Which Tier are you gonna pick for the lottery?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Which Tier are you gonna pick for the lottery?

Postby Foxfur » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Agreed. Price is no object. If the price went up to $500, I'd go sling an extra 40 handjobs at the Greyhound terminal.
Just sayin'...

I'll be putting in at the highest price tier. The extra $ will hopefully flow into art grants. Craploads of them. I want next year to be better than this year in terms of art.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Savannah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Foxfur wrote:Agreed. Price is no object. If the price went up to $500, I'd go sling an extra 40 handjobs at the Greyhound terminal.
Just sayin'...

I had no idea your rates were so reasonable. Do you ship internationally? :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Savannah wrote:
DanBrown wrote:The price of the ticket doesn't matter, because there is nothing better that you can spend money on.

If your money could talk, it would say it wants to be spent on a burning man ticket.

Seriously, I can hear my money yelling at me from the next room, and it's all like "BURRRRRRRRRRNING MAN, whoop! whoop!" and then it makes some dubstep noises and says something about needing "another pink wig, longer this time", and that's when I have to close the door between us, 'cause I think my money's drunk again.

Is that what you're calling me these days?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:19 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Savannah wrote:
DanBrown wrote:The price of the ticket doesn't matter, because there is nothing better that you can spend money on.

If your money could talk, it would say it wants to be spent on a burning man ticket.

Seriously, I can hear my money yelling at me from the next room, and it's all like "BURRRRRRRRRRNING MAN, whoop! whoop!" and then it makes some dubstep noises and says something about needing "another pink wig, longer this time", and that's when I have to close the door between us, 'cause I think my money's drunk again.

Is that what you're calling me these days?

Baby, look at me, look at me. You're money, and you know what else? You're a big winner tonight.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Just_Joe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Savannah wrote:Baby, look at me, look at me. You're money, and you know what else? You're a big winner tonight.

There's nothing wrong with letting the girls know that you're money and that you want to party.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:20 pm

ygmir wrote:I thought, you put in the highest you would go, and, were also automatically entered into the lower tiers....or did I, again, not understand?
Like, you say you'll go up to tier 3. But, you're name also goes in on 1 and 2, and you pay the level you're chosen at?

Well that's pretty much how I read it too.

So, anyone really wants to go, and be sure they get a ticket, will bid the amount of the highest price ticket to be sold. Then they randomly draw names for all the first tier thickest, then the second tier, etc. if you only bid the price of the second tier, and your name isn't drawn, you will not be involved in the drawings for the higher priced tickets.

Geez, the more I think about it, the more I don't like it. Maybe it's just because I'm old and don't like change, or maybe it's just that it's a fucking bad idea.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Savannah wrote:
Foxfur wrote:Agreed. Price is no object. If the price went up to $500, I'd go sling an extra 40 handjobs at the Greyhound terminal.
Just sayin'...

I had no idea your rates were so reasonable. Do you ship internationally? :shock:

if you decide to order, Sav, would you mind getting two, and bringing one to me?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm

jkisha wrote:

So, anyone really wants to go, and be sure they get a ticket, will bid the amount of the highest price ticket to be sold. Then they randomly draw names for all the first tier thickest, then the second tier, etc. if you only bid the price of the second tier, and your name isn't drawn, you will not be involved in the drawings for the higher priced tickets.

Geez, the more I think about it, the more I don't like it. Maybe it's just because I'm old and don't like change, or maybe it's just that it's a fucking bad idea.

If it worked that way there would be no use for lower tier..
You name/number go's into the price tier that you bid..
They spin the wheel for that tier..
Your number comes up..
Your credit card is billed..
You get a confirmation that a ticket is in the mail..
Mid summer your ticket arrives..
unjonharley

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 pm

JK, the way I read it, you will only be in the pool for that tier: separate lotteries for each ticket tier.

Also, you only get to enter into one lottery drawing, not multiple: Buyers can only purchase tickets from one lottery.
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Unless they use a different cc for each tier.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:40 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Unless they use a different cc for each tier.

Well, yea, I think that's where many of us would resort to........ Ummmm, by why?
TITWI

thisisthatwhichis

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:JK, the way I read it, you will only be in the pool for that tier: separate lotteries for each ticket tier.

Also, you only get to enter into one lottery drawing, not multiple: Buyers can only purchase tickets from one lottery.

well, yeah, but, I can see it that, your name is in the pool, up to a certain tier.
so, it's floating around, and does not get drawn in the first draw.
so, i'ts still floating in the pool, when the second (separate) draw happens,
if not drawn then, keeps floating.
if it gets drawn, "thats it" and you can't buy any more tickets, no matter the tier/lottery.
Or, if you don't get drawn, and the limit you set is reached.......you are out of the pool and given a towel.

Of course, I'm a twisted thinker.....
So, at first everyone who puts in, is in the pool. But, as tiers vanish, those putting a limit on, get dropped out.
At the top tier, if you've "OKed" that, you're still there, hoping to get drawn, but, folks who didn't get drawn and limited tier tier, are dropped already.

"last drawn, pays the highest price" .......not necessarily fair, but, I could see it that way.

I'm not sayin I'm right, but, it's how I read it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm

So they get their tickets at the cheapest tier possible, then have tickets in hand for friends and campmates.

I'll probibly put in for the lowest tier and if it does'nt work, just buy someones spare intead of jumping through hoops. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm thinking have a nice swim in the pool of dreams, YG..... The tier you enter is the lottery you fish for.......
TITWI

thisisthatwhichis

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I'm thinking have a nice swim in the pool of dreams, YG..... The tier you enter is the lottery you fish for.......

Zactly!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:53 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I'm thinking have a nice swim in the pool of dreams, YG..... The tier you enter is the lottery you fish for.......

yeah, you're probably right.........I suppose, I'm just looking for some sort of pewter lining...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:55 pm

FIGJAM wrote:So they get their tickets at the cheapest tier possible, then have tickets in hand for friends and campmates.

I'll probibly put in for the lowest tier and if it does'nt work, just buy someones spare intead of jumping through hoops. 8)

I get a ticket and will put it on sale for a grand. If some fool buys it, I go to Mich. to see my sister..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:56 pm

jkisha wrote:So, anyone really wants to go, and be sure they get a ticket, will bid the amount of the highest price ticket to be sold. Then they randomly draw names for all the first tier thickest, then the second tier, etc. if you only bid the price of the second tier, and your name isn't drawn, you will not be involved in the drawings for the higher priced tickets.

I think you have to have the higher tiers drawn first. That way there's some chance that you will lose the upper tier and get a shot at the lower tiers, but you don't have too many people who can afford bigger tiers in the smaller ones, and unjohn gets a better chance.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Fuck unjohns chance!!!

I say we buy him a ticket as he did'nt get to go last year and I want the chance to run screaming from his "Cane of Distruction"!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:08 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Fuck unjohns chance!!!

I say we buy him a ticket as he did'nt get to go last year and I want the chance to run screaming from his "Cane of Distruction"!

No sweat... We will all be there eating dust in 290 some days.. My reconstructed ass has healed sweetly.. So I will be peddling it about Black Rock City rocking out to 50's tunes..
unjonharley

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:13 pm

unjonharley wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Fuck unjohns chance!!!

No sweat... We will all be there eating dust in 290 some days.. My reconstructed ass has healed sweetly.. So I will be peddling it about Black Rock City rocking out to 50's tunes..

Yea, I'm with Figjam, if this clusterfuck goes forward,,,,, We'll get you there UJ.....
TITWI

thisisthatwhichis

Postby jkisha » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:JK, the way I read it, you will only be in the pool for that tier: separate lotteries for each ticket tier.

Well if that's the case, I really don't like it. So, that means its truly a gamble. If I want a chance to bid on a low price ticket and I don't get picked, I'm out of luck and just can't buy a ticket?! Now that makes no sense to me at all. I'd rather then that all tickets were the same price.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:39 pm

jkisha wrote:

Well if that's the case, I really don't like it. So, that means its truly a gamble. If I want a chance to bid on a low price ticket and I don't get picked, I'm out of luck and just can't buy a ticket?! Now that makes no sense to me at all. I'd rather then that all tickets were the same price.

yeah, that's the part that seems most of all, to not make sense. Why, would they not want folks to "float"?
Imagine, lots of people loading up the tier 3 level, thinking, the lower would be over run, and, can't/won't afford the higher...you might end up with a ton of people not getting a ticket, at all.........seems they run the overflow from each level up the chain, until each reached their self set limit.

but, well, that may well be wishful thinking.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:24 pm

I am almost over the lottery disappointment, but I dont think I can get over how confusing they make it in the letter. Hopefully it will be more clear when its time to "register"
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:34 pm

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:

yeah, that's the part that seems most of all, to not make sense. Why, would they not want folks to "float"?
Imagine, lots of people loading up the tier 3 level, thinking, the lower would be over run, and, can't/won't afford the higher...you might end up with a ton of people not getting a ticket, at all.........seems they run the overflow from each level up the chain, until each reached their self set limit.

but, well, that may well be wishful thinking.........

I spotted this fly in the ointment first read.. That's what I went off on..

If you get a ticket and the left over ticket get a better price I'm going to be pissed
unjonharley

Postby bradtem » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:09 pm

While I expect there will be clarification later, the way I read it is you specify the tiers you are willing to pay. If your intention is to pay the least you can, you would pick your highest tier and all those tiers below it. They would run the first tier, and if you win, you get a cheap ticket, and are removed from future contention. If you lose, you remain entered in your next tier.

However, I see a potential flaw. I presume they also want people to say they are willing to support the event and thus not even try for tier 1. There have always been such people. But without care, this is a problem because they are now hurting their chances. If you generously say you only want to try in tier 3 and 4, then you have less chance of winning, both because of not participating in 1 and 2, and because tier 3's lottery has all the losers from 1 and 2.

The right way to do it is a bit complex but is as follows. You can still specify you will pay the tier 3 or tier 4 price. But you compete in the tier 1 lottery. If you win there, you pay the tier 3 price and there gets to be another winner in the tier 1 lottery. For example, if there are 2,000 tickets in the tier 1 lottery, they pull 2,000 winners from everybody, and if 100 of them actually are pay-more winners, draw 100 more entries, and repeat until 2,000 people have paid the tier 1 price, and some number of people have won but paid higher prices. And so on.

However, I suspect the right course is not this, but to scrap the lottery plan, as it has too many other issues.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby pink » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 am

That actually makes the most sense. Everyone has an equal chance at the beginning, but pays the price they set, and the ticket is thus removed from the price tier chosen by the buyer.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Psycho » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 am

bradtem wrote:The right way to do it is a bit complex but is as follows. You can still specify you will pay the tier 3 or tier 4 price. But you compete in the tier 1 lottery. If you win there, you pay the tier 3 price and there gets to be another winner in the tier 1 lottery. For example, if there are 2,000 tickets in the tier 1 lottery, they pull 2,000 winners from everybody, and if 100 of them actually are pay-more winners, draw 100 more entries, and repeat until 2,000 people have paid the tier 1 price, and some number of people have won but paid higher prices. And so on.

However, I suspect the right course is not this, but to scrap the lottery plan, as it has too many other issues.

Another possibility is for tier 1, ONLY people that said they can only pair tier one are eligible for the draw. If they randomly select everyone that chose that option, and there are still tier 1 tickets left, then those are randomly given to people that said they wouldn't pay higher than tier 2. If there's more tier 1 entries than tickets, after the tickets are gone to tier ones only, and that's it for them.

Then tier 2 progresses the same way...

I think the end result is the same as what you've described, just handled a little differently behind the scenes.

There's 'lotteries' for purchasing collectible items that use this kind of system. You choose what item you want the most, then second most, etc. All the people that said they want item #1 the most, get first crack in the lottery. If there's item #1s left over, then people that only wanted it 2nd most get a chance...

I would suspect this is how it's going to work. If you say you will pay tier 3, you aren't completely out of tier 1 and 2, but people that say they can only pay tier 1 & 2 get priority in the lottery drawing for those tiers.
Psycho

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 am

Some good ideas on how the Lottery itself should be run.

I'm pretty sure that the actual drawing will remain shrouded in secret sauce.

Our interface to it is likely going to be 4 or 5 check boxes indicating each of the tiers that we would LIKE to possibly pay. Then at a time a few weeks later, we'll get an email that says "You won TIER 2!" The how/why will never be explained.
Nipple

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 am

Well I hope that is the case, because for some reason I feel lucky right now.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion