Rental Vans that can handle a bike rack?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Rental Vans that can handle a bike rack?

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm

This was a huge thorn in my ass last year. I got a car from Dollar or one of the big guys. It was fine and dandy, and affordable. However, I couldn't mount a bike rack on it, so had to remove the pedals of two bikes and throw them in the back. Highly unrecommended. It seems that towing, or putting anything on these cars is a huge no-no. Whether it's enforced or not is one thing, but generally some of the newer vans have that goofy ass spoiler on it which prevents the bike rack from attaching.

Anyone know of a good alternative in The Bay Area where I can pick and choose my features with pride, and not have to bullshit the sales agent about going to Yosemite?
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Rental Vans that can handle a bike rack?

Postby MikeGyver » Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 pm

I have no experience with the matter, but how about renting a van from Budget. Being a moving company they would expect some people to want to be able to tow.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby BBadger » Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Maybe just picking a better van at the lot? We rented a van one year and just attached one of those clip-on bike racks, taking care to put tape and tissue between the rack and the surface of the van. We fit 4x bikes on the rack that way, no disassembly.

Spoilers on vans... yeah, that's pretty stupid. I guess that's somewhat (not much) better than spoilers on the back of a bed of a pick-up truck...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm

BBadger wrote:Spoilers on vans... yeah, that's pretty stupid.

Well not necessarily. The aerodynamics are pretty turbulent at the back and those spoilers are often there for that reason... squeezing out another bit of MPG. Damn near everything about the shape of new vehicles has more to do with aerodynamics than function or style. That's why they're so ugly!

So... by "mount a bike rack" do you mean on a trailer-hitch receiver? I'm guessing that's not going to exist in the rental van world.
If you can rent a regular box-van moving style truck it probably won't even have a hitch receiver, they have a permanently affixed hitch ball. But they also have room inside for bikes, and you can hose it out after the burn.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby lemur » Thu May 16, 2013 6:06 pm

these things are said to reduce fuel usage by about 5%..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Sham » Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 pm

I always hope to get a roof rack on the vehicles I rent. The past few times I just strap my stuff to the roof by running straps through the windows. I put cardboard down to keep it from getting scratched.
Sham

Postby BBadger » Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
BBadger wrote:Spoilers on vans... yeah, that's pretty stupid.

Well not necessarily. The aerodynamics are pretty turbulent at the back and those spoilers are often there for that reason... squeezing out another bit of MPG. Damn near everything about the shape of new vehicles has more to do with aerodynamics than function or style. That's why they're so ugly!

That makes sense, though that spoiler on the mini pick-up truck was definitely not for MPG.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby kiss-o-matic » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 am

I probably should have been more clear, but it wouldn't have mattered. I would love to have mounted the bikes anywhere, but it wasn't happening.

1: No Roof rack
2: Spoiler on the back thing
3: No trailer hitch.

I asked about the trailer hitch and the lady gave me the stink eye and said, "it's in the contract you can't tow anything". :/

It was pretty much the only van they had at this one. I'd like to avoid that variable altogether and just rent one that I know will work. That one wasn't bad as the seats when into the floor (almost to levels of invisiblity) so it all worked out, but it was a huge pain in the ass. Would rather pay $50 and get a rack. Trailer hitch would work too, as a friend had one sorted out... just no way to lug it.
kiss-o-matic

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 17, 2013 5:47 am

Well quit renting mini vans to use as freight haulers!
Rent a truck not a passenger car and the skies will clear, the birds will sing, and your stuff will fit easily.
WTF.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am

If you rent some sort of vehicle with a spare tire on the back, there's racks to fit over the tire. The roof is a good option too, if you can get the bikes up there without scratching the crap out of the car.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby kiss-o-matic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:33 am

I kinda let this thread die.
The problem I've found w/ the big places is they usually don't rent anything w/ a spare on the back.

I guess another option would be a roof rack, or something w /a ton of space in it. I know shit about cars though. I've looked around for straight up "vans" at the big places, and they always show a minivan or full sized SUV.
kiss-o-matic

Return to Transportation