What is your opinion on this years Exodus? (2014)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

What is your opinion on this years Exodus? (2014)

Postby drpanda » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 am

So I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on Exodus will be like this year. With vehicle passes limited to a supposed 35,000 I am wondering if that is significantly fewer cars than years past, or is it the same? The first time I went to Burn Man in 2012, I left at about 6am the morning after the man burned and missed the temple burn. traffic was non-existent. I needed to get back to the kids and their first day of school.

This year, I am under the same type of time constraints, but I might be able to squeeze in the temple burn and then leave. I really don't want to miss my kid's first day of kindergarten. Wondering what you all though? Better exit availability due to limited tickets and the event staying open a little longer, or still the same, plan on 10 hours to hit pavement if I leave on Sunday?

Thoughts?
drpanda

Burning Since: 2012

Re: What is your opinion on this years Exodus? (2014)

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 am

drpanda wrote:With vehicle passes limited to a supposed 35,000 I am wondering if that is significantly fewer cars than years past, or is it the same?

When they announced the program, they said somethingto the effect of this number being slightly more than the number of vehicles that would be there, based on past trends.
Think of it this way--in some ways, this is a dry run. They are testing the system--for both llc and participants. Next year is when they will start to squeeze the number of vehicles down. Not by much, is my guess, but slowly they will try to get significantly lower.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DrYes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

drpanda wrote:So I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on Exodus will be like this year. With vehicle passes limited to a supposed 35,000 I am wondering if that is significantly fewer cars than years past, or is it the same? The first time I went to Burn Man in 2012, I left at about 6am the morning after the man burned and missed the temple burn. traffic was non-existent. I needed to get back to the kids and their first day of school.

This year, I am under the same type of time constraints, but I might be able to squeeze in the temple burn and then leave. I really don't want to miss my kid's first day of kindergarten. Wondering what you all though? Better exit availability due to limited tickets and the event staying open a little longer, or still the same, plan on 10 hours to hit pavement if I leave on Sunday?

Thoughts?

Last year, if you left right around Temple, you were going to sit in a very long exodus, but that was because a big rain storm had been announced and people wanted to get out before it hit.

Two and three years ago, if you left an hour or two before Temple, your wait was only 1-2 hours I believe. Saw a graph that took data points from various exodus reports, which is where I'm drawing those conclusions from, but can't find the graph offhand.
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby VultureChow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:10 pm

It was better last year.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby SquirrelHead » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:19 pm

VultureChow wrote:It was better last year.

It always is.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Fan C » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:24 pm

I guarantee it will be the best Burning Man Exodus you experience this year! Unfortunately it will also be the worst one this year. :?
Fan C

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Postby MrBeardy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Burning Man hasnt even started and we are already talking about how it is gonna end?!?! Enjoy your burn and whatever happens will happen! Wishing a most epic burn to all you dusty burners!
MrBeardy

Return to Transportation