Yet another reason to dislike the new ticket lottery

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Yet another reason to dislike the new ticket lottery

Postby canada_dry » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm not a retailer but I imagine those are any have supported burningman by selling tickets over the years are pissed that they've even been booted out of the process too.

My amazing trip to BRC was through a last minute decision to go and buying tickets at the gate (the retailer in Reno had sold out). I think it's sad that both in store and gate sales have been removed! These aren't walmarts - they were small struggling wacky off-the-wall stores that probably needed the bm traffic to stay alive.

The new scheme stinks and seems more like it was created a for-profit organization looking to maximize profit through lower administration costs! %@$# morons.

So, do I have a better plan? Duh...
1st... give last year's attendees the first chance to buy * 1 * ONE * UNO * ticket for themselves (cannot be transferred) at a special mid-tier rate. You would use some code from your previous ticket/purchase to register. Once the registration period was up, you loose the opportunity to get in on the early pre-sale, but can - of course - participate in the general sale. The pre-sale needs to happen as soon as possible (eg. Nov/Dec) so folks can start planning their trip, camp, art exhibit, etc.

Remaining tickets would be sold (and these tickets would be transferable) in the general sale. Via online (multi-tier, etc.), at retailers, and at the gate in the pre-lottery old fashion method.

Why the $@#% would this have to be so goddam complicated!?!
canada_dry

Re: Yet another reason to dislike the new ticket lottery

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 pm

logistical nightmare
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 pm

good Ginger Ale, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby danibel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 pm

While I understand some of your disappointment, I think your idea about letting last year's ticket buyers get first shot at one ticket stinks. I was in school last year on ticket sale day and my sweet boyfriend spent hours online waiting for his chance to secure 2 golden tickets for us. If your idea was implemented he would get a shot at one ticket and I would be left out in the cold, even though I participated in 2011.

I do agree that it sucks big time for the small retail outlets that in the past have enjoyed foot traffic from burners buying in person. More reason to make sure YOU buy some of your supplies from them whenever you can.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion