Waze Group for Burning Man 2013

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Waze Group for Burning Man 2013

Postby MrMullen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:01 pm

For those of you that use Waze, I have formed a "Burning Man 2013" group for all persons traveling to Burning Man. Join up and get reports and notices on what is on the way to Burning Man.

Edited: Apparently, I did not know what year it was! :oops:
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Re: Waze Group for Burning Man 2013

Postby littlebird » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

What a great idea! I'm definitely going to join. Thanks for setting that up!
littlebird

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Tone Age

Postby MrMullen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Thank You!

Make sure your passengers are the one reporting Cops and Speed Traps on the drive. The last thing we need are accidents on the 447 because someone was using their cell phone.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby AwesomeSauce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I and others have been unable to find this group. You may have to be closer to BRC to find it, who knows. So maybe search for groups when you get closer, if you don't see one where you are now. There is a big one I see in SF called "SF to Burning Man" and comes up when you search for the word "Burn"
AwesomeSauce

Burning Since: 2003

About Waze

Postby AwesomeSauce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Just FYI, been posted before but maybe old or tl;dr therefore fuck off. Also, if you were wondering what it is, it's an app for your smartphone or tablet.
http://www.waze.com/

It is updated realtime by users on things like police speed traps, etc.

Step 1: install app on phone or tablet. Step 2: Learn how to use. Step 3. Join Burning Man groups. Step 4: You get to fill out Steps 4 through ∞ yourself.

Protip: the closest navigation point I've found is to search for "Country Rd 34 Gerlach-Empire, NV". That's a lot of typing but you only have to do it once. I'll report back if I can figure out how to get a waypoint right at the gate.

Also if you doing see a Burning Man group in your groups search, try again when you're closer to BRC. They seem to be regionally limited.
AwesomeSauce

Re: About Waze

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Is there even enough -- or any -- cell reception that far out there to make that app even useful?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AwesomeSauce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes.
AwesomeSauce

Postby MrMullen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 pm

BBadger wrote:Is there even enough -- or any -- cell reception that far out there to make that app even useful?

Waze is reporting the traffic status for Nixon, Empire and Gerlach, so yes, that means there is data coverage out there that cell phones can send road and traffic status back to the Waze servers.

Join the "Burning Man 2013" group.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby MrMullen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:21 pm

AwesomeSauce wrote:I and others have been unable to find this group. You may have to be closer to BRC to find it, who knows. So maybe search for groups when you get closer, if you don't see one where you are now. There is a big one I see in SF called "SF to Burning Man" and comes up when you search for the word "Burn"

Damn, it looks like groups are regional and since I am in San Diego, only people close to me can join. That's a really horrible idea from Waze and extremely short sighted. Sorry everyone!
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby AwesomeSauce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 pm

There *are* people coming from your way! Regardless, numerous reports of a massive checkpoint on 395 at Bridgeport, FYI.
AwesomeSauce

Postby AwesomeSauce » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Also, cocks.
AwesomeSauce

Return to Transportation