Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby BetaBox » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

*deleted*

used the google....late to the party.

Fuck, i'm finally feeling the frustration of this ticket fiasco.
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 pm

alas, not needed
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jasmina » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered :) I did my best at skimming through the threads and this is my first post.

Me and my friend both really want to go to )'( but aren't sure how best to enter for tickets. We can both afford top tier tickets, but can't afford to give any tickets away. (Once I can afford it I am SOO gifting tickets in the future)

We could:
each enter for 1 ticket (I really want to go, regardless of if I have friend(s) going (burners = family, so it's not like I'd actually be alone))
one person enters for 2 tickets (this either let's both of us go or none...)
each enters for 2 tickets (only if the odds of getting tickets are low enough and we can re-sell the extra tickets. I'm still not sure if this would be possible for us... but I'm determined to finally make it out to Black Rock City this year, so I may be willing to put a large charge on my credit card as long as I can re-sell and not actually have to pay $800)

Do you know which method would increase our chances of both going?
What are you beautiful burners doing?

Thank you for all your help. Love you all <3
jasmina

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

If you can afford to, then register for the highest tier (it gives you a chance at tickets at each tier). The drawings are done in order, lowest to highest tier, so if you're fortunate enough to get awarded tickets at a lower tier then that is what you will be charged. When your name is drawn, you will be awarded the # of tickets you registered for.

If you're getting an extra ticket for a specific individual or purpose, that's completely understandable. But registering for extra tickets simply to increase your chances (hoarding) seems like a bad move. Not only would it potentially come at the expense of other burners who you'd potentially block from getting a ticket (that you don't even need), but you'd be tying up that extra cash until at least June (when ticket orders are fulfilled).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby alt12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm

trilobyte wrote:If you can afford to, then register for the highest tier (it gives you a chance at tickets at each tier). The drawings are done in order, lowest to highest tier, so if you're fortunate enough to get awarded tickets at a lower tier then that is what you will be charged. When your name is drawn, you will be awarded the # of tickets you registered for.

If you're getting an extra ticket for a specific individual or purpose, that's completely understandable. But registering for extra tickets simply to increase your chances (hoarding) seems like a bad move. Not only would it potentially come at the expense of other burners who you'd potentially block from getting a ticket (that you don't even need), but you'd be tying up that extra cash until at least June (when ticket orders are fulfilled).

I went to the ticket page itself and again, this tiering is ever so vague. It simply asks you to "CHOOSE THE HIGHEST TICKET PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD & QUANTITY." I see no where any stipulation that by choosing a higher tier you are de facto choosing both tiers or all three tiers. I have looked scrupulously through the FAQs and all the info on the ticketing page and despite your assurances I don't' see it spelled out anywhere that by choosing say "390" I am actually choosing first to be part of the 240, then if that fails for me the 320 and then if I don't get those two lotteries than the 390 lottery and specifically in that sequence. Where does it say that the drawings are done in sequence from lowest to highest as opposed to simultaneously, or from highest to lowest. Obviously it would make a difference in terms of outcome.

I mean is it me or is this process almost purposefully opaque???
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby robotland » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Whew! Took a few minutes for that registration tab to appear....but the overall process didn't hurt much FWIW. And now I wait.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 pm

I've clarified that in a number of places (including where you've quoted it). But the tickets page, section II bullet point 4 states:

On or before February 1, a random selection will be conducted to award 40,000 tickets as follows:
  • $240: 10,000 tickets
  • $320: 15,000 tickets
  • $390: 15,000 tickets
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Minxy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

alt12 wrote:
trilobyte wrote:If you can afford to, then register for the highest tier (it gives you a chance at tickets at each tier). The drawings are done in order, lowest to highest tier, so if you're fortunate enough to get awarded tickets at a lower tier then that is what you will be charged. When your name is drawn, you will be awarded the # of tickets you registered for.

I went to the ticket page itself and again, this tiering is ever so vague. It simply asks you to "CHOOSE THE HIGHEST TICKET PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD & QUANTITY." I see no where any stipulation that by choosing a higher tier you are de facto choosing both tiers or all three tiers. I have looked scrupulously through the FAQs and all the info on the ticketing page and despite your assurances I don't' see it spelled out anywhere that by choosing say "390" I am actually choosing first to be part of the 240, then if that fails for me the 320 and then if I don't get those two lotteries than the 390 lottery and specifically in that sequence. Where does it say that the drawings are done in sequence from lowest to highest as opposed to simultaneously, or from highest to lowest. Obviously it would make a difference in terms of outcome.

I mean is it me or is this process almost purposefully opaque???

I noticed that as well. A bit upsetting to me as since there is no mention of it, it's impossible to know if they are actually doing the lottery in that fashion or not. :(
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby findmarc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 pm

It would be interesting to see how many people register on Day One or Two, or by the end of the first week. Any chance of that info being shared with us by the Borg?????
findmarc

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 pm

It's doubtful, though I'm sure the answer would be interesting.

(It might also be misleading, since the "scrubbing" of duplicate registrations and known scalpers won't happen until late January.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm

There are no plans to publish registration details anytime before the event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby alt12 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am

trilobyte wrote:I've clarified that in a number of places (including where you've quoted it). But the tickets page, section II bullet point 4 states:

On or before February 1, a random selection will be conducted to award 40,000 tickets as follows:
  • $240: 10,000 tickets
  • $320: 15,000 tickets
  • $390: 15,000 tickets

I see that. I guess I would expect something with so much money changing hands to be more professionally handled. I mean just saying "as follows" with bulletpoints does not actually literally state in this sequence. Bullet points do note connote sequence, order or timing. They are equal. There is no chronology explained here. I see what are you saying and have to take it as that (what alternative do I have) but I for one have found the wording vague, opaque and rather sloppy. We're talking hundreds of dollars here. I really wish they would explain this in a simple straigh-foward manner. For example:

"We will be conducting a random selection for 10,000 tickets at $240 FIRST then once those tickets have been awarded we will conduct another round for 15,000 tickets at $320. Once those tickets have been awarded we will conduct a third round for 15,000 tickets at $390." Rather than just 3 bullet points.

And instead of this "how much can you afford language" how just clearly state "By selection $390 you are enlisting in all 3 lotteries. If your name is selected for the $240 lottery you order will be filled and completed at that price. If is is not selected for that lottery, you will then be entered into the $320 drawing, etc. etc."

The lottery system itself seems fine to me. I find the language infuriatingly sloppy and non-specific and leaving everyone to interpret and figure out what it all means. Presentation with this change has been my complaint from day one, not the actual content of the change. I bet if the communication had been handled better there would be 10% of the questions, comments, complaints, bitchings, etc. on this (including even the cryptic pre-announcing of this change with almost no details leading people to freak out about not being able to get tickets because no one spelled out how the lottery would work, etc.)

And thank you Trilobyte for responding to my multiple questions on this!
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Ratty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 am

I just saw something very funny on eBay. Old, used burning man tickets sold for $57 each. I'm just sayin...If you have some that you don't cherish, it's a way to raise money for this years ticket.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 am

For what it's worth, the complaints and venting of frustration have been remarkably light considering the significance of the changes to the well established system. From my perspective, there was a much bigger uproar when tickets had sold out. I suspect that there would have been a fair amount of complaint and venting of frustration had their been no change to the system. I'll continue to lobby for making things clearer in upcoming revisions to the tickets page & FAQ.

Speaking of which, there was an error made in last night's update to the ticket info & FAQ. It should have been updated to reflect that participants in the main sale (which has a limit of 2) will be able to participate in the secondary sale (which has a limit of 4 and begins on March 28). If you got 2 in the main sale, you'll be able to come back and get 2 more (for a grand total of 4 tickets) in the secondary sale. It should be corrected in the next ticket/FAQ page update.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby shykat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

We got xmas tickets,the shipping adress was wrong and a simple form was filled out and faxed to the ticket peeps.Can we confirm that they got the fax and that they have my correct shipping adress. Sometimes i get worried when the tickets are not in my hands.....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 am

trilobyte wrote:Speaking of which, there was an error made in last night's update to the ticket info & FAQ. It should have been updated to reflect that participants in the main sale (which has a limit of 2) will be able to participate in the secondary sale (which has a limit of 4 and begins on March 28). If you got 2 in the main sale, you'll be able to come back and get 2 more (for a grand total of 4 tickets) in the secondary sale. It should be corrected in the next ticket/FAQ page update.

Good news. Thank you.
Is there a "change list" for the update?
If not, can you clue me/us in on any changes (like above) that may be material?
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I am almost certainly over-thinking this but... The online form points out the zip code as being checked against the credit card billing address, but I'm assuming the rest of the address is also checked.

So, what if I put "Ter" instead of "Terrace" in my billing address? Or "Dr." instead of "Drive," or "Rd" instead of "Road"?

I don't want to email those hard-working volunteers/staff if this has already been answered elsewhere (I haven't been able to find it), but I also would hate to lose my pick for a ticket over something as silly as abbreviating (or NOT abbreviating) or missing a period.

Thanks all!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 pm

<rolling eyes> If the card clears, you have nothing to worry about. Remember, these people are a bunch of stoned burners whose main objective in life is to make things as easy upon themselves as possible. Ter vs. Terrace? And you really were worried that THAT might make a difference? I need another drink.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 pm

All people living on a "Terrace" are obviously 1%ers and get VIP tickets.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby 5280MeV » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:All people living on a "Terrace" are obviously 1%ers and get VIP tickets.

I don't think that the credit card company cares about the street suffix. I could be wrong, but I think that most addressing is such that you cannot have a 1234 burner st. and 1234 burner rd. in the same zip code.

I changed my road suffix to Blvd so that I would get access to the club level.
5280MeV

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

5280MeV wrote:I don't think that the credit card company cares about the street suffix. I could be wrong, but I think that most addressing is such that you cannot have a 1234 burner st. and 1234 burner rd. in the same zip code.

...unless we're talking about roads named "Peachtree ____" in Atlanta, of which there are over sixty (http://www.atlanta.net/visitors/folklore.html). Thanks for the assurance, though :)

On the serious side, I guess I shouldn't have turned to the internet for consolation when worried about such a piddling thing. I think I'll go self-rely under this rock over here...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm

If you think you made a mistake, use this form:

http://tickets2.burningman.com/contact.php

You could also call your CC company and ask what info is verified when someone knocks on the door of your account. It's probably CC number, exp. date, 3-digit number on the back (sometimes), name on the card, and maybe 5-digit billing zip code. What is less likely is that they care about perfect abbreviations and dots vs no dots, because humans don't do those things consistently to save their own lives. But I admit I'm not 100% sure.

Do either or both--whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Direct from the Ticket Overlords ~

Low Income tickets will all be held at will call and paid for upon pickup.

If someone can't go, the person isn't out the money and stuck with selling it.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:53 am

@Weather Man - I did (as you read). When I get additional or changed info, I post it in relevant threads and make announcements as necessary.

@ensimismada - banks are generally tolerant of minor variations in spelling or use of abbreviations on things like street names. If your bank regularly declines charges for something so trivial, then yes you should correct your info.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby funkyjigsaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 am

trilobyte wrote: It should have been updated to reflect that participants in the main sale (which has a limit of 2) will be able to participate in the secondary sale (which has a limit of 4 and begins on March 28). If you got 2 in the main sale, you'll be able to come back and get 2 more (for a grand total of 4 tickets) in the secondary sale. It should be corrected in the next ticket/FAQ page update.

Ah ha!!! I missed this. This makes a huge difference to me, as I have 2 tickets already, but now realize I need another one. Excellent! Thank you!
funkyjigsaw

Postby funkyjigsaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

ensimismada wrote:I am almost certainly over-thinking this but... The online form points out the zip code as being checked against the credit card billing address, but I'm assuming the rest of the address is also checked.

So, what if I put "Ter" instead of "Terrace" in my billing address? Or "Dr." instead of "Drive," or "Rd" instead of "Road"?

I don't want to email those hard-working volunteers/staff if this has already been answered elsewhere (I haven't been able to find it), but I also would hate to lose my pick for a ticket over something as silly as abbreviating (or NOT abbreviating) or missing a period.

Thanks all!

I suggest you look at your credit card statement, and use the address EXACTLY as it is printed on that.
funkyjigsaw

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:35 pm

@funky, @trilo, @Savannah: Thanks, guys! I double-checked against a bank statement, so I guess I'm good.

For what it's worth, I'm entirely confident I'll get some form of ticket by the time all the sales are over. I guess it's the semi-starving grad student in me that eyes the lower tiers so rabidly.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi all,

Is the "shipping" address referred to in the confirmation email that you registered the same as the "billing" address we entered when completing the registration form? I am almost positive it is because it was the only place to enter an address...just making myself nervous that I messed up. If anyone knows you will help me sleep better tonight!

Many Thanks!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Yes. Apparently, you can change the shipping address (I think after you win the tickets, but I'm not sure, someone will be) but default is that they are the same.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Thank you! I can sleep in peace!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion