Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Oops - I actually meant delivery...I want to confirm that the "delivery" address in the email we get confirming our registration has been received is the same as the "billing" address we entered on the registration form. I asked ticket support but they just gave me info on how to re-register and did not answer this quesiton. I don't need tor want to re-register if I can confirm that those two addresses are the same.

Thanks anyone in the know??
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah, you're okay.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TonetheBMnoob » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Bahhh! I've kinda botched my registration in a way. I was suppose to buy 2 tickets for me and my dad but I somehow entered the main sale draft for 1. Idk what to do but I emailed partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com, no reply yet. I checked the FAQ's but couldnt find anything reasuring. Anyone delt with something like this before? This is one of those issues i'll lose some sleep over :oops:
TonetheBMnoob

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Contacting Participant Services was the right thing to do, you'll be okay. No need to lose sleep.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby TonetheBMnoob » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

wonderful lol. nice to have some kind of peice of mind :P
TonetheBMnoob

Postby Mosquitopilate » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 am

It is 3:25am on the east coast why are the tickets register still open?
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 am

The link and registration page are still active/clickable, though should have shut down at midnight. I couldn't say why, though I wouldn't expect that any registrations received post-midnight would be valid.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 am

It appears that at some point last night, the ticket window officially closed.

Good luck everyone!
Sham

Postby vargaso » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:26 pm

trilobyte wrote:The link and registration page are still active/clickable, though should have shut down at midnight. I couldn't say why, though I wouldn't expect that any registrations received post-midnight would be valid.

Classic.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Registration page here:
[link removed]

Gets you a nice user-friendly message as follows:
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>41BBD1D50D137879</RequestId>
<HostId>
Us5xHxcSCjgemcn5J8RKNlO+6Oy5Db3BFkiT0TzWjlu98YwEQpIx2IV4ywUacIy3
</HostId>
</Error>

Inticketing, keepin' it real.
vargaso

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Well vargaso, there is a reason for this. It turns out that the ticket registration ended at midnight last night. So the link is now down and that should explain the message. Dit, dat, dippity! :D
Sham

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I've seen this with government deadline links.

If there is no critical reason to close quickly, they cover all time zones and any issues with connections this way.
gyre

Postby vargaso » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am

Shambala wrote:Well vargaso, there is a reason for this. It turns out that the ticket registration ended at midnight last night. So the link is now down and that should explain the message. Dit, dat, dippity! :D

Oh I know registration is closed, I just found it hilarious that Inticketing didn't even put up a "Registration closed" page, they just shut off access AND didn't remove the link to the survey on the BM ticketing page (which I'm assuming would be the job of the BM web devs). It's gone now, though, so all better now.
vargaso

Postby Minxy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm

REALLY wish they would find a new ticketing system, instead of one that needs drastic changes.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby remi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Minxy wrote:REALLY wish they would find a new ticketing system, instead of one that needs drastic changes.

They did make major changes for this year. If your implying that this new system in one that need drastic changes, why don't you take a pill and chill. The registration just closed, then main draw hasn't even started yet and your bashing the new system? You complainers are really starting to get annoying. Why not wait until there is a problem before you start your bitching. Forgetting to register in time is not a problem, that is someone failing to be minamally self reliant... what happens when it's time to get radical?
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm

I think it's always been, and always will be an evolutionary process. But to a large degree, this is the new system. Big changes this year, which address both shortcomings from previous years and the very real challenges that face the event this year and in the years ahead. Based on the pre-sale and registration process so far, things have gone pretty smoothly (though part of me is wishing Teddy Saunders' amazing video had been released a couple weeks later). We should have a better picture of how well the system works in the next 7-8 days.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby kore » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Well this is my first year I will be attending, if I get the tickets. I signed up for the lottery and I am crossing my fingers.
I don't have a problem with the new system at all. Maybe even have a Club Based system for people that went the year before.
They have so many options and are just exploring them.

Well if I win the lottery, their will be a new radio station on the Playa this year.
kore

Postby BuddhaNic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 pm

I need help! ! !
I am a first time burner this year and I live in Florida. I'm currently a senior in High school and this June I turn 18.
For Christmas I asked my dad for the ticket, but he denied me saying that I would never take this seriously. - It's been 5 or so months since I started really bugging him about going and I have around 1500 dollars saved up. Keep in mind, I make minimum wage at a grocery store working 3 hour shifts, PLUS school. I'M SEROUS.

I have spent hours on the site and read everything there is to read, but I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to buy a ticket.

P L E A S E - send me a personal message, reply to this post, ANYTHING would be such a huge help for me. I've had a pretty tough few years living in the house I do, I need to go home to Burning Man.

Love, Nic.

( p.s you'll know if I got there because I'll be one of the few people playing bagpipes on the Playa. ;) hahaha! )
BuddhaNic

Postby LittleJack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey Nic,

Did you enter the ticket lottery? If not, you have a few options, which are in the FAQ:

1. Try for the General Sale, after this round of the lottery
2. Look for an aftermarket ticket from someone who got more tickets than they need. The "need a ticket" / "have an extra" threads will be hoppin' next week
3. Apply for a Low Income ticket - this may be your best bet given your situation. I have no idea how this works, never having pursued it, but I believe it's pretty well documented.

As for your pipes, look for the annual Irish session at The Dusty Swan, one of the Irish pubs on the playa. Hell, if you can drown out some of the fiddlers, all the better! :) Also, keep in mind the dryness out there - don't expect your reeds to survive, you'll almost certainly need to replace them after the event, and you may want to bring a spare or two just in case. My bodhran didn't survive last year, but then again I didn't really take particular care to ensure that it would - it was a pretty cheap / lousy drum to start with.

-Little Jack
(mando player)
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 pm

You're too late for the "main sale". I suggest getting one of those prepaid credit cards. Shop carefully, some wont let you put the full $400+ you need at once. (Read around in this sub forum for those adventures.) Or maybe you can put it on your debit card. They you can join the after sale. You also have the option of buying in the after market. Trilobyte will open up the "Tickets Wanted" and "Tickets Offered" so post in the tickets wanted and read the tickets offered daily. Jump on the offered, especially in your area. Craigslist is another aftermarket source. Use basic precautions on meeting people with large amounts of cash. That's not something I'm really likely to give you good advice on, but other people will likely jump in on that question.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

FYI, thieves and robbers love to meet in public places, especially if you're alone.

And how do you expect to sell something electronic without power?

We had a cl robbery in a crowded ikea lot today.
It ended with hand to hand combat.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Nic. Welcome to the board.

You might check for age limits on pre-loaded single-use credit cards by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diner's Club. If these issuers will allow you to buy one and use it independently in the Open Sale in March, you would need to register the card in your name with the issuer before you use it. And be sure to have not only the amount of the ticket, but enough for the delivery/will call and fees and an authorization ($1.01).

http://tickets.burningman.com/

Details about Aftermarket Tickets on the Burning Man website--and Low Income ticket procedures--are not yet known, but coming soon. Keep an eye on the ticket pages and on ePlaya.

In addition to checking the options with prepaid CCs registered to you, become active with or acquainted with local Burners--this is a good idea for all kids of reasons: friendships, knowledge-sharing, skill-building, rideshares, possibly joining a local camp or build, etc.

http://regionals.burningman.com/us_fl.html

A lot of plans fall through in June. That's when a lot of virgins start feeling overwhelmed by all the work of getting ready or simply have to face facts for other reasons. So look for ticket opportunities then, too. Still more people will look to sell in July or August, as emergencies arise. If I had to buy a ticket from a stranger, I'd bone up on how to distinguish fakes from real tickets, and maybe make the exchange in a police station (heh) or at minimum, a bank with good security and a friend along.

'Til then, keep steadily preparing as though you're going to attend, in certain harmless ways. Read everything you can. Meet people. Keep saving. Apply for time off from your job. Make packing lists and shopping lists. Put camping stuff on your Amazon wish list. :) Figure out how you would travel if you did go--Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. If you do all that stuff and you luck into a ticket opportunity, you will be poised to pounce, not caught unawares and overwhelmed.

And if for some reason you have to wait 'til 2013, you'll be a great stealth virgin.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Killbuck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Ahhh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Killbuck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Postby Killbuck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Killbuck

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Brilliant, Kernul! :D
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Nipple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:And guess what? Turns out, people are VERY EAGER to go to Burning Man this year. So much so, in fact, that they found creative ways to increase their odds of getting tickets in the Main Sale. As a result, there are a lot more tickets being requested than there are tickets available -- an inordinately large number, in fact, and far more than we projected even after last year's sold-out event. It seems that people a) likely got their friends, family and campmates to order tickets as well, and/or b) requested more tickets than they actually need.

People: Why we can't have nice things.
Nipple

Postby SpacemanSpliff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Nipple wrote:
Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:As a result, there are a lot more tickets being requested than there are tickets available -- an inordinately large number, in fact, and far more than we projected even after last year's sold-out event.

I'm sorry, but any 13 year old who's ever tried to get tickets to see Radiohead could have told you this was going to happen.[/RANT]
"No, dude, I'm not going to kiss the cat. You people are sick. I'm outta here."
SpacemanSpliff

Postby Nipple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 pm

SpacemanSpliff wrote:
Nipple wrote:
Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:As a result, there are a lot more tickets being requested than there are tickets available -- an inordinately large number, in fact, and far more than we projected even after last year's sold-out event.

I'm sorry, but any 13 year old who's ever tried to get tickets to see Radiohead could have told you this was going to happen.[/RANT]

Do you think there's a much larger amount of people that want to go this year? It's about 50,000 people. Do you know how many tickets there are? It's about 50,000. People who don't get tickets are going to be the oddballs.

It's people overbuying tickets because of fear. These tickets all need to find a good home, it's just going to take those tickets a lot longer to get to where they're going. It's also going to put tickets in the hands of scalpers, which are hard to get them out.

P.S. - All you screwheads that bought more tickets than you needed. Fear is pretty potent, isn't it? Good job, coward. Do the right thing and sell the tickets through whatever system is derived. Keep your chicken fingers off of Craigslist. For all your cries of "HOW CAN WE PLAN? HOW WILL WE KNOW WE HAVE TICKETS?", you should realize that you're the problem in the equation.
Nipple

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Actually, hoarding was expected to quite an extent, which is why the random selection process needed to be put in place for this year to begin with. Because any 13 year old who's ever tried to get tickets to see Radiohead will tell you, scalpers (and their automated ticket buying software) suck. Between the expected hoarding (well-meaning campmates covering for others who wouldn't have their act together in time, profiteers looking to raise money for their camp/project/bar tab) etc. and the threat of scalpers, it would have spelled a certain fast sellout of the event.

The system was designed so that if there was no freakout, there'd be tickets for everyone in the drawing. Registration keeps out a chunk of the scalpers, and levels the playing field so that people who couldn't camp in front of the computer during an on-sale day (or whose internet connection isn't as fast) gets a chance too.
trilobyte
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion