How many tickets are you registering for?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How many tickets are you registering for?

Postby Flame » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm

An interesting question that doesn't seem to be factored into the system is how many tickets will the "average" burner register for. I think that anyone that can afford to do so will register for more than 1, so that if they get them they can sell them at face-value to friends who don't get any. Almost everyone I know is either doing this, or the more economically challenged are just registering for what they need at what they can afford. In any event, this will put the average number of tickets that each person registers for above 1. This means that registration numbers won't reflect true need. For example, if the average is 1.5 registered tickets per person and 60,000 people register, that means 90,000 tickets will be registered for. This will create an odd situation when people that get more than they need go about re-distributing these tickets.

So as a result, I think we can all assume with a high degree of likelihood that all of the tickets from the pre-sale and main sale will be sold, with a fairly high number of people not getting tickets and an almost as high number of people getting too many tickets. This will create a 4th means of getting tickets (the open sale being a 3rd)-- the resale market. I expect this market to be very robust this year, and I don't think that it will be so obvious. I do understand that the Burning Man organization will provide a resale system to deal with this, so you would think it would be obvious. But most of this market will likely happen in private transaction first, with people selling extras to friends and family. Once these side transactions are done playing out and people are satisfied that their friends, family, and camp members are all covered, then they will participate in the open resale system with any remaining tickets.

So what I'm really curious about is what everyone's plan is in this regard. I'm trying to get somewhat of a survey on this, to see where that average number lies. Because, in a lot of ways, that average number will have dramatic effect on the overall system.

I'll be honest here and tell you what I know so far. I myself will be registering for 4 in the pre-sale, for me and my boyfriend plus 2 to cover friends, family, and camp memebers that might not get tickets. My boyfriend will be registering separately for 2 in the main sale. Now, if we get all 4 in pre-sale, he will register for 2 at the $240 level to help out some economically challenged camp members who won't be able to go unless they get this level. If we don't get any in pre-sale, he will register for 2 at full price (and 4 of the 2 from my pre-sale registration should carry over to the main sale). This puts our personal registration number at 3 per person. Surveying fellow camp memebers, most of them look like they are planning on registering for 2 per person in the main sale. There is still a debate about pre-sale, but at only $30 per ticket more than the highest main-sale tier, I think people are leaning toward doing it to increase odds. A few of our more economically challenged campers are registering at 1 per person. So our camp of roughly 50 burners looks like we'll have an average of just above 2 "registered for" tickets per person, or 100 registered tickets to cover 50 people. What is everyone else's plan?
Flame

Re: How many tickets are you registering for?

Postby unjonharley » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 pm

I will be asking for one ticket..
unjonharley

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I will register for 2 tickets (for myself and son) and my daughter will register for 1. We are a family of three and that is all we will need.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:25 pm

One ticket for me.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Honestly, I was going to see if a friend in my camp wanted to make a deal. If I could find one person in my camp who only buys a single ticket for themselves, then we could both go for 2 each and up our chances of getting a ticket. If we both got picked, our other 2 tix would be easily sold.

However, I would MUCH rather not deal with that hassle, so therefore I will most likely only get one for myself. Ive always really disliked transactions or making deals with friends like this, and I dont like using my credit card. I still might see if someone wants to do this, why not? I dont know what to do. I would rather not, i would rather just get my own ticket. UNSURE. Most likely not since thats a LOT to put on a card.

I will be registering for January lotto at whatever the high bid is, $390 or some ghastly amount that I wont really give a shit about once I kiss playa ground.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby wh..sh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I will register for 4 if my friend decides to come from out of country. Else 2.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I need 3 Tix for my group. We are going to apply for 6 tickets (2 each). 2 tickets at the $240 only level and the other 4 at all price levels.

LOL...Either I'll get nothing...or I'll get all 6. Either way, because of the reasons stated above, I believe there will be plenty of tickets out there up until it gets closer to the event.

Gonna err on the side of caution and deal with the resale market if I have to.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:18 am

ygmir wrote:0

Er, what?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 am

AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:0

Er, what?

I don't actually need one either.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby remi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 am

I will register for 4 presales. If I don't get them, then I'll register for 2x390$ main sale tickets.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 am

Yggy works perimeter and gets in free. "Will Work For Ticket" I believe is what the sign he was holding last year said.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Sassy Britches » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:08 am

Registering for 2 - 1 for my husband, 1 for me.
Sassy Britches

Postby NessaZee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 am

none.

...i think maybe this is my year off.

if things change later on down the road, an available ticket will pop up closer to the end of august. :mrgreen:
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby sandypandy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 pm

like last year, i'm registering for as many tickets i can get. our camp had a great plan last year, and we sold our excess tickets on ebay for enough money to pay for our entire trip - plus a couple days in reno + food. this is definitely the way to go for 2012, as tickets are going to sell out again.

let the yuppies pay more to go - they can afford it. artists need a way to fund their trip, and this is the way forward.

can't wait for next year! see you there!

SP
sandypandy

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 pm

sandypandy wrote:like last year, i'm registering for as many tickets i can get. our camp had a great plan last year, and we sold our excess tickets on ebay for enough money to pay for our entire trip - plus a couple days in reno + food. this is definitely the way to go for 2012, as tickets are going to sell out again.

let the yuppies pay more to go - they can afford it. artists need a way to fund their trip, and this is the way forward.

So scalping tickets is your "way forward"?

Shame on you.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby sandypandy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm

>>So scalping tickets is your "way forward"?

>>Shame on you.

hey - times are rough, especially for artists. BM tickets can be scalped because yuppies have homogenized the city. i say - take whatever you can grab! yuppies have no problem paying over $1k per ticket. i work in a coffee house and share a house with 10 people - i'm an artist, and this is an arts festival. who is going to show the yuppies a good time if people like me can't afford to go? DPW? i think not.

burning man is at a stage of evolution that tells us: profit at will! ahead warp factor 10, scotty!
Last edited by sandypandy on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandypandy

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm

I totally stole my neighbors hedge trimmers! Things is rough all over!

(He's fine. He has a nice big house.)
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sandypandy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 pm

fight the power, brother!
sandypandy

Postby NessaZee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:10 pm

hangin' out in front of mah screen waiting for the mice to take the bait...

booorrrr-ing.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby Elderberry » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm registering for 18.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby sandypandy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 pm

>>hangin' out in front of mah screen waiting for the mice to take the bait...

>>booorrrr-ing.

says the canadian sitting in his igloo. tired of seal meat yet?
sandypandy

Postby Minxy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Will and I will probably be registered (with other non-Burner family member help) for at least 6 tickets. We have friends that are perennially poor and/or off in a mental never-never land of airheadedness and who ALWAYS are hitting us up for any extra tickets we have. We also like to have a gift ticket (or two) around just in case.

We have NEVER had an issue selling off our extra tickets to close buds/camp members. If we manage to get our hands on ticket confirmations early on we can make a bunch of people (who don't have space on a credit card to enter) extremely happy.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:42 pm

After much thought, I decided on three, because there is one person who I know will need a ticket and will not have the means to enter the lottery, and if she is not attending, I know of another who would be the perfect gift recipient. Because Larry and I each need a ticket, then three at the highest price makes more sense than two at a lower tier and a mad scramble for the third. I hate taking the hit financially, but I can manage pennies well enough to make room in the budget.

What I cannot afford and very much desire, is full priced genetic testing for the BRAC one and two genes. I'm in a study, and the test is offered, but my health insurance will probably turn it down. Costs as much as a halfway decent used car. If my insurance does say yes, it still costs as much as a ticket, less even.

Ah, priorities.

Although last year, after the sell out, I laid hands on four tickets, not scalped, and not over face. I know some damn fine people, and they made four other damn fine people very happy! However, this might not be the case this year. So presale it is, a gift of serenity to myself.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby moonrise » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm

I asked around in my circle just in case someone needed help buying a ticket. We all feel if we win we win, if not there will be tickets somewhere, somehow, we hope!
No intentions of gaming the system from me and mine.

I am gonna stfu regarding the poster(s) who are stating they will game and scalp tickets to yuppies...except to say...they are Yippies you fucking idiot! Get it right, dumbass! and uh, no you do NOT get a fuck yer day from me and mine...(words cannot express what you should get...wellll.....maybe a scalper beating like Nipple suggested!)

I registered for one for myself. My circle of burner freinds did the same.

Fuck yer day eplayans! (please, leave me in the dust!!)
Love, Moon ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:13 pm

One ticket.
Savannah

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

sandypandy wrote:>>So scalping tickets is your "way forward"?

>>Shame on you.

hey - times are rough, especially for artists. BM tickets can be scalped because yuppies have homogenized the city. i say - take whatever you can grab! yuppies have no problem paying over $1k per ticket. i work in a coffee house and share a house with 10 people - i'm an artist, and this is an arts festival. who is going to show the yuppies a good time if people like me can't afford to go? DPW? i think not.

burning man is at a stage of evolution that tells us: profit at will! ahead warp factor 10, scotty!

If you share some "artistic" work of yours, I can decide if you are more entertaining than DPW or not.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Bunch of greedy fucking bastards. Register for what you and your immediate family need, no more. If the event degenerates to hoarders and scalpers over-buying just in case, it probably is not worth attending. If like Minxy sez, buying tickets for folks that don't get their act together until too late, well it should really be too late for them. They really are not 'self-reliant'. And to those that buy a bunch and scalp them on ebay with enuff mark-up to cover their own event costs, you are people I do not want to camp anywhere near.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby shykat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Bunch of greedy fucking bastards. Register for what you and your immediate family need, no more. If the event degenerates to hoarders and scalpers over-buying just in case, it probably is not worth attending. If like Minxy sez, buying tickets for folks that don't get their act together until too late, well it should really be too late for them. They really are not 'self-reliant'. And to those that buy a bunch and scalp them on ebay with enuff mark-up to cover their own event costs, you are people I do not want to camp anywhere near.
What he said.........
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby pink » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 pm

One like always, unless someone from my camp cannot come up with the cash. Just got a new credit card with 0% interest for a year, so they could pay me over time too.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion