Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 pm

FenixFaye wrote:Would it be worth it to start considering having two Burning Man events a year?? West coast and East coast?? This may lessen the novelty of it, but let's face it.. more people are gravitating towards this event.. EVENTUALLY, they will have to do this..

:shrugs:

There are East Coast burns (and ones in Texas, and Arizona, and Utah, and the Midwest, and New Zealand, and Ireland, and more...) They're called Regionals. You can read up about them at the link.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby FenixFaye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:31 pm

well.. the regionals are a good idea, but they don't seem quite the same.. I live in north Louisiana and have no interest in going to New Orleans, or Dallas.. they have nothing on their calendars anyways :cry:
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

Postby graidawg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 pm

hi, just thought I would say trilo, eric, savannah and all the other moderators deserve a big round of applause for not just completely losing it with the repetitve questions and people who cant read the newsletters. not saying i am happy about the whole system but if it means a cant go for whatever reason well i didnt get to go to queenslast gig either and i didnt die.
hope i do go though i have great things planned for the MARMITE vs vegemite challenge next year.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby FenixFaye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 pm

agreed. The community has been going up in flames lately!! 8) It requires a lot of patience to deal with this mob.
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:15 pm

@Graidawg - thanks, glad to be able to help… and extremely glad to be working with such a great team and community.

@FenixFaye - more is only better if you can do it right. It takes the BMOrg the majority of its time and resources to do the Burning Man event. A secondary event would likely require very significant time and financial investment, I'm not sure that would be the way to go. Besides, through their actions the BMOrg has already shown that their interests are in growing the regional network and supporting regional events (which seem to get more awesome every year, I wish I had the time and money to go on a worldwide tour of them all), as well as the mission to 'take it off the playa' with the Burning Man Project - take the things we've learned from our crazy experiment in the desert and find ways to apply it in Defaultia. Stuff you may care to look into in the way of additional events (by no means a complete list)… Flipside (Texas, Memorial Day weekend), Lightning In A Bottle (Southern California, Memorial Day weekend), Critical Massive (Washington state, end of June), and 4th of Juplaya (on the playa, 4th of July). Check with the New York regional, they may also be involved with or know more about something significant in the vicinity.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:18 pm

graidawg wrote:hi, just thought I would say trilo, eric, savannah and all the other moderators deserve a big round of applause for not just completely losing it with the repetitve questions and people who cant read the newsletters. not saying i am happy about the whole system but if it means a cant go for whatever reason well i didnt get to go to queenslast gig either and i didnt die.
hope i do go though i have great things planned for the MARMITE vs vegemite challenge next year.

Aw, Grai, ya big sweetheart. :D *hugs*
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Oops, hit the button too soon. I wanted to add, you may want to consider jumping in to help the group in your area make something happen. It doesn't have to have 50K people in order to be an amazing event and transformational experience, and there's a lot to be said for being a part of making something magical happen.

And PS… I think there's some kind of awesome event that happens in Missouri, but couldn't recall the name. Shipwrecked, I believe. Has anybody here been, or could weigh in with info and experience?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FenixFaye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:50 pm

thx trilo!! duly noted.
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Isn't Gateway in or around Missouri?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby remi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 pm

graidawg wrote:hi, just thought I would say trilo, eric, savannah and all the other moderators deserve a big round of applause for not just completely losing it with the repetitve questions and people who cant read the newsletters. not saying i am happy about the whole system but if it means a cant go for whatever reason well i didnt get to go to queenslast gig either and i didnt die.

^^Agree. People are trying to make this much harder then it is. Whatever happened to radical self-reliance? I'm pretty confident with the new system, and I believe anyone that really wants a ticket will be able to get one.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby jcliff » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Ugghh...the only thing upsetting me right now is that there seems to be a LOT of people planning to get in on the presale lottery. I was hoping to dive on that and pay the extra money for a peace of mind. Now it seems like that isn't the given that I thought it would be. Do you think the enthusiatic "in" for presale is a reflection of committed Burners on eplaya, and not a reflection of the community at large? I realize that this is purely conjecture, but I'm hoping to hear some soothing responses. Come on people! Where's that "wait until the last minute" spirit?
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 am

jcliff wrote:Ugghh...the only thing upsetting me right now is that there seems to be a LOT of people planning to get in on the presale lottery. I was hoping to dive on that and pay the extra money for a peace of mind. Now it seems like that isn't the given that I thought it would be. Do you think the enthusiatic "in" for presale is a reflection of committed Burners on eplaya, and not a reflection of the community at large? I realize that this is purely conjecture, but I'm hoping to hear some soothing responses. Come on people! Where's that "wait until the last minute" spirit?

Yep, this is making me nervous too. We were going to do the multiple sign up thing, but have decided to put in for the presale for just the two of us. However, if we don't get selected I won't not promise not to do multiple sign ups for the general lottery.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby FenixFaye » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 am

://// honestly, as a newbie, I was planning on doing this for my boyfriend and I. Only because I believe I will have the money to do so. I don't want to take the spot of someone who needs a cheaper ticket either. lol.. I'm starting to feel like a real pain in the side to other burners with this new system.. since I'm far from senior status, there really isn't any tier where I won't be "taking someone else's spot" :?
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

Postby Sham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 am

The idea of a lottery is for you to have as much chance as anyone. Jump in and go for the tickets. You deserve them as much as the next person. Keep in mind that tickets sold out in July last year, so there are lots to go around. It may sell out again, but if you start early, you are assured of getting tickets.
Sham

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 am

Shambala wrote: [..]but if you start early, you are assured of getting tickets.

*cringe*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby remi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 am

jcliff wrote:Ugghh...the only thing upsetting me right now is that there seems to be a LOT of people planning to get in on the presale lottery. I was hoping to dive on that and pay the extra money for a peace of mind. Now it seems like that isn't the given that I thought it would be. Do you think the enthusiatic "in" for presale is a reflection of committed Burners on eplaya, and not a reflection of the community at large? I realize that this is purely conjecture, but I'm hoping to hear some soothing responses. Come on people! Where's that "wait until the last minute" spirit?

I just thought it would be nice for me and my campmates to go for the more expensive tickets because we all have pretty ok careers and on top of that some of us are successful bussiness owners, and it makes more sense for us to purchase the more expensive tickets.. however, with the more expensive tickets being sold first, everyone will see that as a better chance to get a ticket, therefor making the expensive tickets hard to come by. I would feel pretty guilty if I missed the pre-sale, then registed in every tier (with help of non-burner friends) for the regular sale, but only ended up winning the first tier ticket price. I would be forced to purchase the cheapest ticket. Just to up the chances of getting a more expensive ticket, all my campmates (we all paired up because there are lots of couples,) have each decided to purchase 4 pre-sale tickets (per pair of people).. in hoping that at least half of us will make it. If we end up with extra tickets, we'll have to find a non-profit way of selling them, while making sure they don't end up in scalper hands (in other words, sell them to friends of friends, or to people on this forum that need a ticket before building a piece of art, etc.) If we don't end up with enough tickets, then it's every man for himself for the next round. Many of my campmates talked about getting non-burner friends to put there names in other tiers to up there chances... but I hope it doesn't get to that.
remi

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 am

After sleeping on it for a couple of days, I think I know why many of us don't like the lottery system.

Being a system, it can be gamed. Average Burners of average means will be the most disadvantaged.

The participants in the lottery will be Burners and Speculators. Burners want tickets for themselves, many at the lowest possible price; Speculators (scalpers, but read on) want to buy at a sufficiently low price that they can resell for a profit or use profitably.

In the first round, you can buy tickets for $420. These are almost entirely valueless to speculators because the event would have to sell out for themto be worth face value, and even then it's a gamble to see if you can get enough to compensate for the purchase, delivery costs, paying proxies, etc. They are good for people putting together $10,000 packages, where the the ticket is a minor part of the cost, and, similarly, for key members of theme camps whose expenses are so gargantuan that assuring their attendance is worth the $30 extra over the third tier.

Then there's the main lottery. Here's the flaw: The $240 tickets are VERY valuable to scalpers, since they can mark them up quite a bit before they hit the second tier, let alone the third tier. If you score a $240 ticket, you can sell it for $300 and still come in at less than the second tier, and, probably more to the point, you can sell it for $320 to $350 and still be markedly cheaper than the third tier and turn a nice profit. You don't need the event to sell out for these tickets to be valuable, all you need is for 28,001 people to want to go.

The second tier is more of a gamble for out-and-out scalpers, but there's another category of speculator that would be interested in the bottom two tiers: theme camps. I'm guessing most camps are like mine, they can always use a few extra tickets to trade for labor and to provide for key members who are in economic trouble. As this is money that would otherwise be spent on the camp budget, you'd much rather pay $240 or $320 for extra tickets than $390. If you can save an average $100 on 5 tickets, that's $500, which is real money for most theme camps.

So here's what I see: there will be a LOT of bids at $240. If you're a scalper, it's the only way to go, and there's no reason not to go heavy. They'll offer proxies $20, $25 per ticket, so if you're a starving college student or whatever, you can earn $40 or $50 for bidding for 2 tix. Even with $20 shipping and handling, that's still costing the scalpers below $300, so they can sell for $350 and make a pretty low-risk profit.

For theme camps, the math is even more attractive. You get your non-Burner friends to put in for either of the bottom two tiers, while the members with their acts together bid at all three levels. We'll assume that most people who bid $390 will actually get their tickets for $390 (and if not, there's another chance) and that a few people who bid at the lower tiers will get theirs. There is a small risk that you end up with too many tickets, but pretty much those will be low-priced tickets, so you can sell them for less than $390, which should be do-able even if the event doesn't sell out. If it DOES sell out, then you sell the $390 tickets and keep the cheaper ones.

Finally, because $240 is so much less than the other tiers, especially the third, there will be Burners of limited means who won't bid at the $390 level and maybe not at the $320 level (for a couple, that's $780 or $640 vs. $480). They'll all pile in at $240 -- because if you decide not to go, you can always sell the ticket for what you paid for it plus s/h.

It used to be that the first- and second-tier tickets went to early purchasers, but now there's no specific reward for being early, just a penalty for being late -- you'll DEFINITELY pay $390 or you won't get a ticket except from a scalper.

From the Bmorg's point of view, the lottery looks the same, three tiers at increasing prices, but for bidders, your odds of scoring a first tier ticket is pretty low. The weighted average price of the available tickets is $326.25, but for the average bidder, who only needs tickets for personal use, the most likely outcome is $390.

(cross posting this on Tribe)
Mitch

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: The Black Rock Beacon

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Mitch wrote:Being a system, it can be gamed. Average Burners of average means will be the most disadvantaged.
..... The weighted average price of the available tickets is $326.25, but for the average bidder, who only needs tickets for personal use, the most likely outcome is $390.

Excellent analysis.
The $240 and $320 tiers are going to be very hit hard by resellers.
A large percentage of the "I can only afford, so I only bid $240/320" crowd will be unsuccessful and they are either going to have to pony up big bucks, not attend, or wait till the last minute for a *miracle*.
Just_Joe

Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 am

News flash: The difference in pricing from top to bottom tier is $150.

$150.

The difference between tier 2 and 3? $70.

If $70 is enough to seriously keep you away, well.. then. That sounds like more of a personal issue than anything.

I mean seriously.. go donate some plasma or something if that's all that's keeping you from attending. Not to sound like a dick, but in the grand scheme of things that's really not all that much money and it blows me away the people that want to make a federal case out of it like the sky is falling. I guess it all comes down to what the event is worth to you. To me, it's one of the if not the most important adventures that I have all year long. That alone is worth much more than $70 to me. What's it worth to you?
junglesmacks

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:09 pm

junglesmacks wrote: Not to sound like a dick, but in the grand scheme of things that's really not all that much money

Neither is $16 for a dry roast beef sandwich and a limp carrot at the airport when compared to an $800 plane ticket.

But the point that was made was:
Being a system, it can be gamed. Average Burners of average means will be the most disadvantaged.

Because there is a lottery, the allocation of less expensive tickets will be weighted towards those that have the means to register multiple times.
Maybe I missed it, but have you or anyone else suggested a reason that the MULTI TIERED PRICING of the lottery in it's present form is a good thing?
Just_Joe

Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm

weather man wrote:
junglesmacks wrote: Not to sound like a dick, but in the grand scheme of things that's really not all that much money

Neither is $16 for a dry roast beef sandwich and a limp carrot at the airport when compared to an $800 plane ticket.

No, it's not. But.. if you're on a layover on a very long trip as evidenced by an $800 plane ticket and that's all there is to eat? I'll spend the $16 if I absolutely have to.

weather man wrote:But the point that was made was:

Because there is a lottery, the allocation of less expensive tickets will be weighted towards those that have the means to register multiple times.
Maybe I missed it, but have you or anyone else suggested a reason that the MULTI TIERED PRICING of the lottery in it's present form is a good thing?

I will agree with you 1000% on that. Tiers have absolutely no business being involved if there is not only a lottery system, but a lottery system that does not even let you choose ONLY a higher ticket in order to help subsidize the lower/low income tickets. It's completely asinine.
junglesmacks

Postby remi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm

All tickets should have been 350$ (except the low income bracket.) Then they could have 3 or 4 different rounds of purchases (just because some people need more time to purchase tickets....

You know what.. I'm going to stop right now. I've exhausted the entire 'ticket' topic. If BM wants my opinion.. I'm sure they'll ask.
remi

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:36 pm

remi wrote:You know what.. I'm going to stop right now. I've exhausted the entire 'ticket' topic. If BM wants my opinion.. I'm sure they'll ask.

My name is junglesmacks, and I approve this post.. :D
junglesmacks

Postby unjonharley » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
remi wrote:You know what.. I'm going to stop right now. I've exhausted the entire 'ticket' topic. If BM wants my opinion.. I'm sure they'll ask.

My name is junglesmacks, and I approve this post.. :D

Amen to that
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 pm

weather man wrote:Because there is a lottery, the allocation of less expensive tickets will be weighted towards those that have the means to register multiple times.

There is that filtering. So, unless people are having their mothers and co-workers enter as back-ups (and that won't necessarily be those of more means), everyone should have the same chance (One entry, one shot) at the low priced tickets. PEople of more means will have a better overall shot at a ticket, because they will be able to be in the pool for the 390s as well as the 240s.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:There is that filtering. So, unless people are having their mothers and co-workers enter as back-ups (and that won't necessarily be those of more means), everyone should have the same chance (One entry, one shot) at the low priced tickets.

Weatherman understood what I was trying to say: Joe Burner wouldn't have any reason to ask Mom and Desk Buddy to bid, he only needs his ticket(s) so he'll just bid $390 and hope for the best, which will probably end up being $390. If he got other people to bid for him, he'd run the risk of owning extra tickets, and to just have one or two wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Joe Scalper will use his network of proxies to bid on 100s of $240 tix, knowing that if he can get 20, he can make $1,000 or more.

Joe Theme Camp will ask Mom and Desk Buddy to bid $240 and $320, while he bids $390. That way, he's pretty sure of getting his own, full-priced tickets and maybe getting some extras that his camp will need.
Mitch

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Perhaps I missed it somewhere... In the past people that wanted to but the high tier tickets could do so since they could afford it and it was their way of supporting those that could only afford the low tier tickets. (Quit laughing, there were at least of few of them ;) )

Now, if I understand the new system correctly, instead of 3 checkboxes that you can mark which tier lotteries you want to be in, there is only a radio button where you only select the highest tier you want to be in a you are then automatically entered into all the lower tier lotteries as well.

Why? What is the point of this part of the system?
Give those that want to the option to only be entered into the upper tiers to give the less wealthy a better shot at the lower tier tickets.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

@Mitch - the challenge for Joe Scalper is it requires either a massive cash outlay to the proxies, which would be tied up until ticket fulfillment in June. For the proxy to play stake-holder and split that investment (a considerable amount of time for them), it would require a greater share of the profits (making the whole effort less desirable to them). Under the old system, not only could they do all that with a much shorter turnaround, but there'd be no scalper prevention or countermeasures (since it's an immediate transaction). Joe Theme Camp could also do the same thing, with much greater effect (since ticket limits were not as strict) in the past. If anything, limited financial resources actually reduces this potential problem (not everybody can afford to commit to 2x or 3x the tickets they need).

@capjbadger - the mistake you're making is that you're operating under the impression that buying the highest tier actually had a direct benefit on the disadvantaged. It did not. It helped offset the low tier ticket, which many people who could afford more saw as an advantage for planning ahead and buying early. If you really want to make sure you help someone who's disadvantaged, take the difference between what you actually pay and $390 and give it to a burner friend in your social circle who's struggling. Find someone who could only bid $240 and didn't get lucky, and offer to help them cover that gap so they can afford to buy at $390 in the secondary sale. :mrgreen:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 pm

trilobyte wrote:@Mitch - the challenge for Joe Scalper is it requires either a massive cash outlay to the proxies, which would be tied up until ticket fulfillment in June. For the proxy to play stake-holder and split that investment (a considerable amount of time for them), it would require a greater share of the profits (making the whole effort less desirable to them).

My theory is that there are professional scalpers who have networks of proxies that they regularly use. This case might be a bit different in that the proxy has to float a loan to the scalper for a few months, but it's not that risky because the $240 ticket is easily sold if the scalper doesn't pay. I don't think somebody who is doing this regularly would renege on a promise to give the ticket to the scalper just to get a little more money. At 18% interest for 6 months, the added cost for 2 tickets is about $45, so the scalpers might have to pay $50 per ticket to the proxies...say $60 with S/h. That brings the cost to $300, they can pretty easily sell them for $350, so if they can score 20 tickets, that's $1,000. If the event sells out again, then they can do much better than that.
Mitch

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:54 pm

For people in that kind of business, there's a lot better opportunities with anything ranging from camping out for the next iPad launch, or any of hundreds of ticketed events happening every single month in every major city. Concert tickets, sporting events, anything with the potential to sell out and have a shorter turnaround would be a more enticing business opportunity. Especially considering the dim view that most participants take on scalping, versus other events. That's not to say there's a market for tickets over face value, it's just that the opportunities are much greater elsewhere. We'll see soon enough.
trilobyte
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion