Mutant Vehicle - Stability Jacks / Suspension Blocking

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Mutant Vehicle - Stability Jacks / Suspension Blocking

Postby mekkie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm

hi there! i'm designing / building a mutant vehicle called 'the bleachers' ( it's basically a roaming stadium fit for 80ish people built on a GMC 5T flatbed truck.. my question is with regards to suspension and stability mechanisms and designs. does any one have experience with this?? i'm planning to use 8,000 lb bulldog squaretube jacks ( ... 540&part=0) mounted at each corner. when stopped we would drop the jacks to relieve some load on the suspension but mainly to stop the whole truck from swaying. i estimate that each jack will see around 5000 lbs.

so yeah, i'm basically looking for feedback from anyone who has done something like this before.. does this look reasonable based on your experience? is there a better solution that you know of?

many thanks!!
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: the bleachers

Re: Mutant Vehicle - Stability Jacks / Suspension Blocking

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi and welcome to ePlaya. I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit for questions about preparation and construction. The 2013 Mutant Vehicle board is intended more for talking up on-playa plans. There are some great mechanical minds around here, hopefully someone will be able to chime in shortly with great info.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Mutant Vehicle - Stability Jacks / Suspension Blocking

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Well I'm a crane truck operator.
It looks as if all your weight is over your truck bed and you're using a plenty stout truck for the job - you'd be OK without outriggers at all, so I think your four outrigger jacks are more than adequate.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Return to Transportation