Move to Ticket Forum when it Exists

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Move to Ticket Forum when it Exists

Postby lemur » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:28 pm

the way things are sounding in the other thread it feels like burning man 2012 is gonna kick ass.

gate line on monday will only be 3 hours..exodus will be a breeze..

less crowded, too
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FaeTora » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 pm

exodus this past year wasn't as bad as before, but I saw a lot of people leave this past year before the temple burn.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Burn date?

Postby ozalid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi all. Help me....what is date of actual burn man burn? I read the burn was sept 1st. But that the festival lasts till the 3rd...and I thought the burn was the last night of the festival .. Someone set this poor fool straight?
ozalid

Re: Burn date?

Postby lemur » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 pm

ozalid wrote:Hi all. Help me....what is date of actual burn man burn? I read the burn was sept 1st. But that the festival lasts till the 3rd...and I thought the burn was the last night of the festival .. Someone set this poor fool straight?

welcome to eplaya!!!

the man burns on the Saturday that occurs during the event (weather permitting)

so that would be the saturday before labour day, 2012..
lemur

Postby tamarakay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 pm

This is a hardship for paycheck to paycheck types.
We plan on purchasing ours in the holiday period. Now my fear is so many crazed people will be flinging themselves into that little lottery and we won't get them. THEN you will hear some whining from me.
We've already spent 600 on shade cloth, pvc, etc for the two large monkey huts for my little Dye with DIgnity Camp. Not to mention the silk and dye i've already bought. I have to spread it out over time or we won't be able to afford to do our camp. If we don't get the holiday time tickets all other planning/spending for the event will definitely stop. 600 is a lot of money and sacrifice for our budget, and i really don't want to risk any more.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 pm

And before anyone makes fun of me, I know a lot of you have spent or will spend way more than I do on your vehicles camps etc. To a lot of you 600 is not a lot. To me it is a lot of tuna fish sandwiches instead of lunch out, so go easy.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 pm

I like how the other thread talks about bidding even through there was no mention of it in JS.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm

wh..sh wrote:I like how the other thread talks about bidding even through there was no mention of it in JS.

Putting your credit card in for tie price is a bid.. Your bid is "then" put into a lottery..chances of getting a lower price. about 50 000 to 1
unjonharley

Postby Elderberry » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Now I see why trillo locked the other thread!
I'm not so sure I like the lottery idea all that much either.
Time will tell I guess.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby VultureChow » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm trying to understand why they dd it this way instead of the obvious non-transferable ticket with single tier pricing. Too much infrastructure needed to print tickets? It can't be that much harder than having a lottery.

It almost reads like the lesson they learned from a sell out event and scalpers was that people are willing to pay more than face value, and BMorg should be getting that money.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

PRE-SALES: We also announce the return of a limited Pre-Sale, timed around the holidays. These "pre-sale" tickets will be offered at a significantly higher price than the very lowest tier of tickets; they'll also be sold via a lottery system. (This also affords a chance for us all to experience the lottery program with a smaller subset of ticket buyers before the main rollout begins.)

The JS clearly states that Pre-sales will be the test round.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:50 pm

wh..sh wrote:
PRE-SALES: We also announce the return of a limited Pre-Sale, timed around the holidays. These "pre-sale" tickets will be offered at a significantly higher price than the very lowest tier of tickets; they'll also be sold via a lottery system. (This also affords a chance for us all to experience the lottery program with a smaller subset of ticket buyers before the main rollout begins.)

The JS clearly states that Pre-sales will be the test round.

No. It reads that it a test to see how bad they can fuck you..

Nothing about a test.. Just bend over and grab your socks.. And don't expect a kiss.
unjonharley

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:18 pm

unjonharley wrote:No. It reads that it a test to see how bad they can fuck you..

Nothing about a test.. Just bend over and grab your socks.. And don't expect a kiss.

I am trying to point myself to a good scenic view while I am bent over...

While I understand the concerns, the positive me is trying to find some point in the newly proposed system :(
But not being a big supporter for all the lovey-dovey-fucking-"fairness"-in-it-all doesn't help.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 pm

JUst put the fucking ticket out there at one price and I will buy it if I can afford it..

I'll try to buy it as early as possible.. Then go ahead and plan the trip , camp, MV and art..

If they are sold out before me, "tough on me"

takes the stress out of everything..

If I miss out behind this horse shit lottery, I will go for a media blitz shit storm on Larry
unjonharley

Postby teardropper » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:31 pm

unjonharley wrote:
No. It reads that it a test to see how bad they can fuck you.... And don't expect a kiss.

Man, you are such a cynic... 'Course, I like it...

BLM freezes the event at 50,000 burners, the event sells out... can't grow forever, unless BLM agrees to the expansion, 2 or 3 more rings way out there, who cares, nobody goes out there anyway. If more money can't be made by selling more tickets to more burners, then tickets prices have to go up. Shorter tiers, maybe. Does a lottery bring in more money? They're allowed to make money. They're a private corporation. I'm glad they make money. They do well as examples in the corporate world. Get volunteers to do all the work. Well, maybe not that exactly, but because they do, they sure have a lot more money to give to the surrounding communities, and communities-at-large, for really good stuff, and so, we get to keep on going to the desert to make and look at art and, of course, go crazy for a week or so. I just wanna' buy my ticket.

And we don't have to pay $75 for a t-shirt. We getta' make our own...
Last edited by teardropper on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:31 pm

wh..sh wrote:I am trying to point myself to a good scenic view while I am bent over...

Such a tease.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 pm

lemur

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 pm

bigdane wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:No really though.. once the initial shock passed over.. I don't really see what people are freaking out about. All this means is the same thing that it always did: Plan early. Allocate funds early. Don't wait until the last second.

I think the main confusion that I'm seeing here is that people are misreading things to think that there will only be ONE lottery.. which.. I could see being freak-out-able.

There will be MULTIPLE lotteries.. so just get in on an early one! What's the big deal?

Let me see if I understand...cuz I'm slooow sometimes...under the lottery system if you want a ticket and enter (that is pay the ticket price) you win. So, like if there are 10,000 tickets in the first lottery and 9500 people who enter the lottery...don't they all get one?And if there are 10,001 people who enter...one unlucky person will have to enter the next lottery...
aren't the chances of being that one unlucky person for several lotteries pretty slim...like almost non-existent...so that as long as ya plan...YOU WIN!!!

I like the odds of this game! :lol:

Ok.. check this out..

There's 55k tickets in the gat' damn lottery. Unless 55k+ people sign up for the very first lottery.. you WILL get a ticket. The ONLY thing that this doesn't guarantee is which tier you will get.

So.. lets say.. there are 8k 1st tier, 8k second and 8k 3rd. 15k people sign up for the 1st round. Of those 15k, 7k say that they will only take 1st. 5k say they will take 1st or second. 2k say they will take 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Guess what? Random 8k people will get the 1st tier, and random 7k will get the second tier! There will still be 40fuckingK tickets left for the next round.

So then we start.. the second round of lottery. This time, the 1st tier is sold out.. but there are 1k left in 2nd, 8k left in 3rd, and XXXX left in 4th. So now we take all those people that signed up in open registration and apply them against those numbers. Whatever tickets are left over, go on the next round.

So on and so forth. It's really not hard.

The moral of the story? If Burning Man is THAT important to you, then.. *gasp* allocate your few hundred bucks out of the $2000 that you're going to be spending.. NOW.. instead of the last minute.

It's really not rocket science. The sky is not falling. We're burners for godsakesalive. We survive. We figure it out. We improvise. We self rely. We get-it-to-fucking-gether... puh-leeze.
junglesmacks

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Now that shit has officially hit the fan, I suggest we revisit this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41282

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm

wh..sh wrote:Now that shit has officially hit the fan, I suggest we revisit this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41282

Ry ruv roo.

You wanna like... uh.. get outa here and grab some coffee or something?
junglesmacks

Postby wh..sh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:01 am

junglesmacks wrote:
wh..sh wrote:Now that shit has officially hit the fan, I suggest we revisit this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41282

Ry ruv roo.

You wanna like... uh.. get outa here and grab some coffee or something?

love to! provided you guarantee scenic views :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:03 am

*biting my tongue*
junglesmacks

Postby amarantha » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Ok.. check this out..

There's 55k tickets in the gat' damn lottery. Unless 55k+ people sign up for the very first lottery.. you WILL get a ticket. The ONLY thing that this doesn't guarantee is which tier you will get.

So.. lets say.. there are 8k 1st tier, 8k second and 8k 3rd. 15k people sign up for the 1st round. Of those 15k, 7k say that they will only take 1st. 5k say they will take 1st or second. 2k say they will take 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Guess what? Random 8k people will get the 1st tier, and random 7k will get the second tier! There will still be 40fuckingK tickets left for the next round.

So then we start.. the second round of lottery. This time, the 1st tier is sold out.. but there are 1k left in 2nd, 8k left in 3rd, and XXXX left in 4th. So now we take all those people that signed up in open registration and apply them against those numbers. Whatever tickets are left over, go on the next round.

So on and so forth. It's really not hard.

The moral of the story? If Burning Man is THAT important to you, then.. *gasp* allocate your few hundred bucks out of the $2000 that you're going to be spending.. NOW.. instead of the last minute.

It's really not rocket science. The sky is not falling. We're burners for godsakesalive. We survive. We figure it out. We improvise. We self rely. We get-it-to-fucking-gether... puh-leeze.

oh. cheers junglesmacks, you just explained it in a way that makes sense. it still seems overly complicated but at least i think i get how it works now. hat tip to you and your giant brain. :D
amarantha

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:48 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Tickets to Hawaii require no lottery for the same time frame next year.

I'm going to Hawaii in January.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 am

bigdane wrote:I think if someone is prone to freaking about the process they'd probably be freakin about any process.

Now, now, don't go talking sense to the people...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:24 am

FaeTora wrote:We could do the Drowning Man next year. We build the city off the coast of Cali or Hawaii and at the end, we blow up his base and watch him burn and sink.

Or the gulf, I hear that it's easy to get permission to do all sorts of platform burning and drowning out there...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:27 am

gulf of Mexico, or California?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 am

@Tamarakay - it's only hard if you're completely incapable of managing your money. You register and provide cc info, then you hear back (and are presumably billed) when the drawing gets made. In the interim, you just need to make sure you've got the funds in the account to cover the cost of your ticket purchase. Like making sure you have enough for rent or a car payment.

@jkisha - the announcement I posted was never an open thread, it's just an informational post.

@VultureChow - a non-transferrable ticket would be a horrible idea. Probably as many as a quarter of Burning Man tickets change hands between the time they're purchased and the time they go through the gates, and that's just the legitimate reasons (someone couldn't go, fundraising ticket raffle, ticket given to project winner, just plain gifted, etc). Plus the prospect of having to turn an entire vehicle around at the gate because the name on the ticket doesn't match up with one of the vehicle's passengers just seems messy at best.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am

At least they come up with this now..
The scalper have time to take credit card co's up on there mail spam offers..
Have some one bid for you on each level.. Pay the mim on each card until tickets are issued.

So putting 15 000 tickets on one level..
15 000 bids come in at this level..
average buy per ticket buyer 3
5 000 slots are sold..
10 000 people are in the wind..

How are the left over bidders going to know they are out there?
What would be there next step??
How long are the credit card going to be hanging for hackers pot of gold??

What happens if a level dose not sell out?? Like not enough bids come in at that level..It would piss me off no end if these tickets are sold first come..
unjonharley

Postby wh..sh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:55 am

[quote="trilobyte]a non-transferrable ticket would be a horrible idea. Probably as many as a quarter of Burning Man tickets change hands between the time they're purchased and the time they go through the gates, and that's just the legitimate reasons (someone couldn't go, fundraising ticket raffle, ticket given to project winner, just plain gifted, etc). [/quote]

+1000
Horrible Idea!

-Bob
wh..sh

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion