Occupy BRC Ticket Solution

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Occupy BRC Ticket Solution

Postby dirtstu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Ok the ticket lotto idea sucks for a myriad of reasons...
There will always be ticket issues if the main reasons are ticket quantity availability and pricing!
Why not Occupy the BLM and demand an increase in the amount of people allowed to attend this event on OUR land! - This would avoid the limited ticket quantity problem.
Next costs average the price of tickets so EVERYONE pays the same amount. - This would eliminate the scalping incentive.
To address issues of those that cannot afford the cost…
Increase the low income program to include a redeemable voucher at the gate for those that need to reduce their ticket cost. The idea being those that need a reduce cost would initially apply for the low income voucher, when approved they purchase the ticket for the same amount that ALL pay for a ticket…once they actually go thru the gate the voucher is redeemed and an dollar amount is sent back to that ticket holder via U.S. mail. Yes the low income recipient would initially have to full price but latter is offset.
After a set cutoff date for ticket sales (like first of August) make “at the gate” tickets available for $200 over the fixed ticket price. The increased revenue can offset overhead and extra revenue can be applied toward the next years fixed ticket price structure.
Let’s face it… the argument that the feds and BM org do not have the resources to administer increased population is bs. Yes the road infrastructure is already overburdened but, the rest of the players like the BLM,Highway patrol and other agencies are poorly mismanaged.
So next year why don’t we try the Occupy approach…let’s Occupy Black Rock City and not leave under protest that we demand a no limit to the event population. Hey it’s a start.
Peace
Harry Nutz
Camp Spank of America
dirtstu

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spank of America

Re: Occupy BRC Ticket Solution

Postby bradtem » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 pm

The BMOrg is trying to push the limit to 70,000. This itself has caused controversy in the community, many of who feel that 50,000 is too much for a variety of reasons. The BLM doesn't care how the population affects the city vibe, but does care about the environmental impact, which does increase with the population, and various factors care about the capacity of the roads to the playa and the gate, which are already strained. (In fact, to go to 70,000 and still try to drain the playa in 2 days I suspect it will take some fairly radical solutions.)

On the other hand the many solutions available when you try to cap the number of tickets: Markets and auctions, lotteries, first-come-first-served and sell-out, invitation required etc. -- all these have their problems and harsh your mellow. If you will have a city of only 50,000 do you want it to be the richest 50,000? The luckiet 50,000? The first to hit the web site? The chosen ones? Somebody will be radically excluded -- the question is who?
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby jkisha » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:48 pm

:roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Dirtstu, I'm sure you mean well. But if a person cannot afford the price of a ticket (so much for everybody paying the same average price) then they flat-out shouldn't go. Get a job (or another job), work harder, and we'll see you in 2013. I don't see where it's fair to me that I should have to subsidize somebody else's ticket simply because I planned ahead better. But maybe I'm missing your entire point, though I doubt it.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby dirtstu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Dirtstu, I'm sure you mean well. But if a person cannot afford the price of a ticket (so much for everybody paying the same average price) then they flat-out shouldn't go. Get a job (or another job), work harder, and we'll see you in 2013. I don't see where it's fair to me that I should have to subsidize somebody else's ticket simply because I planned ahead better. But maybe I'm missing your entire point, though I doubt it.

Are we not already subsidizing by using the tier level approach? Yes we are and still will be!

Sure a person that cannot afford to go should flat out not go but, one should not have to be available to play click at the second the tickets go on sale game to get a lower tier ticket. Nor should someone have to have a lotto plan. Nor should one have to devote so much "planning" to obtain a ticket,...period. The whole process (with all it's good intentions) was and is in need of a serious overhaul but, to take basically the same approach and add the lotto factor is nonsense.

I want to know how to plan ahead better too as to ensure myself and my camp mates are going to get a ticket at ANY price with the new improved lotto tier system ?
Harry Nutz
Camp Spank of America
dirtstu

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spank of America

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:48 pm

I say we get bradtem on the issue.. stat. He'll keep you occupied..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Quaneshia Honeycooch » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 pm

[quote]So next year why don’t we try the Occupy approach…let’s Occupy Black Rock City and not leave under protest that we demand a no limit to the event population. Hey it’s a start.
Peace[/quote]

Why don't you occupy my pants you unoriginal hippie fuck.
Quaneshia Honeycooch

Postby Isotopia » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Grrrrl.
Isotopia

Postby Sola Gangsta » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Dirtstu, I'm sure you mean well. But if a person cannot afford the price of a ticket (so much for everybody paying the same average price) then they flat-out shouldn't go. Get a job (or another job), work harder, and we'll see you in 2013. I don't see where it's fair to me that I should have to subsidize somebody else's ticket simply because I planned ahead better. But maybe I'm missing your entire point, though I doubt it.

Bbbuuuttt... 2012 is the end of the world remember! There will never be another burning man! Waaaaaaaa I waaaaaannnnnnna go before I die waaaaaaaaaaaa :cry: :cry: :cry:

:mrgreen:
1II1I11I
Sola Gangsta

Postby portaplaya » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:Bbbuuuttt... 2012 is the end of the world remember!

End of the world isn't until December 2012.
portaplaya

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:14 pm

You'd have to occupy BLM headquarters. There's no evidence yet that "occupying" anywhere has changed things.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Boy, at least occupying headquarters would put us near San Francisco city hall. I think they have a farmer's market twice a week, plus you can buy cheapish books at the library book store.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sola Gangsta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:04 pm

portaplaya wrote:
Sola Gangsta wrote:Bbbuuuttt... 2012 is the end of the world remember!

End of the world isn't until December 2012.

Hence no burn in 2013... :lol: Hate to be one of those really believing this charging up their credit cards only to find out that the bill will actually come due in Jan 2013.
1II1I11I
Sola Gangsta

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Boy, at least occupying headquarters would put us near San Francisco city hall. I think they have a farmer's market twice a week, plus you can buy cheapish books at the library book store.

BLM
1849 C Street NW, Rm. 5665 Washington DC 20240

or maybe this if you're feeling like it:
BLM Nevada State Office, 1340 Financial Blvd, Reno

They make the rules anyway.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Boy, at least occupying headquarters would put us near San Francisco city hall. I think they have a farmer's market twice a week, plus you can buy cheapish books at the library book store.

BLM
1849 C Street NW, Rm. 5665 Washington DC 20240

or maybe this if you're feeling like it:
BLM Nevada State Office, 1340 Financial Blvd, Reno

They make the rules anyway.

Winnemucca is the pertinent field office
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:39 pm

No One wants to Occupy Winnemucca...

no one.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 pm

That means there will be room for 49,992 irate burners.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Whathefucca?
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Flitz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 pm

It seems to me that Burners just want to Burn (and via JRS, that most likely means real veteran Burners) The news has shaken up a lot of Burners including me, who spends thousands and thousands of hours and dollars on prep for art/themecamp/outfits/gifts etc. This planning for me and many starts a year or more ahead. I have stopped my prep for 2012 until I hear further details, the consequence unfortunately is hindered participation - At this point, I am not confident I will be able to secure my cherrished ticket with this system.

The lottery system (as of yet) is not clear how it will address those of us who plan to give and participate (which requires more prep than bringing a ravenous cup and dawning a funny hat purchased in Reno on the way in). Lottery by nature is a system of luck. Few win, most lose. This system appears to only solve the technical issue of jammed servers on day one of ticket sales while discouraging planning and participation (ie, art cars, theme camps, gifting, etc) Solving the day one rush seems simple... increase server/etc capacity. Done! The scalper issue is solved with non-transferrable tickets. Yes, these add some additional efforts, but ensure those who are commited and plan ahead, the opportunity (of time) to create the incredible works of art and giving that MAKE Burning Man what it is. I certainly hope the new system, whatever it turns out to be, recognizes that although unprepared and non-participating burners are a part of our city, they shouldn't be encouraged and rewarded. Change is inevitable, but time and preparation are vital elements to the Burning Man experience.
Flitz

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Flitz wrote:I have stopped my prep for 2012 until I hear further details

*Snip*

those of us who plan to give and participate (which requires more prep than bringing a ravenous cup and dawning a funny hat purchased in Reno on the way in).

Flitz wrote:Few win, most lose.

Actually, it's probably most win, few lose. In ten years (presuming that this was perfectly even, and true random seldom is) you'd miss one, maybe two burns. Good time to recharge the batteries. Burners' brains get a little insular after a while.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby The CO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Occupy Wherever has marginal credibility, depending on the specific site. You are proposing to raise a ruckus over a vacation. A camping trip that you choose to go on.

Just think about that.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 pm

If there's an Occupy BRC, I'm going to need to collude with the police to cause some "incidents" to get rid of them. No Occupy squatter trash is going to ruin my burn.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Joshy Neurotic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 am

i seriously hope non of you actually plan on occupying black rock city. Camping outside center camp or bmir or whatnot....
and if you do, i hope i am there when the dpw or rangers are kicking your ass out. peace and love and all that hippy crap on the outside of the trash fence, with no water food or shelter ... burn hippies burn....
Joshy Neurotic

Postby Joshy Neurotic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am

save for a occupy camp... that would be funny if they went around protesting camps, forcing them to drink there booze and dancing.... i dont like dubstep trance or any of that hippy raver crap.... but it would be funny.
Joshy Neurotic

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:57 am

BBadger wrote:If there's an Occupy BRC, I'm going to need to collude with the police to cause some "incidents" to get rid of them. No Occupy squatter trash is going to ruin my burn.

Joshy Neurotic wrote:i seriously hope non of you actually plan on occupying black rock city. Camping outside center camp or bmir or whatnot....
and if you do, i hope i am there when the dpw or rangers are kicking your ass out. peace and love and all that hippy crap on the outside of the trash fence, with no water food or shelter ... burn hippies burn....

Some of us "hippies" have infiltrated the police and military... just so you know. You never know who you can trust or whether the command will be obeyed until it is too late. You may end up giving the command to shoot only to have the guns turned on you. Tsun Tzu.
1II1I11I
Sola Gangsta

Postby Joshy Neurotic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:13 am

i use the term hippies loosely. i support the occupy movement, but not in black rock. BMORG has the right to change the ticket processing. i dont particularly agree with it, I've only known the first come first serve method. which works for me, cause i know to get a ticket asap.
Joshy Neurotic

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 am

Joshy Neurotic wrote:i use the term hippies loosely. i support the occupy movement, but not in black rock. BMORG has the right to change the ticket processing. i dont particularly agree with it, I've only known the first come first serve method. which works for me, cause i know to get a ticket asap.

Well Occupy BRC would be like hippies occupying hippies. If they want to get some serious work done they should be a pain in the ass to establishment, not to some already anti-establishment burners.

If they do show up it will most likely be for arts sake, not because of any beef with the Org. BRC has always been an artists community reflecting in part the society at large. If I put up a sign at camp it will be to support the protesters out in defaultia.
1II1I11I
Sola Gangsta

Solution to the lottery problem

Postby vargaso » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Occupy Burning Man. I'll see if I can get Adbusters to sponsor us.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Solution to the lottery problem

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:34 pm

You ARE new here. And I thought you were a sock account.
Welcome!
Ugly Dougly

Re: Solution to the lottery problem

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 pm

93 posts since 2007 isn't new. It just isn't thick enough on the ground to be memorable.

At least he's giving adbusters credit.

I think this should be folded into another, random thread. Even with my help, it's only three posts.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion