OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 pm

junglesmacks wrote:More important question: How do you function in life being such a short sighted drama queen?

me?
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 pm

stretch80 wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:More important question: How do you function in life being such a short sighted drama queen?

me?



Doh? Ray?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27538
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:52 pm

ygmir wrote:
stretch80 wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:More important question: How do you function in life being such a short sighted drama queen?

me?



Doh? Ray?


A needle pulling thread?

No Stretch, the poster above you. Mr. ctrl-c ctrl-v.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 pm

as if there's an option to push thread..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27538
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Isn't that what sex after 60 is like?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
A needle pulling thread?

No Stretch, the poster above you. Mr. ctrl-c ctrl-v.

ah, well I tried...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby Mamachicken32 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 pm

OCCUPY BURNINGMAN!!!!!! PROTEST
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:49 am
Location: oakland california
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Ken's nutz

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Mamachicken32 wrote:OCCUPY BURNINGMAN!!!!!! PROTEST


Sure, trespass on federal land.... That will go well.

(Federal ticket for trespassing. Federal arrest warrant if not paid.)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby capjbadger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Mamachicken32 wrote:OCCUPY BURNINGMAN!!!!!! PROTEST


Sure, trespass on federal land.... That will go well.

(Federal ticket for trespassing. Federal arrest warrant if not paid.)

Oh please do. I'm bored. *popcorn*
Nom nom nom...

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby britzbitz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 am

illy dilly wrote:
britzbitz wrote: between the sell out and the festival. Tickets went for ridiculous prices (upwards of $600 each) shortly after the sell out. But, prices were actually driven down closer to the event when (most) people weren't willing to pay those prices (double the face value of a ticket).

In the end, we ended up seeing people in Salmo (the small town near the event) who couldn't sell their excess of tickets for more than $100 a piece. In a lot of cases, people ended up giving tickets away because they just couldn't get rid of them. I found that deliciously satisfying, personally.

There have been some suspcious orders this year (one individual ordering upwards of 30 tickets), but there haven't been many. We definitely need to work on a plan to address the scalping issue better next year. But as far as I can tell, no event has ever been able to beat scalpers, regardless of the ticketing system.

Yeah the initial Burning Man "sell out panic" was pretty freaking funny last year!

Thats nuts that interest in Shambhala has grown that fast in a single. Though, 30 tickets to a single individual is pretty interesting, to say the least.
I'd be interested in contacting the person and seeing what they plan to do with the 30 tickets.


Yeah - we have a limit of 3 tickets per order, so the person was putting through multiple orders. At this point, we have no way to limit that, although we are looking into it for next year. Our ticket admin has contacted any "suspicious looking" orders, asking what their intentions are. Of course, we can't *really* do anything about it - but the phone call lets them know that we have an eye on them.

We've also advised our crowd to "wait it out" for the outrageous prices to drop (http://shambhalamusicfestival.wordpress ... bbs-advic/) on tix being sold by 3rd parties. It won't work 100%, but I'm fairly confident that things could play out the same as last year - if people can't move their ridiculously priced tickets, the prices will drop, for fear of losing the investment.

The much quicker sell out caught us off guard this year. We were expecting strong sales, but nothing like this. Its accelerated our whole work timeline. We don't even have our volunteer apps available yet. We're pretty much scrambling, playing catch up. But, we did notice the same trend in other electronic music focused events last year - Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival. And they're experiencing the same thing this year. Ultra sold out 6 weeks before their festival (in March) last year. They put their 2012 tix on sale in October (165,000 total) and are already 70% sold out.

We also took notice of how strong BM's first day of sales were last year. That was a bit of an indicator to us what was coming. While BM can't be lumped in with the electronic music festivals, it certainly does draw some of that crowd. I go for the overall experience, personally, but the sound camps were a big draw for me.

And currently, with EDM blowing up so quickly in North America, there aren't enough festivals/events to meet the demand. Or at least, I'm drawing that conclusion based on the accelerated ticket sales. If we had the room at our venue, I'm betting we could sell another 10k tickets, at least.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
User avatar
britzbitz
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Nelson BC
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby illy dilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 am

Interesting.
I wonder if much of it has to do with a slightly recovering economy. Or people figure, the worst is over they don't need to save every last penny "just in case".

You mention the growing trend towards EDM. Never thought about it.
Almost everyone I know has been going to raves and big electronic massives for years. But, as we get older we don't stop going, but there are more younger folks going all the time.
I look at my older brother and sister (10 years older), to them EDM "was for Asian kids and X heads". For almost everyone I know my age, EDM is the norm. But I also only know the people I know... Whom I've met mostly through parting.
But you do see a much larger amount of EDM type music played on the radio now. Especially with songs like Korn's "Get up".
Hum, interesting, never thought about it before. Always just sorta figured the EDM 'crowd' stayed at a balance. As folks get older, and move on, younger folks get into the scene.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby britzbitz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

illy dilly wrote:Interesting.
I wonder if much of it has to do with a slightly recovering economy. Or people figure, the worst is over they don't need to save every last penny "just in case".

You mention the growing trend towards EDM. Never thought about it.
Almost everyone I know has been going to raves and big electronic massives for years. But, as we get older we don't stop going, but there are more younger folks going all the time.
I look at my older brother and sister (10 years older), to them EDM "was for Asian kids and X heads". For almost everyone I know my age, EDM is the norm. But I also only know the people I know... Whom I've met mostly through parting.
But you do see a much larger amount of EDM type music played on the radio now. Especially with songs like Korn's "Get up".
Hum, interesting, never thought about it before. Always just sorta figured the EDM 'crowd' stayed at a balance. As folks get older, and move on, younger folks get into the scene.


Not so sure about the economy. Everything I hear on the news about that seems pretty bleak. Talks of a "double dip recession". But I also have a (personal) theory that people need celebration MORE in times that are otherwise bleak and depressing. The recession a few years ago never hit our event. I'm guessing it didn't effect BM too much either. Perhaps more traditional events were hit hard - espeially those relying on sponsorship dollars, because those just disappeared more or less. But from my observations at that time, the need to celebrate was pretty great. I saw a lot more small, 200-300 person outdoor "raves" during that time in our area, for example.

Back to EDM - honestly, I probably wouldn't notice as much if I wasn't literally entrenched in it.

EDM has hit the mainstream in a big way, especially with artists like Skrillex. Think of him what you will (everyone seems to have an opinion), but he (and dubstep it seems) are breaking down the boundaries that were there before, and much quicker than I would have thought possible a couple years ago. At my wedding in September, my 13 year old cousin asked me if I could get the DJ to play some Skrillex. I told her that no one but "us" (humouring her) would enjoy Skrillex, but I'd get the DJ to play some other EDM, stuff that would appeal more to everyone including our parents. But the truth is, I was kinda shocked that she even knew who he was. He headlined one of our stages just the month earlier, 45 min from where she lives, yeah. But I grew up in that town. It was a punk / metal town. Only a few thousand people live there. And she knew about Skrillex?

Yeah, when I was in HS, EDM and going to raves was 'weird'. And that was ok - I was that weird girl who wore an orange bob wig so frequently that people thought it was my real hair, among other things. Now it's like, the complete opposite. EDM is the "cool" thing now. It's the music this new generation of teens relate to. And I think this is due, in part, to technology - like social networking, smartphones, tablets. We're at a place where technology, whether we're aware of it or not, has drastically changed the way we interact, communicate and - how we relate to the world. EDM's surge in popularity is a reflection of that, IMO.

I dunno. I have a lot of ideas and theories. Haha.

Further reading - a very timely article from the Hollywood Reporter yesterday: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... ses-262044
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
User avatar
britzbitz
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Nelson BC
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 pm

britzbitz wrote:Not so sure about the economy. Everything I hear on the news about that seems pretty bleak. Talks of a "double dip recession". But I also have a (personal) theory that people need celebration MORE in times that are otherwise bleak and depressing. The recession a few years ago never hit our event. I'm guessing it didn't effect BM too much either. Perhaps more traditional events were hit hard - espeially those relying on sponsorship dollars, because those just disappeared more or less. But from my observations at that time, the need to celebrate was pretty great. I saw a lot more small, 200-300 person outdoor "raves" during that time in our area, for example.

Traditionally there is an increase in alcohol sales during hard times. Maybe it's just too bleak to do anything but live in the moment at times like these.
I've been reading about the Russian Revoloution and during WWI when things were falling apart in Petrograd the aristocrats and super-rich industrialists were partying at a rate that even Simon would find hard to keep up with. (Simon has become my poster child...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39959
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby britzbitz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I've been reading about the Russian Revoloution and during WWI when things were falling apart in Petrograd the aristocrats and super-rich industrialists were partying at a rate that even Simon would find hard to keep up with. (Simon has become my poster child...)


…I wish I could party like Simon.

I used to be so good at partying. What happened?
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
User avatar
britzbitz
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Nelson BC
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest