Which Tier are you gonna pick for the lottery?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Which Tier are you gonna pick for the lottery?

Postby illy dilly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 am

oneeyeddick wrote:If it doesn't change I for one will be enabling my mother and grandmother's name(and the in-law versions of these) for extra bidding spots across multiple tiers and whatever extra tickets I get will be for hooking up those that I know that didn't get lucky at all, at face price+S&H of course.

If I have more friends looking for tickets than I have extra tickets, well...I will just have to hold my own damned lottery.

This is kinda where I'm at. In the last couple years me, smAshly, and my sister have each bought 2 tickets. Then sold the tickets to our friends at face value when they get the money together.

BUT! If we try this this year, and everyone we know is entered into the lottery, what if we end up with a shit load of tickets! Not a problem if tickets are transferable, but what if they're not? We could end up with a shit load of extra tickets?
I'm trying to ponder a way for eplayans to join together to increase our odds of ensuring WE ALL get to the Meet'n'Greet, but that each of us does not end up with a few extra tickets.

Knowing eplayans the way I do, I know that we will be the most prepared, we will be the most informed, and the quickest to react to ticket sales.
For this reason, I feel we should join together to ensure that we all get tickets. And somehow with out entering in a bunch of extra drawings.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am

Tickets will remain transferable.

And we have another milestone in the ticket freak-out, taking the half-baked ideas and reinvesting them as actual possibilities.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:taking the half-baked ideas and reinvesting them as actual possibilities.

Its what I do best!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Yeah,a grouping or network of those that want help each other out with extra tickets they "won" might be a good idea, if any of the invented ideas of how this lottery will work actually ends up being correct.

but, this brings up another question....
Can you/your mom's name pull out of the lottery if you got some of your friends extras already(or if you got too many in the first round)?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby illy dilly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:but, this brings up another question....
Can you/your mom's name pull out of the lottery if you got some of your friends extras already(or if you got too many in the first round)?

I was wondering this same thing. Or what happens if between registration and drawings, something catastrophic happens and you have to spend the 300ish dollars you had sitting aside for the ticket?
We just godda wait for the official "rule of the drawing" before we can starting guessing and working towards how to best insure that each of us and our camps get a ticket.

And shit, if the misses and I don't get a ticket, we'll go to Mexico for a week. Sit on our asses and drink margaritas.
illy dilly

Postby remi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Why not just go and get free tickets? Wait until someone in your area trys to scalp tickets for a stupid price, agree to meet them with cash in hand and beat your free ticket out of them. You get your ticket for the right price, and your doing a service to the BM community by anti-promoting scalping.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Remi is the coolest doberman I have ever seen.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby remi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Remi is the coolest doberman I have ever seen.

Why thank you. That's my boy Samson.. and apart from looking scary and tough, he's actually the biggest suck.
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:16 pm

You've got to be able to not buy when your name comes up. After all, you could die between the time you enter and the time you win. Then your ticket would go to waste. Not to mention your atomic fireball.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

remi wrote:Why not just go and get free tickets? Wait until someone in your area trys to scalp tickets for a stupid price, agree to meet them with cash in hand and beat your free ticket out of them. You get your ticket for the right price, and your doing a service to the BM community by anti-promoting scalping.

Now thats a great idea!
Or for less than $260 dollars you can "employ" someone that specializes in this sort of persuasion to do the beating for you!
illy dilly

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Radical contusions!
Nipple

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Nipple wrote:Radical contusions!

HA! I actually read this as "radical conclusions".. which.. added to last years 11th principle of "radical entitlement".. may just be apt for this year!

The 12 principals live!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby unjonharley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm

illy dilly wrote:
remi wrote:Why not just go and get free tickets? Wait until someone in your area trys to scalp tickets for a stupid price, agree to meet them with cash in hand and beat your free ticket out of them. You get your ticket for the right price, and your doing a service to the BM community by anti-promoting scalping.

Now thats a great idea!
Or for less than $260 dollars you can "employ" someone that specializes in this sort of persuasion to do the beating for you!

How many tic's do you want?
unjonharley

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:34 pm

At least 2, maybe 3.
illy dilly

Postby tamarakay » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm

unjonharley wrote:
illy dilly wrote:

Now thats a great idea!

How many tic's do you want?

Two, but so far I need 5 to ensure my camp. 6 would make it perfect. Go get em unjon :twisted:
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 pm

I am going to the scholarship still. Not sure what my finances will look like in Aug. So Have to save as much as I can with my shitty job. Just now got caught up on all bills but my cyropractor one. They said there will be more of those tickets this year so I am hoping I am blessed to get one.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Good luck Danielle. But the odds are about as good as Jkisha saying something nice about overweight women. Why else have a lottery?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Good luck Danielle. But the odds are about as good as Jkisha saying something nice about overweight women. Why else have a lottery?

HA HA HA!!

If you think about it the Scholarship ticket has always been kinda a lottery. If you are chosen from your paperwork then you are good. If not you suck it up suck a penis and then buy a spendy ticket lol
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:01 am

I can't imagine it would be structured in such a way as to encourage people to game the system with multiple entries (ie getting multiple ppl to sign up, then opting out after the draw because another registration panned out). additionally, doing something like that would only drag things out (with an additional round of communication/confirmation. We'll see though.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mgb327 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:15 am

Well, I have given the "which tier" question way too much pondering. I am not a gambler, nor ever have been. I don't know how a gambler thinks, so my conclusions are coming from my own concepts. Seems that one must try out outsmart the other gamblers at the table to win. So, question of the tier, I think, is the most important. How are the other people at the poker table thinking? Go for the high price, thinking most won't be able to afford that one? Go for the lower price, as it seems everyone else will be thinking the same and go for the higher? Fuggit! I will happily pay the top price for a ticket, and then leave the table. I don't think I like this "learn how to outsmart/gamble" thing.
I am a full-time antique dealer. I have attended an average of 3 antique auctions for over 24 years now, year round. When I get up at 6AM on a Saturday, it is rain/snowing, 31 degrees, wind at 30+, and the sale is up in the mountains, outdoors, I am CERTAIN if I go, I will be the the one in a very few that made the effort. Prices are certain to be nice and low if there are ony a few of us. When I finally get up there, through truly shitty weather, there is a record setting attendance, as EVERYONE else thought the very same thing I did, and went.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 am

How about.. *gasp*.. approve all tiers?

It's so crazy that it just.. might.. work..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mgb327 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 am

You know...that...just...might...work!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby remi » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 am

trilobyte wrote:I can't imagine it would be structured in such a way as to encourage people to game the system with multiple entries (ie getting multiple ppl to sign up, then opting out after the draw because another registration panned out). additionally, doing something like that would only drag things out (with an additional round of communication/confirmation. We'll see though.

Many of the people I have spoken to are planning on doing this. They'll sign up for a tier, there parents sign up for another, brothers each register in different tiers just to guarentee he'll get at least 2. Then he said he was going to scalp the extra's for a high price to see if he can some good $$. I did not support his actions, but I can see where he would feel a little more confident with 4x85% chance of getting at least 2 tickets. At first, I was totally on board for doing this too.. but I had time to relax, and after the dust settles (and that FAQ comes out,) I'm sure I'll be able to get tickets as long as I register right away.
remi

Postby Nipple » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 am

Shop as usual, and avoid panic buying.
Nipple

Postby illy dilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 am

Nipple wrote:Shop as usual, and avoid panic buying.

Right!
Panic and impulse buying are for Black Friday!
illy dilly

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:24 pm

In 11 years I have only once bought the cheapest ticket and once put in for scholarship ticket (and got it). I generally go third tier. This year will be tighter but as one of my camp mates regularly says 'the ticket is the least of your BM expenses'. No kidding, the two of us spent over $3k building the pink elephant last year. We probably bought at least $500 in alcohol. So what is a $360 ticket compared to those expenses. Probably less than 10% of our total layout.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Well then, $420 for the Christmas tickets shouldn't be too much of a stretch then, even though it might bump you well into the 11% range.

I can't think of a year in the last 12 where I have spent less than $4000, so it's a no brainer here too.
oneeyeddick

Postby Foxfur » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:56 am

illy dilly wrote:
Nipple wrote:Shop as usual, and avoid panic buying.

Right!
Panic and impulse buying are for Black Friday!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Shopping-Carts-Jamming-Black-Friday/247164898672243
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 pm

So I guess tomorrow is when you enter for Presale/Christmas/Gift tickets.

I should be feeling more anxiety than this right now.
oneeyeddick

Postby geospyder » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:35 pm

There are seven of us in our small camp. Myself and my brother-in-law from the Netherlands are going for tier 3. Three others are only going for tier 1. The other two haven't decided yet. Depending on the drawing, our small camp may even be smaller :(
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion