Drop off at BRC

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Drop off at BRC

Postby oddty711 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 am

A virgin campmate has had her trip to BRC delayed by her work unit Thursday.
She's flying in and lands in Reno at 1:40 which only gives her 20 minutes to make the burner bus. In the event she misses the bus (last one of the day) we have a Reno local willing to drive her to BRC.

Question is, how does she get from the gate into BRC? Her ride won't have a ticket (or intend to stay) and all of her gear will already be on playa waiting for her. (She has her ticket in hand)
Does she walk (she's very athletic and could easily do it, also, no luggage to carry)? Hitch a ride with someone? Does her ride need to buy one of those refundable vendor tickets for $800 and drive her in?
How would this work?

Help.
oddty711

Burning Since: 2005

Re: Drop off at BRC

Postby maladroit » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 am

No one goes in the Gate on foot.

No one goes inside without a ticket.

No non-pre-approved vendors, and definitely not some dude-in-a-car.

It's not all doom and gloom though. If she misses the bus, hitching a ride with someone else shouldn't be hard to arrange. But it has to be done in Reno...no dropping off in Gerlach and asking people to take her into BRC. Places like Wal-Mart parking lots are usually packed with obvious Burners.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Mansoon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:42 am

A rideshare in is best (make a sign). I'll BET someone could drop her off, turn and leave. Bet it ain't the first time in Black Rock city, no damn way.
Not totally sure, but it's still a hike from the gate in to the city's edge, and the city is VERY big. Just hoofing it could take hours, across empty space. Some of those back blocks could take 30 min + to walk alone and bet you it takes an hour or two to walk from the gate (I've mostly walked in the city every year and those blocks are HUGE). But there's likely to be TONS of vehicles passing her, full of friendly Burners happy to just be there, and I bet a single female traveling alone with maybe just her bag could get a ride quick, even on Thursday.
I came in on a Thurs at night in 2007 and it was still pretty busy. Maybe the gate greeters could help her out, find someone for her, maybe she could have a sign with the address and hitch (give her your EXACT address and mark your camp with an easy-to-read sign). Most of us consider it a joy to help other people's burns go better, espec if we're just kinda going that way, anyway
Mansoon

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah, have her arrange for a ride-share with someone, especially as she doesn't have much to bring with her and can literally just bum a ride off anyone that has space for another passenger.

Lots of people can only arrive at that day of the week too. Post an ad on the shared resource forum and see what that gets her.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:46 am

Does she already have a ticket for the Burner Express? If not, they stopped selling them last Friday.

There is a ride-share desk for Burning Man at the Reno airport, that's probably her best bet. I don't know how many rides will be offered that late, but she will probably find one and it avoids all the other questions you had. The fact she doesn't have or need to bring anything will make it easier. One warning - she will still want to have her own water, at least a gallon. You can start getting dehydrated waiting in line - the dust is a desiccant, and it is trying to kill you.

If she doesn't know where your camp is ahead of time, make sure you leave a note at Playa Info in Center Camp.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 am

She needs to get a ride into the city. Gate will not allow anyone without an actual vehicle wander around gate road, putting herself in danger and creating problems.
The BLM vendor thing is closed, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mansoon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Seems like she could get a ride from the road turnoff, then? That way, her ride won't have to wait in line to drive to the gate (which could be a couple hours). Or just pick up a ride in Gerlach at one of the stores or stands by the side of the road. (make sure it's clear she HAS a ticket, just needs a ride in). If the ride is already set up and eveeything. Seems crazy if "You have a ticket, want to come in, but you HAVE to leave with your ride, who's NOT coming in and never had any plans to, anyway." And I KNOW I've seen people walking it, or with signs outside. Hell, if she hopped out of the car before gate, just started walking, and her ride turned and left, what are they gonna do if they "catch" her, walking up with a ticket, but no ride? Make her stay there the whole week or leave?
Mansoon

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:25 pm

People loitering in Gerlach, Nixon, etc., can be taken to Reno and fined.

And just because you've seen people apparently or actually without vehicles in line before, doesn't make it acceptable practice. LEOs and Gate aren't likely to be happy about either option. She can probably find a ride ride in Reno, but I'm not sure where.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Hey Mansoon, since you're so well-informed about all things, why are you even bothering to ask here? You don't need our input. Just go right on ahead and rely on your outdated, misinformed, anecdotal evidence. Convince your buddy to take that risk and possibly end up paying $200+ for a taxi-ride to Reno in the back of a cop car. What a fine way to spend your virgin year at Burning Man!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Mansoon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Well, she's not loitering for no good reason, she's actively trying to leave to get into the event. With a ticket. I'd be VERY surprised if anyone EVER got fined under those circumstances. The roadside would be CLEAR of people if that were the case, since I see a lot of "need ticket" people there. All the time. That's why *I'M here today, to try to arrange a ride in advance, since catching a ride in Reno can be a PAIN. Can take a long while, 2 minutes in sight of the car -rental desk or up to half a day, maybe, and put you in uncertain circumstances paying uncertain amounts (I've done it 5 of last 6 years, in and out). Much better to adapt to the offered ride, if it does it for you, and make do from there. I read that as the best form of radical self-reliance. If someone helps you out, don't expect every single little thing to be perfect. If they get you most of the way, adapt to what you need to do after that
Mansoon

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Loitering = no good reason to be there. There is no "good reason" for hanging out in that area in this context. There is no line to allow in people on foot. You're also not supposed to be hanging around waiting for rides in and around the towns near the event or on the roads. That's what a place like Reno is for. A Burning Man ticket is not a free ticket to hitchhike, loiter, or try to enter on foot.

Anyway, this is not pre-2011. It's not even 2013. Don't expect your anecdotes to apply here anymore. Last year was full of rubes thinking that they could squat in and about the event area to get a ticket. They were, and are, a nuisance to the event and to the adjacent towns. Their actions attracted lots of unwanted negative attention. Expect there to be a great reaping as law enforcement is stepped up and these trespassers are hauled off. Your "golden ticket" will be about as useful as your medical marijuana card in convincing the cop about your "good reasons."

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Psst. Bbadger. Monsoon is a free-range idiot, not the op.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby oddty711 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks for the info everyone, This is why I'm asking,
Note, we are a placed camp and she does have the address and a map.

Well aware of needing a ticket to pass the gate. That's why I was asking about the refundable vendor ticket which I understand is for one time deliveries not requiring an SRP. The person who would be delivering our camp mate would be using their business truck and purchase the refundable vendor ticket + vehicle pass and leaving in well under the 6hr time limit.

So if none of those scenarios will work, Could she be sent in on bicycle? Bikes are considered a vehicle, don't need a vehicle pass and I have seen multiple people bike in from Reno over the years.
In this case she would be dropped off at the 8mi entrance with ticket in hand and bicycle. (We'd leave it with her back up person and she would put it on the bus if she makes it.)

Again, this is just a back up plan. Trying to be radically self reliant without spending a fortune on Advantage Flight Solutions or loosing a day in Reno.
oddty711

Burning Since: 2005

Return to 2014 Share Resources