Burner Express / Will Call Ticket Concern

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Burner Express / Will Call Ticket Concern

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm riding Burner Express and have two tickets on Will Call.

One of them needs to be at the Gerlach Will call for my friend arriving on Thursday.

I believe my ticket will be available at departure tomorrow morning in SF.

However, I need to make sure the other ticket is safely available in my friend's name in Gerlach.

I opened a support ticket with Burner Express yesterday evening but have not gotten any action yet.

Since the hours are ticking by, I'm getting a bit nervous, as I don't want to be going in with the extra ticket and unable to get it to Gerlach!

This seems like a Burner Express issue. However, other than sitting and waiting to hear back, should I start reaching out to BM ticketing?
spacetime

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Burner Express / Will Call Ticket Concern

Postby danibel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 pm

I have been going to Burning Man for 5 years and I have never seen a "Gerlach" will call. The will call is close to the gate where they take your ticket and check your vehicle for stowaways and contraband. Since you are on the Burner Express you will bypass a lot of traffic and lines. Good for you.

Get on the bus, gus. Get to will call and pick up your ticket. Leave the other ticket for your friend. MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE IT IN THEIR LEGAL NAME. and they need to have ID that MATCHES that legal name exactly.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby burner von braun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:21 pm

I think danibel has it exactly right. There is only one Will Call outlet, and that is right before gate. Not Gerlach, and you won't get yours in SF either. Not if it is Will Call. They will both be at the WC station, just a few hundred yards prior to gate, both of which are located well onto the playa. Your friend, if they're driving, will have waited in line (ok maybe not much of a line by Thursday) before getting to it, but not to worry, they won't miss it. As I recall, gate personel approaches each car at that proximity, for that very purpose, as an initial check that you have a ticket, or to point you to Will Call. You'll bypass most of this being on the bus, but let your friend know. Also it wouldn't hurt for you to more carefully read all of the info both here and on the main website regarding Will Call, and also the Burner Express.

And yes, make sure your ID info is precise and accurate!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey, thanks for the clarification guys. I meant the gate will-call.

Here is why I am confused still. BXB (Burner Express) sent out the following email yesterday via TicketFly:

To BRC:
- When you arrive at your pick up location please look for Burner Express staff in bright orange BXB t-shirts.
- Check in staff will be available 1 hour prior to the first scheduled departure (9am in SF and 10am in Reno).
- If you do not already have your Burning Man ticket in hand, please check in with BXB Will Call staff at your point of departure to obtain your event ticket ASAP.
- Once you have your ticket in hand, check in with the bus staff for your assigned departure. You will need a government issued photo ID to pick up you BM ticket and to check in for the Burner Express.
- BXB staff will check you in, assist you with loading your luggage, verify its size and quantity, and direct you to your appropriate bus.
- Please do not board the bus or load your luggage without direction from BXB staff.

- Please keep your Burning Man ticket with you and DO NOT put it in your checked luggage.

- You will NOT have access to your checked luggage until you are inside Black Rock City.

- Once you have checked in, do not wander from the loading zone, as buses will leave once filled.

- If you are scheduled for a later departure, you may be allowed to depart on an earlier trip on a space available basis. Similarly, if you experience a delay BXB staff will do their best to get you on a later departure on a space available basis.

- If for any reason you miss your bus into Blac k Rock City or chose not to ride the bus in and you are picking up your Burning Man ticket at Will Call, you must notify Burning Man ticketing staff by emailing ticketsupport@burningman.com otherwise you will experience difficulties at the gate as your BM ticket will be with your reserved bus.

See Bullet 3 above. It sounds like they're saying check in with staff to get your Will Call Ticket, as they say BXB Will Call staff.
spacetime

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm

I went ahead and emailed ticketsupport. I think the "will call staff" will probably be able to help ensure the extra ticket is safe at the Gate, but will report back on what goes down.
spacetime

Postby burner von braun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Dang, I think I may stand corrected here spacetime. I think when you begin the process with Burner Express, they'll know how to help you get everything squared away.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby danibel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Okay. I also stand corrected. Burner Express will call is a whole different experience. I would say they run into this situation with other peeps and will be able to help get that other ticket in the right name at the gate for your friend.

Interesting though. I guess the express does't want to stop at the will call on gate road. Makes sense because some people will have hard tickets and why should they wait for a will caller. But logically this sounds like a lot of work!

Please let us know how this shakes down. I am very curious now.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby delle » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Actually it makes the whole operation way smoother, Dani. Everyone has tickets in hand when they get to gate, and everyone gets to stretch their legs for a wee bit while the Will Callers cross the road in Gerlach for their tickets. They're back before you know it and we all sing our way into the city.

I'm positive that this has been dealt with in the past and they have a procedure for getting the remaining ticket to the right spot. They wouldn't want to be clogging up the Gerlach office with non-Bussers. .
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies and support.

I believe the reason the bus skips the gate is because it also skips the line.

In another place I read that the SF bus must proceed quickly so that it arrives before sundown. The document described a safety concern of campers getting started too late.

So it may be that this special handling is simply to reduce time to getting folks where they need to be with their camp setup.

I am solo camping, and literally have timed my shade and tent setup, and performed it in the windy darkness a few times. So I am ready if the bus has issues or something. But I'm hoping I've gone a bit overboard on prep and it is a nice evening setup.

I'll come back with what happens.
spacetime

Postby spacetime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Hey--no problems this morning. On the bus now.

We are proceeding to Gerlach for the special BxB will call.

The volunteers at bus load up in sf said all ticket issues would be worked out there. So it looks like this split I'm needing to administer will not be a problem.

No word back from my official inquiries still. But perhaps these are concerns the org knows are resolvable along my path. I just needed to relax. First time jitters.

Won't update this thread again unless something goes wrong.

Have fun everybody!
spacetime

Return to Transportation