2012 : Take back Burning Man

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: 2012 : Take back Burning Man

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:51 pm

More. From what I understand, you won't be allowed onto the Black Rock Desert at all if you don't have a ticket.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby This Woman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Where did you hear that, if you don't mind? The Black Rock Desert is vast. As a resident I take issue with an entire desert on public land being restricted due to one event. And do you know what they mean by "during Burning Man?" They have people out there in October doing cleanup. Is there a set period?
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Ugly Dougly

Postby zerzura » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

This Woman wrote:Where did you hear that, if you don't mind? The Black Rock Desert is vast. As a resident I take issue with an entire desert on public land being restricted due to one event. And do you know what they mean by "during Burning Man?" They have people out there in October doing cleanup. Is there a set period?

There is a published map showing the boundaries of the permit and the dates of those boundaries. It does not include the entire Black Rock Desert. The boundaries start at one diameter, then grow and shrink again during, then after the event. I am sure a bit of googling will lead you to the map, I have seen it in past years, but do not know a current link.
zerzura

Postby This Woman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks Ugly, that's the funniest document I've read today, and I have to say a most reasonable response.

Vargaso, I was probably looking at the same 2011 plan, and the perimeter was supposed to be good through 2015, so the increased area seems to be entirely due to Smoke Creek party promotion.

As someone who's had her fair share of illicit drugs, nudity, unrestricted driving in dangerous locations, and crazy gun fun, I still can't help but laugh at the self destruction of Smoke Creek Gathering. :lol:
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby vargaso » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Yep, same document I saw. My favorite part:

In 2010 and 2011, the unauthorized Fourth of Juplaya gathering on BLM administered lands within the Black Rock Desert resulted in unsafe practices that required significant law enforcement presence and resulted in the issuance of multiple citations for activities posing a danger to the public, including unsafe operation of motor vehicles and possession of controlled substances. Also during these prior non-permitted gatherings BLM found evidence of extremely hazardous activities such as the shooting of full propane containers, shooting of full size vehicles being driven by remote control, use of fire effects (torches, flame throwers, and flame spewing devices) conducted in close proximity to an audience, and projectile throwing devices that launch projectiles without exact knowledge of the ending location.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Kids, don't do this at home.
Go next door and do it there.
Ugly Dougly

Postby mullingitover » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 pm

[quote="vargaso"]Yep, same document I saw. My favorite part:

[quote]In 2010 and 2011, the unauthorized Fourth of Juplaya gathering on BLM administered lands within the Black Rock Desert resulted in unsafe practices that required significant law enforcement presence and resulted in the issuance of multiple citations for activities posing a danger to the public, including unsafe operation of motor vehicles and possession of controlled substances. Also during these prior non-permitted gatherings BLM found evidence of extremely hazardous activities such as the shooting of full propane containers, shooting of full size vehicles being driven by remote control, use of fire effects (torches, flame throwers, and flame spewing devices) conducted in close proximity to an audience, and projectile throwing devices that launch projectiles without exact knowledge of the ending location.[/quote][/quote]

Best ad for Fourth of Juplaya I've seen yet. They just need to mention that admission is free, and the hot springs are open.
mullingitover

Postby vargaso » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 pm

mullingitover wrote:
vargaso wrote:Yep, same document I saw. My favorite part:

In 2010 and 2011, the unauthorized Fourth of Juplaya gathering on BLM administered lands within the Black Rock Desert resulted in unsafe practices that required significant law enforcement presence and resulted in the issuance of multiple citations for activities posing a danger to the public, including unsafe operation of motor vehicles and possession of controlled substances. Also during these prior non-permitted gatherings BLM found evidence of extremely hazardous activities such as the shooting of full propane containers, shooting of full size vehicles being driven by remote control, use of fire effects (torches, flame throwers, and flame spewing devices) conducted in close proximity to an audience, and projectile throwing devices that launch projectiles without exact knowledge of the ending location.

Best ad for Fourth of Juplaya I've seen yet. They just need to mention that admission is free, and the hot springs are open.

Pretty sure none of that stuff will be allowed to happen this year and going forward. This is just my conjecture, but it's based on numerous BLM documents I've read in the past few days. Basically, BLM was highly aware of the ticketing situation last year and stepped up restrictions based on the relatively few people who planned the Smoke Creek Gathering, so I'm confident they're even more aware this year and are already planning for the exponential growth in ticketless burners looking to bring a little Burning Man to someplace other that the burn.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby TheJudge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:00 am

A perfect example of what has happened to TTiTD.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 am

You mean "hey, tell everybody we're going out to the desert to do illegal and dangerous things. Tell everyone not to tell anyone, of course!"
:roll:
Ugly Dougly

Postby TheJudge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

Exactly.
TheJudge

Postby nonuniform » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Oh, and as an aside, the BLM doesn't close off the event area until mid-August. We were out there camping just about the time the first few stakes were going in the ground. Camped right were the Man was going to be. Around 2nd weekend in August.

Black Rock sees a surprising number of events.

Personally, I'd like to see an event with a similar theme as Burning Man happen in another part of the world. I'm pretty sure there are good ideas and creative people outside of the Bay Area.
nonuniform

Postby TheJudge » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:16 am

nonuniform wrote: Personally, I'd like to see an event with a similar theme as Burning Man happen in another part of the world. I'm pretty sure there are good ideas and creative people outside of the Bay Area.

There's these things called "regional burns" that do just that. You may want to look into it.
TheJudge

Postby Steel Kitty » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm

I meant my original post to be somewhat sarcastic. I'm kind of wondering why we don't do several festivals -- Burning Man 1, Burning Man 2, etc. every year. Space them out by about a month so they don't impact the American Association of Rocketry (check out that nice rocket through a tire out in front of Bruno's on the way in this year) and you'd probably have enough people between the two month dates to keep some of the major camps running, etc.

Why not?? Once a year just ISNT enough, dammit.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Steel Kitty

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:45 am

It takes all year to run a single party for one week. They don't have the manpower to throw multiples. Plus, the BLM wouldn't go for it, the leave no trace would get much harder, the locals would be even more stressed.
I think that the length of the festival is pretty good. It fits into american vacation allotments, it keeps most people somewhat sane, it is less wear and tear on theme camps and artistic works. The event is a bubble and bubbles don't last long...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mener » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:37 pm

8)
mener

Postby DuchessAzure » Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 am

Pardon. It feels to me we might have veered off the topic. Has another (smaller than BM 2012) event been planned this year? Juplaya over 4th of July weekend? August sometime? Please advise so I can consider bringing my new sweetheart to the playa this year.

Namaste,
www.modelmayhem.com/duchessazure
www.wendyalbrecht.com
w.azure326@gmail.com
DuchessAzure

Burning Since: 2011

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Ya gotta understand, Doc Pyro doesn't actually leave his camp during the event so he sees the event through wine colored glasses.

Now that you mention it...I think you're right! Has anyone actually seen Doc leave camp? Kinda like that guy "Dicky" in the glass box...when was it?...2005?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Bounce530 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:26 pm

It's kind of like reporting a bigfoot sighting, but yes..I did see the Dr. mid afternoon, later in the week around the 4:30 plaza...On a bike no less!!

Of course, I wasn't able to snap of a picture though, so maybe it didn't really happen...The world will never know.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm

@DuchessAzure - nothing that would be planned on the ePlaya board, no.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu May 31, 2012 5:36 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:Ya gotta understand, Doc Pyro doesn't actually leave his camp during the event so he sees the event through wine colored glasses.

Now that you mention it...I think you're right! Has anyone actually seen Doc leave camp? Kinda like that guy "Dicky" in the glass box...when was it?...2005?

I heard the DMV a fews years back wouldn't grant him a permit for his flamethrowing truck cause it looked like a flamethrowing truck, and not a bunny rabbit or whatever. Therefore he doesn't want to leave his camp as he felt naked without it. Can you blame him?
Marscrumbs

Postby cheese_crackers » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 am

Nipple wrote:My regional will be in space.

Tickets are decidedly more expensive.

i don't REALLLLLY need the second kidney...
cheese_crackers

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:36 am

Hay, I left camp a couple of times. Ice doesn't deliver itself you know and my minions only can tolerate so much abuse. And you don't really think I shit in my RV do you? So two trips a day to the JOTS. Let's see, uh, well, maybe I left camp some other time. Not really sure. So damn it, get off my back!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dis)'(rack » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:42 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Hay, I left camp a couple of times. Ice doesn't deliver itself you know and my minions only can tolerate so much abuse. And you don't really think I shit in my RV do you? So two trips a day to the JOTS. Let's see, uh, well, maybe I left camp some other time. Not really sure. So damn it, get off my back!

Hah, JOTS...that's funny. United Site Services has been there for a number of years now. I do remember the ol JOTS days when there were no banks except at D block and playa pissing was much more common. The relief situation has gotten about 100% better since my first burn.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion