Sign the Change.org petition to stop lottery

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Sign the Change.org petition to stop lottery

Postby Sasha Amara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm

For those of us who need to PLAN for BM 2012 and cannot wait till SUMMER to see if we are "chosen" to buy a ticket, please sign this petition. Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-th ... et-lottery
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead
Sasha Amara

Re: Sign the Change.org petition to stop lottery

Postby Savannah » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

I realize this may not change your mind, but I wanted to let you know that you will not wait until summer to find out if you have successfully purchased a ticket.

Q: When does my credit card get charged?
A: After the random selection is complete, your credit card will be charged. For the Pre-Sale, that would be on or before December 19, 2011. For the Main Sale, that would be on or before February 1.

Q: How will I be notified that I have or have not been awarded tickets?
A: You will be emailed (at the email address you provided during registration) after the random selection process is complete and your credit card has been charged.

The physical tickets will be sent in the mail in June.

Q: Why are physical tickets being sent out so late this year?
A: This limits the period of time that physical tickets spend in the market, thereby keeping the secondary market cooled down. It will also make it less likely that people will lose their tickets (a perennial problem). We’re also working to send the Survival Guide with the ticket at the same time.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... t_faq.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sasha Amara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

What if I don't "win" a ticket until the last "lottery"...? I can't even believe I am asking this question.... ridiculous..absurd..sad..pathetic for a 10 year burner to have the money to go and yet, there is a real possibility that I will not get "chosen".
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead
Sasha Amara

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Sasha Amara wrote:What if I don't "win" a ticket until the last "lottery"...? I can't even believe I am asking this question.... ridiculous..absurd..sad..pathetic for a 10 year burner to have the money to go and yet, there is a real possibility that I will not get "chosen".

you might consider reading the tons of threads already here, regarding your thoughts and concerns. as well as the other petitions..........

You have a very, very good chance of being chosen, if you think and do the math..........again, it's addressed all over the ticket threads.

good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Your last post seems to suggest you have not actually read the ticket information or the FAQ that were posted on Friday night (linked in my signature). You may wish to consider it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Sasha Amara wrote:For those of us who need to PLAN for BM 2012 and cannot wait till SUMMER to see if we are "chosen" to buy a ticket, please sign this petition. Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-th ... et-lottery

Rather than signing a petition, I suggest you just change your plans and don't go. Nothing you do and no petition will change the situation this late in the game. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, there's no getting it back in.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sasha Amara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Ok, well, I have read all of the ticket info and FAQ's and I must be missing something here.......?

If you are NOT "randomly selected" from the "pool", then you cannot get a ticket , yes?????

Is that not the bottom line?
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead
Sasha Amara

Postby VultureChow » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Sasha Amara wrote:Ok, well, I have read all of the ticket info and FAQ's and I must be missing something here.......?

If you are NOT "randomly selected" from the "pool", then you cannot get a ticket , yes?????

Read again. In addition to the lottery, there are 10,000 tickets that go up for sale on a first come first served basis in March.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Apparently, yeah you missed some stuff. The drawings for the main sale happen in January, winners will be notified on/before February 1. The secondary sale will take place in March, I suspect those who are able to get tickets would know immediately. Ticket fulfillment (ie mailing out tickets) is what doesn't happen until June.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am

Sasha Amara wrote:Ok, well, I have read all of the ticket info and FAQ's and I must be missing something here.......?

There are over 40,000 tickets in the pre-sale & main draws. Think about that number. More people than that have to register either for pre-sale or in the 2 week window for everyone to not get tickets. Could it happen? Yes? Should you be having a massive freak-out about it? That's up to you, but I'm entering the Main drawing & I'm pretty damn confident that I'll have a ticket on or before Feb 1 (well, not the physical one, but I'm fine with the knowledge it'll be coming in June).

You can, of course, continue to create nightmare scenarios in your head based on nothing but speculation. Seems to be the trendy thing to do.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:59 am

Eric wrote:

There are over 40,000 tickets in the pre-sale & main draws. Think about that number. More people than that have to register either for pre-sale or in the 2 week window for everyone to not get tickets. Could it happen? Yes? Should you be having a massive freak-out about it? That's up to you, but I'm entering the Main drawing & I'm pretty damn confident that I'll have a ticket on or before Feb 1 (well, not the physical one, but I'm fine with the knowledge it'll be coming in June).

You can, of course, continue to create nightmare scenarios in your head based on nothing but speculation. Seems to be the trendy thing to do.

That, and if you REALLY have an issue with being part of a random selection/lottery/whatever, then you are still free to buy your ticket just like you have in the past by getting in line with everyone else for the last 10k tickets in March.

"III. SECONDARY OPEN SALE -- 10,000 TICKETS (INCLUDING ANY REMAINING TICKETS FROM MAIN SALE) -- MARCH 2012 -- $390 + s/h -- LIMIT 4 PER PERSON

Once the Main Sale is completed, 10,000 tickets will be held aside for open sale, plus any unclaimed tickets from the Main Sale.
These tickets will be sold until they are gone."

Sasha Amara wrote:What if I don't "win" a ticket until the last "lottery"...? I can't even believe I am asking this question.... ridiculous..absurd..sad..pathetic for a 10 year burner to have the money to go and yet, there is a real possibility that I will not get "chosen".
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sasha Amara » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 am

Don't feel like playing this ridiculous game. But like you give a shit. See ya on the flip side. It's been lovely. Peace out.
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead
Sasha Amara

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 am

Sasha Amara wrote:Don't feel like playing this ridiculous game. But like you give a shit. See ya on the flip side . It's been lovely. Peace out.

tickets for Flipside are also on a lottery system
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 am

Sasha Amara wrote:Don't feel like playing this ridiculous game. But like you give a shit. See ya on the flip side. It's been lovely. Peace out.

and "burnier than thou/self entitlement rears it's head"............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:48 am

ygmir wrote:
Sasha Amara wrote:Don't feel like playing this ridiculous game. But like you give a shit. See ya on the flip side. It's been lovely. Peace out.

and "burnier than thou/self entitlement rears it's head"............

I'm just in awe of the passive/aggressive "you give a shit"/"peace out" thing. I bet she's grinding her teeth in her sleep.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby yellowpants » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 am

So after we've debunked all your false assertions about the ticket system, your new reason is that you don't want to play a game? Seems like you just want to poop on the ticket system.

You'd rather have a system where 30-40k tickets sell in the first 3 days and the people who get the cheap tickets are the ones who were available at the exact opening time and didn't have any technical issue?

If you want to go to BM just buy a ticket, otherwise don't. 50k + people are gonna figure it out, not sure why you can't.
yellowpants

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:55 pm

It's not necessary to belittle, insult, or harass people who we don't agree with. Please keep it civil.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion