious it won't accomplish what it's -if I understand correctly- supposed to do: cut down on ticket scalping. The scalpers will simply use more people to buy the tickets.
Anyway..., thanks for the comments. Right now I'm leaning toward bypassing this year and maybe do more advance planning for next. :(
RatsBikes

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm sorry that you don't have/know other responsible adults in your life that you can rely upon. The old system had ticket limits on initial sale/lower tiers too. And as for scalpers, it does offer some protection/safeguards against that - first in registration (where known scalpers and their proxies can be scrubbed from the list), but also in that the June ticket fulfillment makes for a significantly longer financial/time commitment than an unrestricted open sale.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion