Main Sale vs. Low Income timing

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Main Sale vs. Low Income timing

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 am

maryanimal wrote:
lemur wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:Thanks for the different perspectives. Hey thats how the gypsy queens eat their lunches! by being the go getter. I dont apply for low income tix because I am willing to give up some shit during the year to actually AFFORD my $300 ticket. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I dont feel like scamming my ticket by beefing up a low income ticket resume. To me its way worth the "struggle" to make it to Burning man with more mojo. That way I dont have to bum goggles and dinners off my friends.

your complaint has been registered and your status as a person better than those who apply for low income program has been noted in the social register.

you can rest assured... knowing that we know you wouldnt stoop so low!!

*giggles*

I giggled too :)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby ellenoche » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 am

2007 was my first burn. My friend recruited me and two others to help build an art project. He waited 8 hours to purchase two tier one tickets, like he does every year, on the Wednesday in January. As it was already March, and tickets were already approaching $280 or something, my boyfriend and I decided we couldn't afford to go (starving students as we were). My friend suggested we apply for low income tickets, he lent us the money, we did, and we got approved. It took us from that March to August to find ways to raise the money to pay him back. He rented a 16 foot long truck, and all four of us squished for 21 hours with no AC and bad male armpit smell (I was the only girl). But seeing our project in the deep playa was worth the work we put into it. For the past four years, I have planned every year without having to apply for low income ticket. But, if I ever needed to apply for a low income ticket, rest assured, I wouldn't hesitate. It is what it is, a low income ticket. Some might say, if you can't afford to go, don't go. I think, if you really want to go, do anything you can to get there. That year, we adopted a German who applied for a scholarship ticket, got approved, bought a plane ticket to New York, hitched hiked with his backpack and a long board to the gates where he found us. He packed eggs, bacon, bread and some sandwich meat somewhere in his satchel. We offered him the use of our coolers and the burner. My friend had an extra tent. Thinking back, he pulled his weight around the camp, he bought ice, cleaned and cooked and invited us to whatever he had - very un-smooch like, he didn't beg, we offered. I am in favor for the low income/scholarship ticket if given to the right applicant, but that's for them to decide. In 2012, I will continue to buy my ticket at the level I can afford.
Little Ray of Sunshine
ellenoche

Postby bluesbob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 am

Because the sales process is a clusterfuck of nonsense...last year I purchased a low-tier ticket...THEN applied for low-income. I got the low-income...then sold the low-tier at face value. If I waited for low-income and was denied, the low-tiers would be sold out...and I would end up paying over $100 more than either of the other tickets. Now it's even worse with the lottery. It's the only fucking way to make sure I get the price I can afford. I plan on doing the exact same thing this year.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby lemur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 am

bluesbob wrote:Because the sales process is a clusterfuck of nonsense...last year I purchased a low-tier ticket...THEN applied for low-income. I got the low-income...then sold the low-tier at face value. If I waited for low-income and was denied, the low-tiers would be sold out...and I would end up paying over $100 more than either of the other tickets. Now it's even worse with the lottery. It's the only fucking way to make sure I get the price I can afford. I plan on doing the exact same thing this year.

QUICK INFORM THE SCHOLARSHIP DEPT WE GOT A HOT ONE HERE.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 am

The low income and scholarship programs are being merged into one, and reworked for 2012. Greater controls will be added to make sure people like bluesbob aren't able to work the system (plus they read ePlaya, I should imagine that anyone named Robert or Bob from Fullerton, CA who had participated in the low income program in 2011 will face a great deal of scrutiny in 2012.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm

One question what is the diff with low income and with scholarship. I thought It was the same thing?

Also yeah Im a bit bugging out cause I can not afford the low tier this year so I have to do LI or Scholar. Im worried I may not get one :(
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby essjay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:53 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:One question what is the diff with low income and with scholarship. I thought It was the same thing?

Nothing. They are the same this year.
essjay

Postby A Jester » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Laughing Forest wrote:This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

The Burning Man 1% have made manifesting a ticket IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

This is quickly becoming my favorite post ever. The more I read into it, the better it gets.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby A Jester » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

I like the idea that there is a cheaper alternative for people who really need it. Sure, some people may abuse it, but that's true of any system. Just the extra hurdle of having to apply probably weeds out a lot of people. Also, making it available after the low tier tickets are gone makes people who really can afford the extra $80 go that route.

Just my opinion. The ticket has always been less than half my costs, anyhow. Food and booze are far more expensive. I have yet to go without booze, or with just Ramen, so even when I self-identified as "poor" I guess I found a way to scrounge up some disposable income.

Marscrumbs wrote:Some people live a burning alternate lifestyle all year around helping to create the new society rather than one week yuppie partiers. They certainly deserve a break. Are they still giving Indians cheap tickets too?

The people that live the burning alternate lifestyle all year that I'm aware of work their buns off. Generally, they get paid for that work, or they get a free ticket for that work. Nothing about Burning Man means not working, to me. Heck, it's the vacation we take where we work harder than we do when we're at "work", right?

vargaso wrote:I know Burning Man is basically one big social engineering experiment (my favorite one!), but man, trying to social-engineer the ticketing process doesn't seem to be working out too well. Not explaining the low-income ticket buying process until later just so some people won't use that option when they don't necessarily have to? That's an odd decision. Look, I know lots of people on here seem consider ANY criticism of BMORG policies as whining or somehow less than "radically self-reliant," but you have to admit, they've really complicated what should be a simple process, and jacked up the prices to boot. In any case, of course I'm still going, but boy, this is interesting.

If your measure of success is "no criticism", then the Org sucks at everything. I swear, they could fart and have ten people tell them how they should have done it better.

Since we are just barely starting the ticketing process now, I don't know what else you're basing your opinion that it isn't working out too well. Let's have patience and see what happens.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Poipriestess wrote:I'm noticing that very little information is available about the changes to the low income ticketing process. It's hard to make a decision about if I should go broke trying to gather the funds for attempting the $240 ticket or not without details about how the program works will you release details before December so people can try to figure put what to do?

I have to say As an 11 year veteran I the bur er community, this sorta is a screwed up process. I want to order two tickets for me and my partner but only want them at the 240 price if I have to pay "regular" price, your current system changes does not allow me a choice in the matter which I consider to be beyond lacking in "radically inclusive" because prices are going up and you're now favoring rich people over poor.

So freaking lame. Makes me not want to support the event.

Ummm....so you've been going for 11 years. And the delta between the low income option and the main sale is....$160 ($80 X 2..you and your partner) and you have about 3 months to do it? And you....can't?

WTF? I respectfully submit that perhaps this ain't your event. A time or two yes....but IMHO the low income and scholarship solutions shouldn't be the "I have the ability and time but just don't have the wherewithall to work my ass a bit to get this done" option.

Really...$160? Are you an artist? In what medium? Maybe I'd buy or commission something for $160 from you.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I am using this thread instead of making a new one.
Someone help me understand low income tickets and why they exist?

I know a few people that get the low income tickets. It is THEIR CHOICE to be poor. They hop around from festival to festival all year long. Burning Man is just another stop of theirs pretty much....They might not have any money, but they dont really try to make it, either. Me? I work my ass off all year and I cant really afford Burning Man, but I make sacrifices because I want to attend! "American" sacrifices....like skipping festivals to go to burning man, heck I never buy new clothes so I can have extra money for Burning man. I shop at salvation army. I try not to spend of frivolous stuff so I can attend burning man. These friends that have been awarded low income tickets always have a new cool thing to wear because they Sparkle Ponied it somehow. I dont know what kind of letter they write to get a low income ticket but IMO a young sparkle pony chick with no kids who isnt on welfare, why should she get a cheap ticket? Funny thing is is she was barely prepared anyway. She didnt have goggles, hardly any food, she basically could NOT afford Burning Man.

I mean, if youre a starving artist and working your ass off all year on a project FOR BURNING MAN, THEN you should get a discount ticket! Not a Sparkle pony! Burning man is a privlege, not a right!

Well, I'd like to think that they don't award them to people more than once or twice. I get being low income/poor and wanting to see it for the first time or two. After that, for God's sake make a plan, people.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

bluesbob wrote:Because the sales process is a clusterfuck of nonsense...last year I purchased a low-tier ticket...THEN applied for low-income. I got the low-income...then sold the low-tier at face value. If I waited for low-income and was denied, the low-tiers would be sold out...and I would end up paying over $100 more than either of the other tickets. Now it's even worse with the lottery. It's the only fucking way to make sure I get the price I can afford. I plan on doing the exact same thing this year.

You're a cheat to the system.

Even though you eventually sold your purchased ticket at face value, you're a cheat.

Otherwise...why would you have bought it if you couldn't have afforded to use it? Instead...you hedged your bets to save yourself a bit of money. I hope $100 worth of karmic damage, preferably on the lonely roads to the event, await you.

LoR
Lord Of Ruin

Postby lemur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:15 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:One question what is the diff with low income and with scholarship. I thought It was the same thing?

Also yeah Im a bit bugging out cause I can not afford the low tier this year so I have to do LI or Scholar. Im worried I may not get one :(

in the past the main difference i noticed was that scholarship program was cheaper than the low income program.. but more importantly you could only pay for your scholarship ticket at the gate.. allowing you all year to save up for it.. where the more expensive low income ticket would require payment at the time of application..

the applications were slightly different as well... (in terms of what info they asked for)

surely there was another difference or two there.. maybe importatn ones but i dont know what it was..

who knows what it will be now.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion