Question about older RV and seatbelt/lapbelt

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Question about older RV and seatbelt/lapbelt

Postby zaqoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:49 pm

I can't find the law for California or Nevada about lap belts. I have an older RV that only has a lap belt, no shoulder belt. I don't want to be hassled by the cops along the way. Is a shoulder belt required?
zaqoff

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Question about older RV and seatbelt/lapbelt

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:57 pm

If your vehicle ONLY has lap belts (pre-66 or 68, maybe) that is all you are required to use,

Be prepared to be pulled over. Keep a copy of your registration readily available.
I like eggs.
Doctor VonBacon

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Seat belt laws aren't retroactive. If the vehicle did dot come with shoulder belts, you aren't required to add them. That '68 stuff is about cars... trucks and vans (and motorhomes) typically had no shoulder belts until much later.
You can even legally drive with no seat belts at all if you are in a car old enough to not come with any, generally pre-'62.
Now, if you do add belts to a car that didn't originally have them, you are then required to use them.

So, if your rig has all the belts it originally came with, even if it's just lap belts, you're legal.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Just remember that ALL passengers are required to wear the belts in Nevada and California - even people sitting back inside. If your table or chairs have seat belts, and people are sitting there, make sure they are on. Here's a breakdown of the laws by state.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby zaqoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 pm

The RV is a 1983 and only had lap belts. I didn't install shoulder belts when I bought it.
So it sounds like I am legally ok, but could be hassled and pulled over?
zaqoff

Burning Since: 2013

Return to Transportation