Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:04 pm

AntiM wrote:Yeah, I have some calling to do beforehand. My favored hard-working cashback card stalls on large single purchases over my daily limit. My card with the empty balance stalls for out of area purchases.

You have a daily limit? How does that happen?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:14 pm

jkisha wrote:
AntiM wrote:Yeah, I have some calling to do beforehand. My favored hard-working cashback card stalls on large single purchases over my daily limit. My card with the empty balance stalls for out of area purchases.

Lower limit card (although still generous) and when I get nearer the limit than farther, it backs me off. Something like a third or a half of the available credit in one shot. I could request a credit limit increase, but I like knowing I can't go wild and exceed what I can pay in one month. Or anyone else who steals the number, for that matter. I have other cards with insane limits for potential wigging out with; one we set aside for real emergencies, they kept raising the limit every time they'd issue a new card. I laugh about it a lot and still never touch the card.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

@TimInSilverlake - On 1) yes, it has been covered in a few responses. If you registered for 3 tickets in the pre-sale but are not successful, your info will carry forward to the main sale, at tier 3. That sale has a limit of 2 tickets, if you are successful in one of the drawings in the main sale you will only receive 2 tickets. On 2) the drawing will pull regstrants, who are then awarded tickets. If you enter for 3 in the pre-sale and are drawn, you would get 3 tickets (since the limit on the pre-sale is 4). If you register for 3 in the pre-sale and do not get tickets but DO get tickets in the main sale, you would get 2 tickets (since the limit on tickets in the main sale is 2). On your follow-up question, yes the ticket vendor is InTicketing. The pre-sale winners should be notified and charged by 12/19/11, and the main sale winners should be notified and charged on or before February 1, 2012.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby TimInSilverlake » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Trilobyte,

Thank you so much for your patient replies and clarifications. This must be getting old for you by now so please know that we are greatful for your support.

Just one teeny clarification further if you would be so kind. You stated, "if you registered for 3 tickets in the presale but are not successful, your info will carry forward to the main sale AT TIER 3." I assume that means I would automatically be entered into lotteries for ALL THREE TIERS in the main sale, correct, because Tier 3 automatically includes lower tier lotteries along with it -- without us presale losers having to specify further? Your response left me wondering - does he mean Presale tickets get to compete for Tier 3 tickets only? There's all this talk about selecting tiers in the main sale but it's been a little cryptic what our menu choices will be for the presale. (Obviously, I'm trying to get into all possible drawings at all price ranges).

Ok, that's it, I'm done; if you can answer that last one, I've used up my question allotment and then some. I'm sure multilateral nuclear treaties have been resolved with less trepidation. I hope to find you on the Playa and gift you a nice cold energy drink from Center Camp when this is done. Also, if a visual ticket purchase flowchart would be of use for 2013, I'd be happy to volunteer to create a draft in Visio and PDF it over.

Thanks again,
Tim
TimInSilverlake

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Yep, you'd be entered at tier 3, which is inclusive of the lower tiers. You would only be charged for the tier you were awarded tickets.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:05 pm

AntiM wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Lower limit card (although still generous) and when I get nearer the limit than farther, it backs me off. Something like a third or a half of the available credit in one shot. I could request a credit limit increase, but I like knowing I can't go wild and exceed what I can pay in one month. Or anyone else who steals the number, for that matter. I have other cards with insane limits for potential wigging out with; one we set aside for real emergencies, they kept raising the limit every time they'd issue a new card. I laugh about it a lot and still never touch the card.

I gotcha. I haven't applied for a new card in quit awhile, and the only time I ever remember having a daily limit or having a sale not go through was when cards were new and especially if the first charge was an internet sale and it was a biggie. And also on new ATM cards, they usually have a daily limit, which I have had the bank remove long ago. We try to never carry a balance unless the bank is having an interest free holiday, which they do from time to time, just to entice you to use the cards hoping you won't be able to pay off the balance when it comes due.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yep, you'd be entered at tier 3, which is inclusive of the lower tiers. You would only be charged for the tier you were awarded tickets.

A presumably unintended consequence of this system is that somebody who can afford to and does bid $420 might get tickets at $240, while somebody who could only afford $240 might not get tickets at all.
Mitch

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 am

Under the old rules. if someone who could afford the highest tier managed to get through early enough on launch day they could (and most often did) purchase the lowest price ticket as well, leaving fewer for everyone else. More often than not, those who opted to pay a higher tier weren't helping someone in need as much as they were funding 'early purchaser discounts' for people who had plenty of financial resources available.

If you end up getting tickets for less than $390 and you really want to make sure you're helping someone who can't afford to, then do that directly. Times are tough, unfortunately you probably don't have to look very far within your circle of friends to find someone who's hard up, and can't afford more than $240. If they strike out in the main sale (or just plain can't afford to participate), help cover the gap between $240 and $390 so they can participate in the secondary sale in March.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:42 am

trilobyte wrote:If you end up getting tickets for less than $390 and you really want to make sure you're helping someone who can't afford to, then do that directly. Times are tough, unfortunately you probably don't have to look very far within your circle of friends to find someone who's hard up, and can't afford more than $240. If they strike out in the main sale (or just plain can't afford to participate), help cover the gap between $240 and $390 so they can participate in the secondary sale in March.

I hear this and agree with it as being a band-aid solution.. but.. WHY is this so difficult to fix, Trilo? If they can implement such a sweeping change in the ticketing system, then why is it so difficult to simply allow people to exclusively purchase the higher tiers if that is what they so desire?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:46 am

Just because.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 am

jkisha wrote:I gotcha. I haven't applied for a new card in quit awhile, and the only time I ever remember having a daily limit or having a sale not go through was when cards were new and especially if the first charge was an internet sale and it was a biggie. And also on new ATM cards, they usually have a daily limit, which I have had the bank remove long ago. We try to never carry a balance unless the bank is having an interest free holiday, which they do from time to time, just to entice you to use the cards hoping you won't be able to pay off the balance when it comes due.

Yeah, the days of playing the zero interest cards and balance transfers are long gone. I have a limit on my ATM card, but I rarely think about it. Just as easy to run inside, or do without. And I won't own or use a debit card; too easy to get in deep for the screw ups of others.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:03 am

trilobyte wrote:Just because.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because I said so, dammit!
junglesmacks

Postby paspoil » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am

Trilobyte,

I'm just seeking the link which to register for Pre-Sale tickets (starting today Nov. 28th), it's not on JRS emails either. Nor burningman.com
Have any idea?
Thanks !
paspoil
paspoil

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:19 am

paspoil wrote:Trilobyte,

I'm just seeking the link which to register for Pre-Sale tickets (starting today Nov. 28th), it's not on JRS emails either. Nor burningman.com
Have any idea?
Thanks !
paspoil

not till 12:00 pst I believe. Then it automagically appears.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 am

tamarakay wrote:
paspoil wrote:Trilobyte,

Have any idea?
Thanks !
paspoil

not till 12:00 pst I believe. Then it automagically appears.

Yes. Another hour and a half and it's set to go.

"Participants seeking early access to full price tickets can register on http://tickets.burningman.com for the Pre-Sale during a two-week period from November 28 (at 12 noon PST) until December 11, 2011 (at 11:59pm PST).
junglesmacks

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Well now the paranoia really begins. I'm dyslexic so I must have double checked the card number 1000 times (or was in 0100?), now i'll be worrying about that until it gets picked and fulfilled. Yeesh, if its not one thing its another.

tamarakay

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Check carefully, it doesn't give you a chance to confirm.
Mitch

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm

tamarakay wrote:Well now the paranoia really begins. I'm dyslexic so I must have double checked the card number 1000 times (or was in 0100?), now i'll be worrying about that until it gets picked and fulfilled. Yeesh, if its not one thing its another.

Yeah, now I'm ridiculously paranoid.

I haven't been upset at anything really, but no way to confirm your info before processing or checking that you have valid card info really, really bugs me.

if anything, it make me want to reach out to my mother and have her register for another ticket for me. All this does is run the risk of people buying more tickets than they need.

Will they even tell you if there was a problem with your info? Does the error carry over into preMain-sale?
Last edited by VultureChow on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Relax, take deep breaths, checking on that for you now.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:Relax, take deep breaths, checking on that for you now.

Oh I'm okay. This is the only portion of the process that I thought was handled in a way that is genuinely problematic.

If it was set up as a registration account, or if they sent a test charge of a few cents through, that would solve the issue for me.

Since we're already into registration, the test charge seems to be the way to go. then you can go into your account and see if it worked.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:44 pm

VultureChow wrote:

Oh I'm okay. This is the only portion of the process that I thought was handled in a way that is genuinely problematic.

If it was set up as a registration account, or if they sent a test charge of a few cents through, that would solve the issue for me.

Since we're already into registration, the test charge seems to be the way to go. then you can go into your account and see if it worked.

That's a pretty good idea, actually. There should be some type of $0.01 pre-auth charge as you click through just to finalize the order and verify the card..
junglesmacks

Postby DanusLight » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Well, Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge cycles!

I'm at work. I go to register for presale. Type in all the info, verify that I have typed correctly and hit submit.

The next page is a page that states the browser does not recoginize the security certificate.

So, did my registration go through? Do I need to try this again when I get home?

Help!!!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Trilo you are a god. Thank you for your unending supply of cheerful help.

tamarakay

Postby mgb327 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I just did the registration, and I am a bit OCD myself...I must have rechecked my info and card numbers 20-30 times before I dropped the coin into the well. It said my "registration was submitted", but there isn't any way to actually know that. Even the gas pumps here tell you that they "know" your card and have a direct link into it. Now I have to sit here patiently and not worry for...what? 3 weeks? ARGGHHH!!!! Breath...mellow....breath....mellow. Gawd, why is love so hard sometimes?
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

You will get a confirmation email pretty quickly if it went through. Most certificate errors give you the option of continuing anyway.

tamarakay

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
VultureChow wrote:

That's a pretty good idea, actually. There should be some type of $0.01 pre-auth charge as you click through just to finalize the order and verify the card..

They could still do this. Hell they could do it at the end of this registration period and send you an email asking to confirm your info if there's a problem. Or they could just announce they are doing it and the pre-auth charge will be posted by "insert date here." then you go into your CC account or call their customer service to make sure the charge went through. If not, then you have to call someone to fix the problem.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby mgb327 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I just received this in my email....Green Jeezus, a tangible step forward.

DEAR CRAIG,

Thank you, your entry for the Burning Man 2012 Ticket Pre-Sale was received! This DOES NOT guarantee you the purchase of Burning Man tickets.

Your entry will be included in a random ticket selection process through our secure online system. All entries will be treated equally regardless of when they are made during the registration period.

If your entry is selected to purchase tickets, your credit card will automatically be charged by BLACK ROCK CITY for the full amount of the tickets you entered to buy, plus all applicable service and delivery fees. Purchases will be charged sometime between December 12-19. You will also receive an email confirmation of your purchase to the email address you provided in your Registration.

Sincerely,

Burning Man Tickets
http://tickets.burningman.com
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby DanusLight » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Okay, since work blocks gmail, I will check when I get home. If I have no confirmation email I will start over.

My Goddess this has frazzled my nerves!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 pm

@DanusLight - If you don't receive an email confirmation within a few minutes, your registration was not accepted. No worries, you can register when you get home this evening, everyone registering at any time during the two week window has an equal chance.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jayell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Just tried to register for the 'pre-lottery'. 'TRIED' being the key word. lol I've never attended or purchased tickets to Burning Man before so my answers to questions 2 & 3 would be 0, zero. Zero isn't an option, so I either LIE and choose a number (which, to me, goes against participating in Burning Man to begin with), or I don't get to page two until the system is fixed. Hoping very much that ticketing system gets fixed before opportunity to register is lost.

jayell
jayell

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion