Military Discount?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Military Discount?

Postby romicf » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Has anyone suggested a lower entry fee for active duty military personnel and Veterans? Maybe it would be nice to recognize the sacrifice that many have made for our country by offering tix at a slightly lower price. Its easy to produce an Honorable Discharge certificate to allow the veteran, or active duty person to prove his qualification.

Maybe even a substantial reduction for injured military.

Just an idea.
romicf

Re: Military Discount?

Postby The Raven » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 pm

don't you guys get enough discounts and freebees already from free education to free medical treatment and great pay....sorry I had to say it.
The Raven

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:16 pm

The Raven wrote:don't you guys get enough discounts and freebees already from free education to free medical treatment and great pay....sorry I had to say it.

We need all those discount.. It helps to pay for the special needs over the years (50 in my case) before the military sends a disability check..
unjonharley

Postby The Raven » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I know several vets from Iraq who went there, drank a lot screwed a lot, and had a wild time for the most part all while on the taxpayer dime. Then they come back to the US and have a heros welcome with jobs on a platter and free college educations. Sure there were a few who were not as lucky, but they were the exception and not the rule. It's not like the real wars like Vietnam, Korea and WW1+2 where sacrifice was truly made by all.

Due to asthma I was denied entry and became a LEO and Firefighter. Did I get any benefits for protecting post 9/11.....nope. All I got was denied employment because a vet had hiring preference and huge college loans.
The Raven

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 pm

The Raven wrote:

Due to asthma I was denied entry and became a LEO and Firefighter. Did I get any benefits for protecting post 9/11.....nope. All I got was denied employment because a vet had hiring preference and huge college loans.

Ya, I know how it feels to be told to go sit in the back of the bus..
unjonharley

Postby Laughing Forest » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Oh puh-leeeeze.
Laughing Forest

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Self-entitledment has no boundaries.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby maryanimal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:23 pm

The Raven wrote:don't you guys get enough discounts and freebees already from free education to free medical treatment and great pay....sorry I had to say it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Althought I don't agree with it, I do respect your opinion.

So it's obvious you weren't in the military. Tell me, what have you done for your country? have you lost body parts or suffered severe burns because you vehicle ran over an IED? Have you left your family for months/years to serve overseas because you followed your CO's orders?

I haven't done any of these things, however if I could have, I would have. When I see a Vet or active military personnel, I take their hand in mine and thank them for the prior and/or continuing service.

So if getting 20% off a restaurant tab, or a free education for giving of themselves for their country, or even a military discount to the burn, it's a small way to thank them for their time keeping us free and proud.

There's my $.02.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby sandgoddess » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

The Raven wrote:I know several vets from Iraq who went there, drank a lot screwed a lot, and had a wild time for the most part all while on the taxpayer dime. Then they come back to the US and have a heros welcome with jobs on a platter and free college educations. Sure there were a few who were not as lucky, but they were the exception and not the rule. It's not like the real wars like Vietnam, Korea and WW1+2 where sacrifice was truly made by all.

I highly doubt you were denied because of asthma. It had to be an IQ fail.
Everything's going to be ok. Maybe. Pass it on.

What do you mean we can't drive on the playa anymore??!!
Burning Man Apocalypse of '97
sandgoddess

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:28 pm

sandgoddess wrote:
The Raven wrote:I know several vets from Iraq who went there, drank a lot screwed a lot, and had a wild time for the most part all while on the taxpayer dime. Then they come back to the US and have a heros welcome with jobs on a platter and free college educations. Sure there were a few who were not as lucky, but they were the exception and not the rule. It's not like the real wars like Vietnam, Korea and WW1+2 where sacrifice was truly made by all.

I highly doubt you were denied because of asthma. It had to be an IQ fail.

Welcome to eplaya, sandgoddess. I hope you stick around :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Wow.
You don't sound like much of a team player. With that mindset I'm not sure you'd have done well at all in the military. Sentiments like yours are resented amongst soldiers.
You didn't get benefits for LEO / firefighter duty? Were you promised them as US military personnel are? Was it in your new hire paperwork or contract?
I was denied a $3000 signing bonus at the last minute before I shipped out to basic training. I had the right to cancel my enlistment contract. Did I? No. Why? Because I wasn't in it for the money or benefits. Period. I joined for the privelege to serve my country. Joining the military for money is a fool's move.
An old army song from my father's army days (1946-1950):
You're in the army now,
You're not behind a plow,
You'll never get rich you son of a bitch,
You're in the army now.

I've never used any benefits that I am entitled to from my service. No VA loans, no GI bill, no hiring points!
The one, and greatest, benefit that I received from my military service is that I met the woman who would become my unbelievably wonderful wife while on a firing range. THAT, my friend, is the greatest benefit of all. It is beyond price.

As to coming home to jobs on a platter and a lifetime of goodwill with money spilling out of their pockets being the rule? Bullshit.
Have you heard of Iraq / Afghanistan vets that are homeless and / or jobless. There are many, many, many. Infantry soldiers have limited civilain job opportunities with their lack of civilian applicable skills. I'm not knocking them, I was in a combat arms artillery unit. Not lots of opportunities for dropping steel from the sky to make ends meet in civvy life. Fortunately I have many skill sets.

And "not like real wars like Vietnam, Korea and WW1+2 where sacrifice was truly made by all"?
Is not the sacrifice of one's arms, legs, eyes, or psychological well being enough? Many male soldiers bank their sperm for the reason that losing their testicles to an IED is not uncommon. A wife, husband, mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, neice, nephew, or cousin losing their loved one to war is quite a sacrifice.

Every day 18 veterans commit suicide. Eighteen. That's one veteran every 80 minutes. In my state of Oregon, veteran suicides account for 27% of suicides annually.

Real wars? The fact that our service men AND WOMEN are being killed almost every day FOR TEN YEARS NOW should be reason enough to consider these current wars as real. When you see a vet walking on a prosthetic leg, he's been to war. When you hear of a vet in treatment for PTSD, they've been to war. When you see a vet cry for the loss of a buddy when they were on a mission together just hours ago, they've been to war. When you hear a child cry because their mommy is never coming home because she was killed by a suicide bomber when she was driving a truckload of supplies to the front, she's been to war. Real war. Fighting and killing and dying and screaming war. Real fucking war.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.
You are doing it wrong.

No Regrets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Please tell me you are either a veteran or currently on active or even reserve duty. Though somehow I know the answer to that question.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TinkerMom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Foxfur wrote:

Wow.
You don't sound like much of a team player. With that mindset I'm not sure you'd have done well at all in the military. Sentiments like yours are resented amongst soldiers.
You didn't get benefits for LEO / firefighter duty? Were you promised them as US military personnel are? Was it in your new hire paperwork or contract?
I was denied a $3000 signing bonus at the last minute before I shipped out to basic training. I had the right to cancel my enlistment contract. Did I? No. Why? Because I wasn't in it for the money or benefits. Period. I joined for the privelege to serve my country. Joining the military for money is a fool's move.
An old army song from my father's army days (1946-1950):
You're in the army now,
You're not behind a plow,
You'll never get rich you son of a bitch,
You're in the army now.

I've never used any benefits that I am entitled to from my service. No VA loans, no GI bill, no hiring points!
The one, and greatest, benefit that I received from my military service is that I met the woman who would become my unbelievably wonderful wife while on a firing range. THAT, my friend, is the greatest benefit of all. It is beyond price.

As to coming home to jobs on a platter and a lifetime of goodwill with money spilling out of their pockets being the rule? Bullshit.
Have you heard of Iraq / Afghanistan vets that are homeless and / or jobless. There are many, many, many. Infantry soldiers have limited civilain job opportunities with their lack of civilian applicable skills. I'm not knocking them, I was in a combat arms artillery unit. Not lots of opportunities for dropping steel from the sky to make ends meet in civvy life. Fortunately I have many skill sets.

And "not like real wars like Vietnam, Korea and WW1+2 where sacrifice was truly made by all"?
Is not the sacrifice of one's arms, legs, eyes, or psychological well being enough? Many male soldiers bank their sperm for the reason that losing their testicles to an IED is not uncommon. A wife, husband, mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, neice, nephew, or cousin losing their loved one to war is quite a sacrifice.

Every day 18 veterans commit suicide. Eighteen. That's one veteran every 80 minutes. In my state of Oregon, veteran suicides account for 27% of suicides annually.

Real wars? The fact that our service men AND WOMEN are being killed almost every day FOR TEN YEARS NOW should be reason enough to consider these current wars as real. When you see a vet walking on a prosthetic leg, he's been to war. When you hear of a vet in treatment for PTSD, they've been to war. When you see a vet cry for the loss of a buddy when they were on a mission together just hours ago, they've been to war. When you hear a child cry because their mommy is never coming home because she was killed by a suicide bomber when she was driving a truckload of supplies to the front, she's been to war. Real war. Fighting and killing and dying and screaming war. Real fucking war.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.
You are doing it wrong.

No Regrets.jpg

++++++1,000,000,000,000,000,000

I bounce for a bar twice a week. And when some piss ant comes in and tries to rile up my vets. I
put my hand out and say, "I got this, it's my turn."
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm

You know, in the days of the Viet Nam war, people had no choice...there was a draft. So lots of heros from that era could be referred to a reluctant heros. But at least the entire country had some skin in the game.

Today's army is all volunteer and represent less than one percent of the population. People are barely aware of the war, as they don't have to worry about fighting in it.

Today's vets deserve at least the same benefits as those that served in any war before, and you should be ashamed of yourself and your attitude in not supporting them.

Though you'd probably make a good friend for neon tetra.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Well said foxfur
JK
Elderberry

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:15 pm

jkisha wrote:Today's vets deserve at least the same benefits as those that served in any war before, and you should be ashamed of yourself and your attitude in not supporting them.

Many of these are ending up on the streets with no where to go..
unjonharley

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Free education? GI Bill yes, after you pay into it for your entire first year of service. It doesn't cover all costs. Some states give free tuition to vets but only if you serve in the National Guard.

Free medical? Yes, when you are in the service. After you get VA coverage for service related illness. You do get one check up a year, but benefits change and shrink annually. Personally I use it as a last resort, because there are thousands who need the benefit more than I do and I would not want to take from them. Medical benefits are also awarded to those who retire after serving 20 years. And those are also being cut back every year.

It's not like we go to summer camp and get all these freebees. They are earned. Military members sacrifice their free will to protect yours. Our Drill Sergeants use to say we are not here to practice democracy, just to protect it. We spend months, that add up to years away from our families, our friends, our loved ones. Those "guys" will always be my brothers and sisters in arms. Most gave much more than I ever had to. Show a little respect for people willing to sacrifice their soul by being willing to kill and die for you.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm

good post Foxy.

all wars are real, no matter when, or where. I did my time in the early 70's with the tricky dicky lottery. Managed a sidestep from swamp pounding, joined the U.S.Navy, went to Westpac, saw the jungles on the horizon. Still carry my old ID card.

Bennies? Oregon GI home loan(long paid off), and discounts at the shooting ranges....

OH, and learning how to deal with crappy situations and people you can't stand, but have to deal with and bunk with every day, no way out...
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 pm

And I suppose this is when all the hippies try and tell us how their experience with Rainbow Gathering and following the Dead equates to the dedication we show through our service. If this is you, first, you're welcome, and second, kiss my Veteran ass!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Actually, it is quite an accepted idea that the post-war prosperity and enlargement of the middle class came, in part, from the g.i. bill. Vets went to school, bought houses, and the downstream of that meant that a lot of other people got jobs in the service sector serving vets. Divided you will fall...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Actually, it is quite an accepted idea that the post-war prosperity and enlargement of the middle class came, in part, from the g.i. bill. Vets went to school, bought houses, and the downstream of that meant that a lot of other people got jobs in the service sector serving vets. Divided you will fall...

Yup.

You never cease to amaze me with your depth and breath of knowledge.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 pm

The military is a fairly dangerous occupation. In deaths per 100,000, it ranks nearly as high as forestry workers, fishermen, and airplane pilots. Agriculture is a dangerous bit too. I suspect the death rate agriculture is under reported due the the semi illicit immigration status of many of the workers. A simple online search will bear the death rate of the various occupations out. Protecting our interests and well being is an important part of the domain of the military. The other occupations' providing us with food and shelter in order for us to survive is important too. Maybe those in the many different dangerous occupations might be justified to request reduced prices and increased benefits in the world of commerce. Nobody gets overly emotional about things when a farm worker bites the dust on the job though. The other farm workers have to just shrug it off, not let it bother them too much, and avoid the funeral if it is held during working hours.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Packoderm wrote:The military is a fairly dangerous occupation. In deaths per 100,000, it ranks nearly as high as forestry workers, fishermen, and airplane pilots. Agriculture is a dangerous bit too. I suspect the death rate agriculture is under reported due the the semi illicit immigration status of many of the workers. A simple online search will bear the death rate of the various occupations out. Protecting our interests and well being is an important part of the domain of the military. The other occupations' providing us with food and shelter in order for us to survive is important too. Maybe those in the many different dangerous occupations might be justified to request reduced prices and increased benefits in the world of commerce. Nobody gets overly emotional about things when a farm worker bites the dust on the job though. The other farm workers have to just shrug it off, not let it bother them too much, and avoid the funeral if it is held during working hours.

Big difference between a patriot and a capitalist.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't know. It's about protection. Law enforcement protects us from criminal activity. Agriculture protects us from starvation. Construction workers protect us from the elements. And the military protects us from foreign invasion, terrorism, and oil shortages. I wouldn't care to place any of those above the other.
Packoderm

Postby Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Packoderm wrote:I don't know. It's about protection. Law enforcement protects us from criminal activity. Agriculture protects us from starvation. Construction workers protect us from the elements. And the military protects us from foreign invasion, terrorism, and oil shortages. I wouldn't care to place any of those above the other.

It's a good thing it's not your decision then, isn't it.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 pm

My decision to give them a discount? I'd say sure, give the military discount.
Last edited by Packoderm on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Packoderm

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Packoderm wrote:I don't know. It's about protection. Law enforcement protects us from criminal activity. Agriculture protects us from starvation. Construction workers protect us from the elements. And the military protects us from foreign invasion, terrorism, and oil shortages. I wouldn't care to place any of those above the other.

And some lotion company in Mexico protects my dick from getting sunburned during the Critical Dicks March.

Don't forget about that suntan lotion company,
they are obviously just as important as the military for my personal protection. :roll:
Last edited by oneeyeddick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 pm

My decision to place one above the other? I don't think anybody has that decision.
Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:

And some lotion company in Mexico protects my dick from getting sunburned during the Critical Dicks March.

Don't forget about that suntan lotion company,
they are obviously just as important as the military for my personal protection. :roll:

Um, no. We will starve without agriculture. We would survive if we have to wear clothing instead of going in the nude. And anyway, sunscreen production is not on the list of dangerous occupations.
Packoderm

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Construction and agricultural workers wear sunscreen also, and it is sad watching anyone dig a deeper hole without suntan lotion.
oneeyeddick

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion