2012 TICKET PRICES INCREASED TO $390! WTF???

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: 2012 TICKET PRICES INCREASED TO $390! WTF???

Postby remi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:51 am

dragonpilot wrote:Hey...just put it in perspective: At $390 for 8 days...why, that's only $48.75 a day! Most of us spend that much or more daily on worthless crap! Do with less daily crap and you've bought your ticket...and more! :mrgreen:

I may not spend 50$ a day on worthless crap, but I have gone to a bar and spent around 250$, caught an expensive cab ride home (40$) picked up some party favours (lets round that to an even 100$) and picked up a case of beer and a bottle of spiced rum on the way home (45$).

Some days I don't spend anything on worthless shit.. but somedays I spend more then the price of a ticket on a night that will never compare to a day on the playa.

EDIT: Shit, they can make a mastercard commercial about BM. 1500$ on R.V., 1000$ on booze (unless I buy it in the states.. then it'll be less then half that price!), 800$ on supplies, 500$ on gas, 390$ for a BM ticket 300$ on food, 200$ on costumes and toys.. being on the playa watching the man burn while your with the most important people in your life... priceless.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Whatever you do, remi, buy your booze in the states. Cheaper, plus no sense hauling the additional weight over the long distance. Even with a playa-load of burners passing through town, Reno's got plenty of supply to go around. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby A Jester » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:09 pm

remi wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:Hey...just put it in perspective: At $390 for 8 days...why, that's only $48.75 a day! Most of us spend that much or more daily on worthless crap! Do with less daily crap and you've bought your ticket...and more! :mrgreen:

I may not spend 50$ a day on worthless crap, but I have gone to a bar and spent around 250$, caught an expensive cab ride home (40$) picked up some party favours (lets round that to an even 100$) and picked up a case of beer and a bottle of spiced rum on the way home (45$).

Some days I don't spend anything on worthless shit.. but somedays I spend more then the price of a ticket on a night that will never compare to a day on the playa.

EDIT: Shit, they can make a mastercard commercial about BM. 1500$ on R.V., 1000$ on booze (unless I buy it in the states.. then it'll be less then half that price!), 800$ on supplies, 500$ on gas, 390$ for a BM ticket 300$ on food, 200$ on costumes and toys.. being on the playa watching the man burn while your with the most important people in your life... priceless.

You can get rid of VD for $100? (or 100$) Wow, I am jealous of your socialized medicine!
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby dj_john69 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Fucking noobies are stupid. If you dont like the prices, dont fucking go !!! The prices go up each year. My 1st year they were $30 each. Im not complaining about the prices. Nobody is forcing me to buy my ticket and making me go.

Its NONE of your business how, when and where BMORG spends their cash. Mind your own damn business.

Pretty simple huh.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby DaveCalifornia » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 pm

This year Burning Man is instituting a huge price increase. Not including scholarship/low income tickets, they will take in over 18.2 million dollars (not 14.3 million. Kimo made an addition error) in ticket sales which represents an increase of over 22%. This concerns me not only because many of us are being priced out of the event but even more so because this represents a significant shift in priorities at Burning Man. In the past, even though Burning Man LLC has been a for profit company, it seemed that they were genuinely interested first and formost in the best interest of the community. I could understand if there was a huge increase in the cost of putting on the event, but if this were the case, it surely would have been included in the FAQ, but it is not. Unfortunately, it seems they want to exploit the fact that they sold out last year. I believe it can undermines everything our community has become if we (Burners) start to feel we are viewed as a commodity to be exploited. I am very concerned and quite saddened that Burning Man as we know it may be over.
DaveCalifornia

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm

DaveCalifornia wrote:This year Burning Man is instituting a huge price increase. Not including scholarship/low income tickets, they will take in over 18.2 million dollars (not 14.3 million. Kimo made an addition error) in ticket sales which represents an increase of over 22%. This concerns me not only because many of us are being priced out of the event but even more so because this represents a significant shift in priorities at Burning Man. In the past, even though Burning Man LLC has been a for profit company, it seemed that they were genuinely interested first and formost in the best interest of the community. I could understand if there was a huge increase in the cost of putting on the event, but if this were the case, it surely would have been included in the FAQ, but it is not. Unfortunately, it seems they want to exploit the fact that they sold out last year. I believe it can undermines everything our community has become if we (Burners) start to feel we are viewed as a commodity to be exploited. I am very concerned and quite saddened that Burning Man as we know it may be over.

This is not exploitation. Raising prices is a good way to keep the numbers and the demand down. And because the numbers are imposed on the business from BLM, it is also a good way to increase revenu and profit when they can't sell more tickets.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Including both this year and the first year they started charging for the event (1995), the ticket prices have increased 11 times. Periodic price increases of any long-running event are understandable, and seem fairly reasonable.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Between 1992 and 93 ticket prices trebled!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DanusLight » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:58 pm

If you are on the playa for 7 days that's 168 hours. How much is a movie an hour? A concert? A play?

Personally, I think it's all relative. But that's just me.
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby A Jester » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Fuck it, the price increase it out of control and the Org needs to be sent a lesson.

I'm not going this year unless they pay me!
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 am

DaveCalifornia wrote:This year Burning Man is instituting a huge price increase. Not including scholarship/low income tickets, they will take in over 18.2 million dollars (not 14.3 million. Kimo made an addition error) in ticket sales which represents an increase of over 22%. This concerns me not only because many of us are being priced out of the event but even more so because this represents a significant shift in priorities at Burning Man. In the past, even though Burning Man LLC has been a for profit company, it seemed that they were genuinely interested first and formost in the best interest of the community. I could understand if there was a huge increase in the cost of putting on the event, but if this were the case, it surely would have been included in the FAQ, but it is not. Unfortunately, it seems they want to exploit the fact that they sold out last year. I believe it can undermines everything our community has become if we (Burners) start to feel we are viewed as a commodity to be exploited. I am very concerned and quite saddened that Burning Man as we know it may be over.

I can understand why and how you could feel this way. Please keep this in mind:

1. While BMORG is an LLC, they have not ever been in it for the profits. It is an incredibly expensive event to put on, not to mention paying the VERY small salaries of the people who devote their lives to making our burns happen.

2. BMORG is currently in the process of becoming a non-profit. This is something they have been working towards and are very excited about.

3. We are renegotiating a new permit this year. I imagine this permit will include a HEFTY increase in fees. As our event becomes more popular it requires a LOT more infrastructure. Medical, law enforcement, water trucks, portos, pump trucks, equipment rentals, and of course, the GIANT land rental fee. This event is a STEAL for the amount that is provided and the length of time.

4. Finally, if the price of a ticket is the hurtle keeping a person from going to this event, it is NOT the one for them. There are lots of great little festivals all over the world that are more cost effective and conducive to a person who is a bit short on cash at the moment. I am not saying that those of us who aren't well off shouldn't be there, heck, I always barely scrape it together....but that is the thing, no matter what, I always scrape it together.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Sassy Britches » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:11 am

Well said, VeganChoirGirl.

I've been looking at various concert tickets this week - 1 show (2 hours +/-) big names (like (for example Sting and Roger Waters) are now at $200 for their highest price and the worse the seats get, the lowest is still well over $100. When I remember that BM isn't just a couple of hours, but a week - and consider all the infrastructure and support that needs to be put in place fresh every year - I am amazed at all the bitching about the prices.

I have also been involved with many non profit organizations. Folks, any non profit that only charges enough to cover its anticipated costs for the short term (in this case the annual BM event) is out of business soon enough. Non profit does not mean that the organization shouldn't make money - if it wants to last, if it wants to not always be on the brink, it needs to. It means that it is not in business in order to generate prodfits and equity for its owners, and there is not, for instance, distribution of dividends for its shareholders.

From Phoenix USA wishing you all a happy Thanksgiving.
Sassy Britches

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion