OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: OUTRAGE OVER THE LOTTERY!

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:16 pm

lemur wrote:everyone gets a great circlejerk laminate in 2012

Fixed :twisted:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:19 pm

The CO wrote:
Nipple wrote:
remi wrote:I wouldn't be offended if some theme camps that had an excellent moot report card were given special treatment, as well as people on this forum with over 1000 posts.

Oh man... I can only imagine the signal to noise ratio if that rumor got around.

SHUT UP YOU GUYS! Do you want everyone to know the secret!?!?

The real shocker is that posters with over 2500 posts get a free ticket as their reward for involvement in the community (drink!). :mrgreen:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Congrats, btw!

What color are they this year?
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Black, with black print. And glitter polish hologram.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 pm

SWEET!

I just found the "Print at Home" eTix!

Be sure to get Mom or Dad to help you with the glitter!
Nipple

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Straight gorgeous. Only thing better looking is Savannah. :mrgreen:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Nipple wrote:SWEET!

I just found the "Print at Home" eTix!

Be sure to get Mom or Dad to help you with the glitter!

Hmm... you might need a litter less "black box effect" on that pic. ;)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Nipple wrote:
wh..sh wrote:
Giacamogio wrote:From the way I read the JRS lottery announcement most of the problem could be solved by hiring a competent web developer to improve your online ticketing system. I remember clearly how you defended your current developer after the 2011 debacle. Do not defend the past. Invest in the future.

I am up for grabs, but I am quite expensive. But I guarantee that I am a good investment.

*looking over finances*

*rereading*

Oh... web developer.

uh oh... I am really good at mad ninja skills if thats what you were looking for.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm

junglesmacks wrote:*yawn*

This years drama really is better than last years drama..

And I think its just warming up!

This is like the preview trailer for "Ticker Drama 2012: The Lottery" Produced by: "Burnier Than-Though" Directed by:Tis not Fair And the screen play by: Sir Wines Alot
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tamarakay » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 pm

As much as I love Junglesmacks and think he is just the bomb, I think it will be hilarious if he is one of the 15%.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 pm

tamarakay wrote:As much as I love Junglesmacks and think he is just the bomb, I think it will be hilarious if he is one of the 15%.

That would be hilarious!
Especially with all the "don't worry we'll all get tickets" talk.

But if for some reason he didn't get a ticket in the lottery, we'd find him a way into burning man.... with or with out ticket.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby remi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

*NEW UPDATE TO THE RADICAL INCLUSION DEFINITION: Radical Inclusion - Anyone may be a part of Burning Man.. Unless they are very unlucky. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.. exept that you preregister for the lotto. If you fail to do that, you will be unable to participate.

Lucky for me I don't have terribly bad luck, and I know how to follow instructions online. Phew.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 pm

illy dilly wrote:
tamarakay wrote:As much as I love Junglesmacks and think he is just the bomb, I think it will be hilarious if he is one of the 15%.

That would be hilarious!
Especially with all the "don't worry we'll all get tickets" talk.

But if for some reason he didn't get a ticket in the lottery, we'd find him a way into burning man.... with or with out ticket.

Awwwww.. shucks.. *shuffling feet*

Y'all come back now, y'hear? :D

Edit: Yes, I feel verrrrrrryyyyyy strongly that we WILL ALL GET TICKETS.. but.. with one caveat: You better make sure that you're in the first or second round of lottery. If you are, I am seriously willing to bet Illy's first born on it. Think how many people don't read the JRS or even pay attention to tickets until it's too late. Yes, it will sell out again this year I'm about 90% sure of.. but I don't forsee that happening until at least April or so. Just.. get your ass in that first lottery, approve tiers 1-3, and you'll be golden.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby capjbadger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 pm

While the irony would be amazing, I have no doubt that he would score a ticket on the secondary market. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been giving everybody "my word" that they'll get a ticket.

I may have to move, if I'm wrong.
Nipple

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:13 pm

capjbadger wrote:

While the irony would be amazing, I have no doubt that he would score a ticket on the secondary market. :)

-Badger

I would blow your mom for a ticket, Badg.

No, seriously.. I would pay pretty much up to... ummm.. ermm.. I'd say about $2k for one.
junglesmacks

Postby remi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:22 pm

^^ Don't worry.. someone hear will freak out and end up with too many. They'll see your cool picture and feel as if they must gift you one.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby britzbitz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

trilobyte wrote:How is it a money-making scheme? They're still selling the same number of tickets, and will likely sell 100% of the available tickets regardless of how they're sold. If anything, a ticket lottery with multiple rounds held over a period of many months defers income that they would have otherwise gotten in a fairly short period of time on a first come, first served system. Save your outrage, wait until the details and the FAQ have been posted and you can make an informed decision.

I was wondering the same thing. I can't seem to make the jump from "changing the ticketing system" to "money making scheme".

Although, our festival has been accused of the same thing recently, because our online sales completely sold out in 17 days, whereas it took 7 months last year.

Yes, clearly demand going up means the organization behind the event is corporate and evil.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:06 pm

britzbitz wrote:Although, our festival has been accused of the same thing recently, because our online sales completely sold out in 17 days, whereas it took 7 months last year.

Hey Britzbritz, which festival are you talking about?
That is a huge jump in sales. Where there any scalper issues with your event?
illy dilly

Postby tamarakay » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't see how it could be an overall money making scheme, but I can see how it is going to generate much more interest in the Pre-christmas sale. Will be a nice influx of cash early.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:10 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Edit: Yes, I feel verrrrrrryyyyyy strongly that we WILL ALL GET TICKETS.. but.. with one caveat: You better make sure that you're in the first or second round of lottery. If you are, I am seriously willing to bet Illy's first born(*1) on it. Think how many people don't read the JRS or even pay attention to tickets until it's too late. Yes, it will sell out again this year I'm about 90% sure of.. but I don't forsee that happening until at least April or so. Just.. get your ass in that first lottery, approve tiers 1-3, and you'll be golden.

*1- Please all betters be advised illy has no plans for any children, any accidental children will be sold on the black market. or used to pay Junglesmacks gambling debts.
illy dilly

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Illy: I tripped and fell on a urologist.

It's awesome.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:28 pm

britzbitz wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I can't seem to make the jump from "changing the ticketing system" to "money making scheme".

Don't worry. there are thousands of people out there who can make that leap from just about anywhere. It's part of the Burningman Olympic Decathlon, along with Burnier than Thou and the Generator Ignition.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 pm

I don't think the pre-Christmas holiday tickets thing has ever been about filling up the coffers, Tamarakay. Sure, the revenue from that would make a big difference to my finances, but I think their finances are such that it doesn't change things. They put up a small number of tickets to answer the request for some way to be able to be able to give someone a physical ticket "under the tree" as it were. They did it at the top tier because it was felt that it would be unfair to take from the much more limited supply of the lower tiers. That's my understanding of it, anyway.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby britzbitz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:49 pm

illy dilly wrote:
britzbitz wrote:Although, our festival has been accused of the same thing recently, because our online sales completely sold out in 17 days, whereas it took 7 months last year.

Hey Britzbritz, which festival are you talking about?
That is a huge jump in sales. Where there any scalper issues with your event?

Shambhala Music Festival in Canada, and I'm actually talking about our 2012 festival - we've already sold 7600 of 10,000 tickets. Our tickets went on sale on Oct 21st, and sold out online on November 7th. There are still 2400 tickets to be distributed at physical retailers, and to be sold with our Lodging (fully set up campsite) packages.

Yes, there are of course, scalper issues - as there were last year. We sold out on May 26th last year, leaving 2 months between the sell out and the festival. Tickets went for ridiculous prices (upwards of $600 each) shortly after the sell out. But, prices were actually driven down closer to the event when (most) people weren't willing to pay those prices (double the face value of a ticket).

In the end, we ended up seeing people in Salmo (the small town near the event) who couldn't sell their excess of tickets for more than $100 a piece. In a lot of cases, people ended up giving tickets away because they just couldn't get rid of them. I found that deliciously satisfying, personally.

There have been some suspcious orders this year (one individual ordering upwards of 30 tickets), but there haven't been many. We definitely need to work on a plan to address the scalping issue better next year. But as far as I can tell, no event has ever been able to beat scalpers, regardless of the ticketing system. The closest is probably Glastonbury, but goddamn, it would be a pain in the ass to go that route (your photo printed on your non-transferrable ticket - http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/i ... on/tickets).
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Nipple wrote:Illy: I tripped and fell on a urologist.

It's awesome.

Contemplated it for many years!

But sadly, in CO, all the urologists stay in side when its icy.
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm

britzbitz wrote: between the sell out and the festival. Tickets went for ridiculous prices (upwards of $600 each) shortly after the sell out. But, prices were actually driven down closer to the event when (most) people weren't willing to pay those prices (double the face value of a ticket).

In the end, we ended up seeing people in Salmo (the small town near the event) who couldn't sell their excess of tickets for more than $100 a piece. In a lot of cases, people ended up giving tickets away because they just couldn't get rid of them. I found that deliciously satisfying, personally.

There have been some suspcious orders this year (one individual ordering upwards of 30 tickets), but there haven't been many. We definitely need to work on a plan to address the scalping issue better next year. But as far as I can tell, no event has ever been able to beat scalpers, regardless of the ticketing system.

Yeah the initial Burning Man "sell out panic" was pretty freaking funny last year!

Thats nuts that interest in Shambhala has grown that fast in a single. Though, 30 tickets to a single individual is pretty interesting, to say the least.
I'd be interested in contacting the person and seeing what they plan to do with the 30 tickets.
illy dilly

Postby kfun » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

In what would be my sixth burn I feel that I was at a point to contribute something big to the playa. I have run a theme camp and payed my dues but I have never brought a major installation. I have been talk with potential team members but now I see no point. They finally fucked it up too bad. Every burn I think it's amazing this can happen. I have had my issues with certain elements of its evolution but this one is a giant killer. HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS. Did you call you few pals in SF and tell them they would be cool? I mean seriously ---tickets sold out in August if you planning something big you have already got your tickets. If people missed out last year it's because they didn't buy them in time tough shit but to make it a lottery for all punishes those who want to contribute the most for to the event. Make the tickets non-transferable duh!!!

now let me say it a couple more times for impact:
HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS.
HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS.
HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS
.HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS.

If I'm missing something here let me know.
kfun

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:25 pm

kfun wrote:In what would be my sixth burn I feel that I was at a point to contribute something big to the playa. I have run a theme camp and payed my dues but I have never brought a major installation. I have been talk with potential team members but now I see no point. They finally fucked it up too bad. Every burn I think it's amazing this can happen. I have had my issues with certain elements of its evolution but this one is a giant killer. HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS. Did you call you few pals in SF and tell them they would be cool? I mean seriously ---tickets sold out in August if you planning something big you have already got your tickets. If people missed out last year it's because they didn't buy them in time tough shit but to make it a lottery for all punishes those who want to contribute the most for to the event. Make the tickets non-transferable duh!!!

now let me say it a couple more times for impact:
HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS
.HOW THE FUCK CAN I PLAN MAJOR ART WORK WITH OUT A TICKET FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? STUPID FUCKING IDIOTS.

If I'm missing something here let me know.

Uh, Welcome to ePlaya!!

Yes, you are missing any sort of details on exactly how the 2012 ticket sale is going to work (as we all are).

You seem to be doing a good job at panicking! I know it is frustrating, and stressful. Here is hoping we get the scoop earlier rather than later.

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 pm

More important question: How do you function in life being such a short sighted drama queen?
junglesmacks

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion