WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL.... ?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL.... ?

Postby Holdz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:35 am

Glastonbury, the biggest festival in the UK has spent years looking for the best wat to make sure tickets go to festival goers not touts (scalpers) - why not do what they do??? It's not perfect but its the best & fairest method they've come up with & a million times better than a lottery for all of the reason everyone has posted!

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/i ... on/tickets

(there's 4 of us in my group coming over from UK & now instead of one of us buying 4 tickets we've all got to apply so potentially we'll end up 16 tickets instead of 4 - brilliant system eh.....NOT!! If everyone else is gonna do that, which I suspect they will, there's gonna be an awful lot of spare tickets for sale...!!)
Holdz

Re: WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL.... ?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 am

Holdz wrote:9there's 4 of us in my group coming over from UK & now instead of one of us buying 4 tickets we've all got to apply so potentially we'll end up 16 tickets instead of 4 - brilliant system eh.....NOT!! If everyone else is gonna do that, which I suspect they will, there's gonna be an awful lot of spare tickets for sale...!!)

No.

You will win 1 ticket per ticket request. Approving your tickets to be purchased in multiple tiers does not mean that you will be purchasing multiple tiers for that one ticket request. You request 4 tickets, you will get 4 tickets. The only question is which tier you will win.

Don't freak out. It's really ok. Have another glass of kool-aid while you wait...
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Holdz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:13 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Holdz wrote:9there's 4 of us in my group coming over from UK & now instead of one of us buying 4 tickets we've all got to apply so potentially we'll end up 16 tickets instead of 4 - brilliant system eh.....NOT!! If everyone else is gonna do that, which I suspect they will, there's gonna be an awful lot of spare tickets for sale...!!)

No.

You will win 1 ticket per ticket request. Approving your tickets to be purchased in multiple tiers does not mean that you will be purchasing multiple tiers for that one ticket request. You request 4 tickets, you will get 4 tickets. The only question is which tier you will win.

Don't freak out. It's really ok. Have another glass of kool-aid while you wait...

So does that mean that you can't purchase multiple tickets, eg max allocation is one per person?
Holdz

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 am

The old wheel sucked.

This new wheel spits flame, and plays dubstep.

And it VIBRATES!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:

No.

What he is saying is what I was saying in the first thread.

Not 4 people each requesting a lottery chance for 1 ticket. 4 people submitting a lottery registration for 4 tickets each, assuming that as per usual, 4 ticket max at the 2nd and higher tiers.

The group of 4 is hedging their bets against the uncertainty of the lottery system to maximize their odds of securing 4 tickets for their group by submitting 4 different lotto entries for 4 tickets.

If all 4 of them win, they now have 16 tickets between them, resulting in 12 tickets being pulled from the available ticketing pool.

I already have co-conspirators with unique addresses lined up to do the same thing myself depending on what the stay tuned for more information brings us.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am

Why not just cap ticket sales at 7,000,000,000? Simple.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Why not just cap ticket sales at 7,000,000,000? Simple.

That would probably violate some kind of permit thing.
CapSmashy

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 am

CapSmashy wrote:I already have co-conspirators with unique addresses lined up to do the same thing myself depending on what the stay tuned for more information brings us.

:roll:
junglesmacks

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am

junglesmacks wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:I already have co-conspirators with unique addresses lined up to do the same thing myself depending on what the stay tuned for more information brings us.

Are you rolling your eyes at me?
CapSmashy

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:57 am

CapSmashy wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

Are you rolling your eyes at me?

Why yes, yes I am.

I'm rolling my eyes at the concept of buying more tickets that you need just so you can "assure that you get a ticket". Bullshit. You're hedging your chances that you pay less. You know as well as I do that if you prepare early, you will get a ticket. All you're doing by trying to cheat the system is cheat everyone else.

So yes.. I'm rolling my eyes at you. There isn't an emoticon for what I'd like to display to you. :D
junglesmacks

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Why yes, yes I am.

You take that back or I'm telling!

I'm rolling my eyes at the concept of buying more tickets that you need just so you can "assure that you get a ticket". Bullshit. You're hedging your chances that you pay less. You know as well as I do that if you prepare early, you will get a ticket. All you're doing by trying to cheat the system is cheat everyone else.

No, I'm creating a statistical advantage in the system they *may* have designed to justify the many thousands dollars worth of crap I have amassed over the years to bring a kick ass theme camp and village to the city for the masses to play in.

So yes.. I'm rolling my eyes at you. There isn't an emoticon for what I'd like to display to you. :D

Oh yeah? Well there is always hotlinking from photo bucket.

CapSmashy

Postby portaplaya » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Holdz wrote:Glastonbury, the biggest festival in the UK has spent years looking for the best wat to make sure tickets go to festival goers not touts (scalpers) - why not do what they do??? It's not perfect but its the best & fairest method they've come up with & a million times better than a lottery for all of the reason everyone has posted!

Even if they transitioned into that system, they would have to determine who the first 50,000 registered buyers could be. And once they are all registered, there is still the process of fairly determining who gets a ticket and who doesn't.

The biggest problem is not ticket touts. Yes, that is a factor, but not the biggest one. Last year 27,000 tickets (more than half) where sold in the first 24hrs. This year, if they had no new system, the event would likely be sold out in that time anyway. This already happens for Flipside, the Austin regional, by the way.

The lottery is a system to make sure that the first day buyers are distributed by some fair system. That fact that they seem to want to spread that lottery out into a few session isn't that much of a twist on this. Those sessions might be once per week or once per month; we just don't know yet.
portaplaya

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 pm

At upwards of $350 per ticket, hedging one's bets times 4 gets expensive (since you're committing to make the purchase when registering). It may also be an unnecessary step, depending on what the details are.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm taking a couple days off of the perpetual motion project to allow my thinking to re-settle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion