Building & Bringing Art - Could the lottery encourage this?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Building & Bringing Art - Could the lottery encourage this?

Postby chassy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Contributing art (and theme camps, art cars etc) to everyone's experience is a core part of BM's philosophy, as well as my own. As attendance event has exploded, the ratio of bringers to non-bringers has been dropping, particularly on burn weekend. The lottery has some intriguing implications for how this sort of participation is handled, depending on how it's finally implemented...

*If contributors-of-things get guaranteed tickets, will it encourage a new renaissance of art, theme camps, art cars, performance etc? This actually excites me! I could see it encouraging a lot more individuals to step up with smaller scale contributions. Many of my favorite things on the playa have come from first-time contributors.

*If there are special tickets for contributors-of-things, what criteria would be used for determining that something is appropriate, AND delivered? There's currently some assessment of this for art funding, art car licensing and theme camp placement. But the projects who go through this process are only a fraction of the great stuff that ends up on the playa. For example, I think there are only about ~30 funded installations every year, but about 10x more that are placed on the playa. To complicate this point, consider that this sort of ticket could mean that someone willing to sink $5k into an art installation could get guaranteed entry (or is this a case of contributing that $5k to everyone at the event?)

*How can the lottery timing support the long-range planning required by larger projects? I start in January, but would hate to get started and then find that I haven't been able to win a ticket.

- Chassy

As an aside, Glastonbury has been used as an example of a very successful event lottery. It sounds fair and well done, but the fundamental difference is that Glastonbury is not a created by those who attend.
chassy

Re: Building & Bringing Art - Could the lottery encourage th

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:27 pm

List of people who should be granted guaranteed entry...

1) People who've been before...
2) Artists...
3) Theme Campers
4) DJs?

Why is anyone guaranteed anything?
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:30 pm

To answer the question posed in your subject line - the details of the program aren't known, it's far too early to tell.

chassy wrote:the ratio of bringers to non-bringers has been dropping, particularly on burn weekend

Just pulling that one out of your ass, or do you have any kind of statistic?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby chassy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

trilobyte wrote:
chassy wrote:the ratio of bringers to non-bringers has been dropping, particularly on burn weekend

No hard numbers, just the changing vibe and experience of being on the playa for 10 years. Overall, here are why I think that
  • There has been a growth in number & scale of contributions, but I don't think it's scaled proportionately.
  • Weekenders (fri/sat/sun) always seem to be there for the party (with small exceptions for those who wanted to attend the full week, but couldn't swing it.)
  • I've always associated the number of non-bringers with the amount of MOOP & streetclothes I see. Both seem to be going up.
  • The griping of all the burners I hang out with :P

But regardless of the changing ratios, I think that access to guaranteed tickets would be a great way to encourge *more* participation.
chassy

Postby gibson_ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

The *worst* part of this lottery thing has been the emergence of the "holy" (burnier than thou) crowd who believes that *they* should be exempt from it.

C'mon, guys. You're not special, and neither am I. I think we all deserve a fair shot at going.
gibson_

Postby chassy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:09 pm

trilobyte wrote:To answer the question posed in your subject line - the details of the program aren't known, it's far too early to tell.

Yup, I'm very curious to see what happens. I'm posting my $0.02 here since I assume there's still a lot of healthy debate going on about how to structure the lottery.

trilobyte wrote:

No hard numbers, just the changing vibe and experience of being on the playa for 10 years. Overall, here are why I think that
  • There has been a growth in number & scale of contributions, but I don't think it's scaled proportionately.
  • Weekenders (fri/sat/sun) always seem to be there for the party (with small exceptions for those who wanted to attend the full week, but couldn't swing it.)
  • I've always associated the number of non-bringers with the amount of MOOP & streetclothes I see. Both seem to be going up.
  • The griping of all the burners I hang out with :P

But regardless of the changing ratios, I think that access to guaranteed tickets would be a great way to encourge *more* participation.
chassy

Postby chassy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:20 pm

gibson_ wrote:The *worst* part of this lottery thing has been the emergence of the "holy" (burnier than thou) crowd who believes that *they* should be exempt from it.

C'mon, guys. You're not special, and neither am I. I think we all deserve a fair shot at going.

I *am* of the opinion that someone who works hard, contributes a lot and gets their sh*t together early is more deserving than someone who waits until the last minute for everything and contributes little. I've heard it said many times with little argument that Burning Man is a "Do-ocracy," and I think the lottery has the potential to either strengthen or weaken this aspect of the event.
chassy

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion