BM 2012 - ticket sale !

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

BM 2012 - ticket sale !

Postby Yotam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello guys !
i just dont know where i can find an answer to this question..

- When will they ticket sale start? and where will i i be able to buy them?

- when do you think the tickets will be sold out this year?

thanks !

Yotam from Israel.
Yotam

Re: BM 2012 - ticket sale !

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Yotam wrote:Hello guys !
i just dont know where i can find an answer to this question..

- When will they ticket sale start? and where will i i be able to buy them?

- when do you think the tickets will be sold out this year?

thanks !

Yotam from Israel.

Hi Yotam, Welcome to ePlaya!!!

Well, the information has not been released yet. I guess the ticket page will be updated in mid November. When the tickets do go on sale, you can purchase them at: http://tickets.burningman.com/ (Assuming you are travelling from Israel, you will be able to pick up your ticket(s) from the Will Call office, which is by the gate.)

2011 was the first year that the tickets sold out. That was due to a expansion restriction due to a temporary land use permit. The Burning Man organization is negotiating for the ability to expand each year, so maybe the sell-out was a one-time event. In 2011, the tickets sold out in the latter part of July.

Sorry I could not answer all of your questions!!

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Sign up to the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter, and you'll be sure to get information when it becomes available (most likely later this month). Ticket prices and on-sale dates have not been officially announced, but are expected to go on sale in mid-January. Historically, they've used a tiered pricing structure (with limited numbers of lower priced tickets).

Tickets sold out this year after being on sale for more than six months, largely because of a unique set of circumstances (long story) - it's not yet clear whether the population cap will remain the same or increase by enough to accommodate the expected demand. If the cap remains the same as 2010/2011 (highly unlikely), it would still take several months for the event to sell out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:36 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sign up to the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter, and you'll be sure to get information when it becomes available (most likely later this month). Ticket prices and on-sale dates have not been officially announced, but are expected to go on sale in mid-January. Historically, they've used a tiered pricing structure (with limited numbers of lower priced tickets).

Tickets sold out this year after being on sale for more than six months, largely because of a unique set of circumstances (long story) - it's not yet clear whether the population cap will remain the same or increase by enough to accommodate the expected demand. If the cap remains the same as 2010/2011 (highly unlikely), it would still take several months for the event to sell out.

JACK RABBIT SPEAKS: http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html

The tickets page has finally changed from the August info: tickets.burningman.com - No real info, but at least we now know there is someone there ;)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Yotam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 pm

thank you so much for the quick answers !

are they alot of people that i would be able to share a ride to the concert with? i plan basicly to go there from San Fransisco, and to find someone with a car or a van that i could share the cost of the gas with.. are there alot of people who do that?
Yotam

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:10 am

Welcome Yotan. This is much more than an 8 day "concert". It's a festival of fire and other stuff. That line really doesn't sum things up, but here is a little reading on what this festival is all about. http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/
You can also use Google and YouTube do some searches to learn more.
Sham

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:18 am

Yotam wrote:thank you so much for the quick answers !

are they alot of people that i would be able to share a ride to the concert with? i plan basicly to go there from San Fransisco, and to find someone with a car or a van that i could share the cost of the gas with.. are there alot of people who do that?

Uh, Yotam - yes there are camps that have/play music. Pretty decent dj's from all over the planet. BUT, this event occurs out in the middle of the desert. http://galleries.burningman.com/photos/ ... pastheader

This is a leave no trace and a no commerce event: all you can purchase is ice and coffee. So, you might want to connect with a theme camp which will help you with the basic necessities. (Others on this forum are more familiar with helping international travellers than myself.) After all, it is a flat, desolate former lake bed with alkaline soil. So, you will need a tent, warm sleeping bag (it sometimes gets to 0C at night and has on occasion gotten over 50C during the day), you should have 6 litres of water for each day you are there, etc. Think of being in the desert by the dead sea, but with no humidity... ;)

Please read the survival and first-timers guides: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

Don't Panic!! You can fly in and attend if you make the proper preparations ahead of time! (I fly in from Canada to San Francisco and do fine)

Love Rice
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Yotam » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:09 am

haha i reallu dont know why i wrote "concret" here before.. im watching videos and read about this festival for a few years now... i know alot about this event and i've read the survival guied.
after all this - i still, naturally fell like i dont have a clue about Burning Man and its not far from the truth..\

i still have no idea how will i be able to carrie 6 litres of water for each day im there, and what about food and everything elese..
i wont be able to rent or buy a Caravan like many people do.. so i will have to catch a ride with someone to the festuival and there find like a camp i could join.. isnt that what lots of people r doing?

Rice - i like your comparison of this to the Dead Sea.. :) its an amazing place - but really- im sure the navada desert is much more rough then any desert in israel..
Yotam

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:44 am

dont worry.. if you stick around the community here, or elsewhere, you shouldnt have any problem getting a ride from, at least Reno to the event.. and maybe from san fran.

plenty of people from out of country do it every year.. ive taken someone in from another nation and invited them in to my personal camp in the past and we got supplies and stuff in reno, rode up.. all was well... it was their first burn, they needed a ride... there was space.. so they came.

it will help to understand what you need, your plans.. etc.. but so long as you do,.. youll likely not be a burden and theres plenty of folks who share space in cars/vehicles who would surely help you out..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 pm

The Green Tortoise Hostel in San Francisco may have their usual 3 and 5 day Burning Man trips in 2012. Check back with these guys in a few months and see if they're doing this--it's not a bad option for an international traveller. They provide food, water, and transport, but you still have to buy your own tent and other little things:

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures ... tival.html

However, it's much more fun to catch the full 7 days if you can, by flying into Reno with clothes and goggles, picking up a rental car, shopping in their stores for the day, then sleeping the night in Reno and driving in the next day.

(A practiced Burner might be able to arrive, shop & drive in to the event the same day, but the line to get in can be long and then there's still the issue of setting up a tent . . . I don't recommend it for a new person.)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I have wanted to fly into Reno from Canada, but it seems that flying to Reno doubles my flight costs. It is cheaper to fly to San Francisco and drive from there. After all, it is only about 5 hours from the SFO airport to Gerlach (about the same driving time I need to get from my home city to the Montana/USA border). (Yes, I have checked flying to Denver - Reno, San Francisco - Reno, Minneapolis - Reno, etc. ... Stupid airlines !!! :evil: )
Love Rice

Rice

Postby lemur » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 pm

keep checking..

reno has been getting more and more flights every year i look..

when there used to be NO direct flights to be found if you were far enough away.. now theres tons..

its a long year for stuff to develop out there
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:19 pm

lemur wrote:keep checking..

reno has been getting more and more flights every year i look..

when there used to be NO direct flights to be found if you were far enough away.. now theres tons..

its a long year for stuff to develop out there

There may be direct flights, but not from my city (YXE). I have to fly to a hub and then to Reno.

Flight to San Francisco $460 Cdn, Flight to Reno $716. The difference is pretty much the cost of a BM ticket... {sigh}

I have no problem paying $100 more to get to Reno directly, but not that much. I would rather drive and use the difference preparing for my burn.

For me, getting there is certainly a part of my Burning Man experience. The ticket is only a small-small part of the cost.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 pm

stretch80 wrote:After all, it is only about 5 hours from the SFO airport to Gerlach

Um. No.

We drive from SF (which is actually very slightly closer than SFO) every year, and we consider it good if we can do the trip (with stops for food/ bathroom & to pick up water in Reno) in 10 hours. Last year we were shocked that we made it in about 7 hours with stops. We also left SF at about 10pm, so there was no traffic until after Reno.

During the off season it might be possible in 5 hours, not a chance during the Burn.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Eric wrote:
stretch80 wrote:After all, it is only about 5 hours from the SFO airport to Gerlach

Um. No.

We drive from SF (which is actually very slightly closer than SFO) every year, and we consider it good if we can do the trip (with stops for food/ bathroom & to pick up water in Reno) in 10 hours. Last year we were shocked that we made it in about 7 hours with stops. We also left SF at about 10pm, so there was no traffic until after Reno.

During the off season it might be possible in 5 hours, not a chance during the Burn.

I have driven from San Fran about 4 days before the gate opens, and a week prior to gate opening. Maybe I got lucky, perhaps I drive with focus?? I didn't count stopping in Fernley for supplies (add maybe 1.5 hours then). I was referring to the behind-the-wheel time...

Now that I think about it, I actually am not completely sure how long each drive took. All I know is it a hell of a lot shorter than my drive from Saskatoon...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:53 pm

stretch80 wrote:I have driven from San Fran about 4 days before the gate opens, and a week prior to gate opening. Maybe I got lucky, perhaps I drive with focus?? I didn't count stopping in Fernley for supplies (add maybe 1.5 hours then). I was referring to the behind-the-wheel time...

Now that I think about it, I actually am not completely sure how long each drive took. All I know is it a hell of a lot shorter than my drive from Saskatoon...

Your key words: "before the gate opens": 5 or 6 might be totally do-able then. Starting Sunday when it's about to open is a whole different game. I also count the entire time, including stops, when I'm figuring it because that's how long it actually took me to get from point A to point B. I'm specific that way :)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Yotam » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 pm

im sure that the way there and back is a part of this whole thing.. ive driven through a few deserts in my life and its such an amazing for of ladscape !! im defenetly going to find a way to do the trip with a car.. though all the trip will be to actually cross more than half of the world to get there, which will make it much more fun..!

i just read alot in the thousands of forums exists here, and the 2012 ticket system seems really strange.. can anybody make the affort and explain it to me in simpe words?
will it be possible for someone not to get a ticket just because his name didnt win in the lottey?

thanks alot guys ! :)

Yotam.
Yotam

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Yotam wrote:im sure that the way there and back is a part of this whole thing.. ive driven through a few deserts in my life and its such an amazing for of ladscape !! im defenetly going to find a way to do the trip with a car.. though all the trip will be to actually cross more than half of the world to get there, which will make it much more fun..!

i just read alot in the thousands of forums exists here, and the 2012 ticket system seems really strange.. can anybody make the affort and explain it to me in simpe words?
will it be possible for someone not to get a ticket just because his name didnt win in the lottey?

thanks alot guys ! :)

Yotam.

I will try to explain: We Don't Know Yet!!

I wish I could actually explain, but since no details have been published, I would just be guessing.

Rice
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Eric wrote:Your key words: "before the gate opens": 5 or 6 might be totally do-able then. Starting Sunday when it's about to open is a whole different game. I also count the entire time, including stops, when I'm figuring it because that's how long it actually took me to get from point A to point B. I'm specific that way :)

Eric, I think I am on the right page now! (Some days I am slow ;)

I stand corrected: in 2011 we took about 7.5 hours to get to BRC (including 1 gas stop, 2 pee breaks, 1 stop to get something laminated, and lunch at an Indian Taco stand)

Prior to my flying down with early entry passes, I would drive from Saskatoon Canada to BRC via Fernley. It was a guessing game and we would try to get to Gerlach about 45 minutes before Sunday midnight, the drive to Gerlach takes 26-30 hours depending on stops and city traffic. From that perspective, 7 (or even 10) hours is super-short ;)

Flying is easier on me, but adds the extra cost of buying more stuff when I get to the States.

It would help me a lot if they could move Burning Man to Northern Idaho. (Sure, it would inconvenience thousands, but I am having a selfish moment ;)

Rice
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:37 pm

That doesn't seem to be stopping anyone else from explaining! :shock:
stretch80 wrote:
I will try to explain: We Don't Know Yet!!

I wish I could actually explain, but since no details have been published, I would just be guessing.

Rice
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 am

stretch80 wrote:It would help me a lot if they could move Burning Man to Northern Idaho.

Only if we could burn down Northern Idaho. (My old home town is Spokane, WA)
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Nipple wrote:
stretch80 wrote:It would help me a lot if they could move Burning Man to Northern Idaho.

Only if we could burn down Northern Idaho. (My old home town is Spokane, WA)

Uh, I was only trying to cut my drive down to about 13-14 hours from 26ish hours. I guess you can burn whatever you like. {smirk}

Rice
Love Rice

Rice

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion