How To Plan Your Camp's Arrival After The Gates Open

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Re: How To Plan Your Camp's Arrival After The Gates Open

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 am

Human nature (and especially burners) is such that those planning to be at gate by 10AM will be 1 to 2 hours late.

Up till about 9:30 they'll be shunted to D lot.

Only the OCD punctual (me) will reap the rewards.

Year before last I hit the gate line at 5:30, and there were 20 cars between me and apex.

Last year I jumped the gun, and with smooth traffic on 447, got there at 4:30.

Went to D lot, but was still in camp before dark due to "first in last out". 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DrYes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:08 am

Awesome, thanks Figjam! That's what I was hoping to hear.

Would it be a terrible strategy to aim to arrive an hour early (to account for possible traffic probs on 447) and then if I arrive at the turn-off onto the playa too early, just carry on drive north a bit to waste time, turn around, come back and turn off onto the playa?
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:14 am

If you turn off the pavement at 9:00, you could burn a half hour poking along to gate.

Or try your plan and let us know. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DrYes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:17 am

FIGJAM wrote:If you turn off the pavement at 9:00, you could burn a half hour poking along to gate.

Or try your plan and let us know. 8)

Sounds good. Appreciate the advice.

I was also thinking that the ability of a lot of people to get there right at opening is compromised by the early opening, making it even better for those of us who can be punctual. My thoughts were that in previous years, you could drive up from the Bay Area on Sunday to get there for opening, or fly into Reno and drive up for opening. Both of those are a lot harder to pull off this year I think.
DrYes

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:23 am

I travel solo, so I don't have last minute "just let me grab" people!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DrYes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:25 am

FIGJAM wrote:I travel solo, so I don't have last minute "just let me grab" people!!! :lol:

Same! I see the rideshare ads and while I applaud sharing resources, I internally shudder at the potential for possibly disorganized people slowing me down.
DrYes

Postby pink » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 am

I've had EA since my second year and my first year got in Monday at noon, and it was 2005, so a lot less traffic. So, i don't know the answer to this question. If you are running early, can't you just pull off in Empire & shop a bit & have a cup of coffee? Or is Empire a total clusterfuck at that point?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 am

Clusterfuck describes it perfectly!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ano » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 am

I figured I'd hijack here...

Is there protocol about posting signs on the posts pre-event? I ask because this year my camp went as an unplaced theme camp, and we had a few of us in early to grab land and build up the basic infrastructure. After we built our main shade, I rode off to a pre-destined intersection and secured a sign to a post on 6:30 and K. It was definitely secure (overly so, it would have been a pain to steal), wasn't going to shed, and wasn't interesting enough to steal (Unless someone wants an unknown camp's symbol with an address), but it was gone the next morning. I posted it Saturday evening, and it was gone before the gates opened on Sunday, when I rode out to check out the sign and take a picture.

It caused a very first-world-problem for me, as I had to break my Burning Man code-of-conduct and pull out my phone to find reception to fire off a couple of text messages. The horror. :shock: :evil: :shock:
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 pm

I thought that you couldn't land grab until gate opened. Which doesn't explain to me where artists live, but whatever.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I thought that you couldn't land grab until gate opened. Which doesn't explain to me where artists live, but whatever.

There is a new "placed" category and it revolves around art support, other pre event setup/support and things like medical and rangers when not camping at an outpost. Placers are placing these type camps inside G in locations set aside for that purpose. People wishing to secure land for their camp and arriving early can only occupy non theme camp space they need individually outside of G and can not mark off land.

This is how I understand the situation at present as the mayor of a placed theme camp.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 pm

(of course, it's better to plan for your camp's arrival before the gates open...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:(of course, it's better to plan for your camp's arrival before the gates open...)

Always a good choice placed or otherwise.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Ano » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for the comments, but that still doesn't answer my question, and ultimately got nowhere, however, that's the general trend of this board, so okay, lets roll with it. To make things clear -

1. We had four people in on EA from various places, and we "grabbed" land by erecting a large shade structure and parking our cars/tents around it. We were actively using it from the moment we dropped in, and we filled it in with all of our campers. As I understand it (as told to me by the placer of my theme camp last year), there are no official rules regarding land grabs pre-entry above G street in unplaced camping, just courtesies. We did not flag off a massive chunk of empty land, but rather immediately built infrastructure and filled it in with our own camp. For the record, "unplaced theme camp" was our own unofficial designation, and not given to us by anyone. For the record, if you've ever been in early, you'd very quickly observe that land-grabbing with caution tape/rope/cones/cars is incredibly common. We decided to try to construct and use our space as quickly as possible. Our shade structure is 30x30.

2. We had planned our arrival prior to the gates opening, because we aren't stupid and we've done this rodeo before in different ways. We had pre-selected a few blocks to locate ourselves on, and those of us with EA were to build the basic infrastructure, post up a sign at a pre-destined sign-post, and everyone would meet us in camp. The plan broke down in that our sign was taken from the sign-post that we had posted on, so rather than sending our campmates on a couple-o-block long scavenger hunt, we texted folks. We were inspired to use a technology-free solution at the behest of this thread.

3. To make things abundantly clear, it was not one of the white posts used by ESD/Medical/Rangers/Other official capacities, but one of the tall T-posts with street signs on top. It was not on the edge of the city, but rather, a few blocks in. There were no other signs on it other than the official street signs on top, eight or nine feet up. We posted our sign at Eye-level, it was made of good quality wood that was not flaking/chipping, probably about 1.5'x1.5', and secured with zip-ties through a couple of attachment points. We tested it by hitting it. It didn't move. There was no way it was going to go anywhere, unless someone snipped it. Which brings me back to my original question:

Are we not allowed to post signs/notices/minutia/whatever on the sign posts prior to gates opening?
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I don't think it's a problem.

If it is, it's city wide cause I see paper plates on those posts all the time. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:33 pm

That blows, Ano. Sorry to hear it. Having an address sign removed is not an evil I'd heard of before (unless the signpost itself was stolen too). There are tons of addresses posted on signposts every year--my own camps have used the 2-intersection signpost system for a number of years with great success.

People sure do love stealing signs in general though, and I really kinda do hate that. I understand grabbing a souvenir on Temple Day, but when it's done early in the week it's unkind and unaesthetic, confuses virgins & intoxicated people, and has the potential to slow down ESD and Fire response slightly (the intersections are still written on the pole lower down, but you have to get much closer to read it).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ratty » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Motsky moon matic,

I arrive on Wed. before opening and yes I 'land grab'. There are 3 of us that camp alone/together. We require 4 tents, 3 vehicles, 2 small shade structures and various art pieces. I'm first on site. I set up a shade structure, 2 tents, bike rack, art piece and one vehicle. So do many other beloved eplayans. We don't all get early entry. We want to loosely huddle together when everyone arrives. It's allowed. We aren't setting aside an area for a volleyball court. Just enough space to set up. The city didn't come close to filling up this year. Behind us was just a wasteland of unused space. It was a non-issue.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I'd say attribute it to the wind/rain and have a back up ready next year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Ratty wrote:Motsky moon matic,

I arrive on Wed. before opening and yes I 'land grab'. There are 3 of us that camp alone/together. We require 4 tents, 3 vehicles, 2 small shade structures and various art pieces. I'm first on site. I set up a shade structure, 2 tents, bike rack, art piece and one vehicle. So do many other beloved eplayans. We don't all get early entry. We want to loosely huddle together when everyone arrives. It's allowed. We aren't setting aside an area for a volleyball court. Just enough space to set up. The city didn't come close to filling up this year. Behind us was just a wasteland of unused space. It was a non-issue.

I'm not calling anyone out on this and sorry if my tone seemed so. I was once a land grabber too. I went to great lengths to land grab in a very ethical manner and managed to do so successfully for 6 years before our camp went "legit" with a Theme Camp Application. Land grabbing was a great time with so many of us getting early entry by working hard for numerous departments and some art. We worked hard and enjoyed the spoils by staking a not too bold claim making it so the balance of our camp mates had a good spot to call home. I miss it but it's harder to pull off for a group of 100 these days.

Now for how to get you camp mates in to camp with signs. I used U bolts of the size that would go around the 2x2 sign post and a 1/2 inch or more thick plywood sign. This u bolt had to be bolted on with a wrench and I bent the excess so it would not be easy to remove the sign say with a leatherman tool. We had basic directions of turn left at the Y after greeters and look for the signs after 7 cause we were aiming for the 815 to 900 area. You get the rest of the story. 2 signs got people to camp. One year I think I put up 4 or 5 signs that way if the arriving camp mates missed the first sign they would run in to the second sign and be directed to camp from the next street. Perhaps in these days of prevalent sign theft a little redundancy is necessary. We did loose some signs to theft but never at the beginning of the event like you regrettably experienced.

motskyroonmatick

Postby purcitron » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Eric wrote:
JasonFL wrote:We are shooting for open space between D & E on the small number side.

There is very little open space that meets that requirement - there is some, but all the purple areas on the map are reserved for theme camps. If you're through the Gate within a few hours of when they open, you get a firm "maybe". If you aim for G or further back there is way more open space, and you'll have more luck with less stress.

help me out here plz. birgin.
"D", "E", "G"... these are the names of the radial streets?
all the previous street maps ive found show names like "consumer" as opposed to single letters.
thanks for the clarification.
purcitron

Postby Ratty » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Here are this years street names to coincide with the letters. Plan on 'open' camping on 'H' street or farther back. https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 05&t=73928
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:15 pm

The street closest to the Man/ inner playa is always Esplanade. The streets behind that are named, but they go alphabetically from one with a word starting with "a" closest to the Esplanade, back all the way to "l" (Laughing Sal this year) farthest away. Many of us just refer to them by their initial letter for ease, since that stays the same every year - ie: "I'm on F at 4:15" - which would mean on F, half-way between 4 & 4:30 (just think of the radials as a clock).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby purcitron » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:45 am

Eric wrote:The street closest to the Man/ inner playa is always Esplanade. The streets behind that are named, but they go alphabetically from one with a word starting with "a" closest to the Esplanade, back all the way to "l" (Laughing Sal this year) farthest away. Many of us just refer to them by their initial letter for ease, since that stays the same every year - ie: "I'm on F at 4:15" - which would mean on F, half-way between 4 & 4:30 (just think of the radials as a clock).

thanks.
where can i find a 2015 Playa map with camp locations please? or is that still a work in progress.
purcitron

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 am

Too soon, placement still being worked on.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 am

purcitron wrote:where can i find a 2015 Playa map with camp locations please? or is that still a work in progress.

You won't actually find an official map with placed camp locations until the MOOP map comes out after the event. Many placed camps don't want their locations publicized, either due to being a more "adult" camp, or only offering limited quantities of their gift (eg: some of the food camps). There are various apps you can get for your phone that camps can voluntarily add themselves to, and the 3:00, 6:00 etc threads here on eplaya will also let you know where you can find camps.

Official placement won't be released until sometime in early July, and that information is only released to the placed camps, and they only receive their own placement.

Just think of it as an adventure - you get to wander & discover instead of having a lot of set destinations. The What Where When guide you get at gate will give you info on some events that are happening, but it's a limited amount, and, being the playa, not everything in there happens when it says it will. I usually know where a couple of camps with friends are, and then see what pops up as I head to them. We also to a random wander through the back-streets, seeing what's there.

This is a good time to get into the mind-set of "it's Burning Man", which is both an exclamation ("holy shit did you see that flaming dragon sculture??" "it's Burning Man!!") and verbal shrug when things go wrong ("well fuck, my camera broke" "it's Burning Man" - which actually happened to me my first year. I had a better Burn because of it). Let the playadipity happen!

[Mod Note: We've closed this thread off and started a new one for the 2015 event. Check it out!]
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Previous

Return to Transportation