Limiting ticket sales to two tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Limiting ticket sales to two tickets

Postby swizzlestick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

I am not sure how many tickets are allowed to be purchased now. Can one name buy more than a few tickets or it is just one credit card transaction can buy several at a time? If it is the second method, then scalpers can easily buy a plethora of tickets.
To deter scalpers: How about having the system linked to one name for one transaction and only allowing that one name to buy two tickets?
swizzlestick

Re: Limiting ticket sales to two tickets

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby swizzlestick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:23 pm

>Each scalper in LA has like 100 "minions" that buy tickets for them (as there is usually a limit). The scalpers pay them a small profit and then re-sell the tickets at a huge profit.

Whoa, perhaps having non transferable tickets would be one solution to this but then how does one sell a ticket to a friend (I saw the post of one person having BM get the ticket back, money returned minus the nominal processing fee, and then resold) or even gift a ticket? Gifting a ticket is part of the Burning Man tradition and mores but nontransferable would do away with this.

Any ideas?
swizzlestick

Postby remi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Only sell tickets at the gate... Not.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:14 pm

swizzlestick wrote:Whoa, perhaps having non transferable tickets would be one solution to this

logistical nightmare
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm

How about waiting for more details?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elderberry » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 pm

swizzlestick wrote:I am not sure how many tickets are allowed to be purchased now. Can one name buy more than a few tickets or it is just one credit card transaction can buy several at a time? If it is the second method, then scalpers can easily buy a plethora of tickets.
To deter scalpers: How about having the system linked to one name for one transaction and only allowing that one name to buy two tickets?

Two. :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby vargaso » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:50 pm

trilobyte wrote:How about waiting for more details?

How about the BMORG doesn't trickle out information until they're ready to present the entire plan to the community? They (and you) must realize all this sturm und drang is inevitable with access to only partial information. BMORG must be taking their PR lessons straight from Reed Hastings.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If no announcement was made until all info was put together including a speculative FAQ (rather than a real one based on questions raised), people would be complaining about not having gotten more of a heads-up.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vargaso » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:01 pm

If the BMORG was interested in fielding questions with the intention of listening to and basing policy changes on them, then why not present it in the form of, "here are a few options, what do y'all think is the best one and why?" Instead, we now know they've decided on a lottery system, they even have most of the major structural details worked out, what's left to provide input on? And then we get this disingenuous crap about making it more convenient for us. Bears a striking resemblance to the Netflix PR debacle of a couple months ago.

People are pissed because the LOVE this event and contribute a lot to it. In fact, the people ARE this event, making it unique among any other festival I can think of. Of course, there has to be a leadership team guiding it, but major changes like the way tickets are purchased should, in my opinion, be put to the community first before making any big decisions.
vargaso

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Relations between the participants and the llc are always Sturm und Drang. There are things that the llc does to contribute to that, I rant at them in the privacy of my own home sometimes, but sometimes I find that the expectations of the participants contribute to the whole drama of it all.

YMMV

Added: I don't think there really is a good way to put it to the community.
~shrug~
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If no announcement was made until all info was put together including a speculative FAQ (rather than a real one based on questions raised), people would be complaining about not having gotten more of a heads-up.

True. There were multiple complaints here on ePlaya that Jack Rabbit Speaks did not mention the imminent ticket sellout "enough"--even though a warning was included on the website and on in the newsletter multiple times.

I'm picturing what would happen if there were one JRS announcement and one website announcement before the two-week registration period. People would be even more upset than they are now. :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby vargaso » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Relations between the participants and the llc are always Sturm und Drang. There are things that the llc does to contribute to that, I rant at them in the privacy of my own home sometimes, but sometimes I find that the expectations of the participants contribute to the whole drama of it all.

YMMV

Added: I don't think there really is a good way to put it to the community.
~shrug~

Oh they are putting it to the community, alright. Ha. OK, I'm done with my freakout. Not sure why mods express surprise and condemnation of such freakouts, I mean what are message boards for? Anyhoo, see ya on the playa. :)
vargaso

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:30 pm

vargaso wrote:Not sure why mods express surprise and condemnation of such freakouts, I mean what are message boards for? Anyhoo, see ya on the playa. :)

I can't speak for any of the other Mods (we are not, in fact, a hive mind), but I have absolutely no surprise at the freakouts whatsoever. If there is one thing the Community *clink* does really really well, it's freaking out at anything that changes. I think we're more trying to remind people that almost everything that's being freaked out about is based on lack of information, not reality.

I also don't read what any of us are saying as "condemning" freak-outs as much as trying to remind people that they are freaking out on Rumor, Hearsay and Speculation: no-one outside the LLC actually knows how this is going to work. It's kind of like the night-sweats some people get before an operation because they just might die! even though they probably won't. Makes you anxious, serves no real purpose other than that.

*shrug*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm not a mod.

There is something about reading the same complaint over and over that just says "excessive" to me. I keep forgetting that Burningman is a festival of excess in every direction. Sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't know, it makes sense to complain about a system we have not details on and have never used...

Gee, this system that was proposed by the op would exclude me from buying tickets for myself and my two sons. limiting to two tickets is silly, four is better.

No, showing photo id with your ticket at the gate if the tickets were non-transferable would also not be a good plan. Just imagine the time through gate doubling (and probably 1/2 the burners having to go back to San Francisco to get there ID). Although that would be interesting to watch.

No, I do not know how the lottery ticket sales will work. Yes, I did get a knot in my stomach when I first read about it. Then I started to read all of the panicky posts, proposals and suggestions and discovered the humour in the situation.

Chances are: Burning Man will happen, Most people who want tickets will get them, some people will fail to get the memo and wont get one. Maybe there will be a higher population cap and the tickets wont sell out. In any event, the next few weeks shall be entertaining while we wait.

Oh, Next year's panic was better than last years!

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Canoe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 pm

trilobyte wrote:How about waiting for more details?

Too radical... :)
... apparently.

Too much of an emotional roll to wait. Only we have to.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion