Lock your bikes!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Lock your bikes!

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am

It's all you've got sometimes.
If your bike matters, use a hoop lock through the frame and rear wheel.
If that won't work, use chain and a good lock.
There are some other tricks possible.
Locking front steering is a nice trick for ride a ways.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

gyre wrote:There are some other tricks possible.
Locking front steering is a nice trick for ride a ways.

(Note to self: Remember to bring Bait Bikes to ePlaya Meet-n-Greet on Wednesday evening.)
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 am

You can now put a hand gun in your pocket.. If some one is about (or you think they are) steal your bike.. It's OK to shoot them.. You must yell "hey you, What are you doing here" then shoot.. This precedence was set last week.. Just claim a Goe. Zimmerman moment and your home free.. They will even give your gun back..
unjonharley

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:07 pm

unjonharley wrote:.....Just claim a Goe. Zimmerman moment and your home free.. They will even give your gun back..

Too bad for Zim that ebay doesn't allow sale of arms.

I suppose he can license his name to Kel Tec... a limited edition of his gun would be a best seller.... (I'm afraid to even look on google to see if it is already a done deal.)
DoctorIknow

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm

martiansky - to answer your question, yes absolutely. In my opinion, 99% of bicycle theft on the playa is mostly lazy or non-sober people who are just looking to get from point A to point B easily, or have mistaken the bike for theirs (or a campmate's). Make your bike non-ridable, and they'll move on or realize the mistake.

I usually lock my trike up that way, or maybe looping through the frame/wheels of a campmate's bike as well as mine. The size of the trike isn't always convenient for bike racks, or I don't want to park deep in a crowded spot, so I just go that route and it's worked fine for me.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:22 pm

gyre wrote:Locking front steering is a nice trick for ride a ways.

Amusingly (mildly), I repaired a child's tricycle this morning, and it has a steering lock! (Well, it had one.) Not a lock actually, but a latch. Fancy-looking tricycle made in Germany. I guess Pater und Mutter might want to render the silly thing unrideable at nap time. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Interesting, Elliot.
Remember the make?

A lot of euro bikes have built in locks in the rear fork, but I'm told they are flawed.
gyre

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Despite mixed feelings about WalMart, I find their bike selection amazing... saw a beautiful, saddle-bagged, 3 speed (Shimano internal hub) big fat tired cruiser bike there for $94. Try buying even new tires, new tubes, new chain and a new seat for a $5 garage sale clunker for that price...

Anyway, they also have a $4.95 lock with a four letter combination, and as said many times in this thread, most bikes are probably only taken because they are unlocked: the "borrower" or thief only scans all the parked bikes looking for the ones with no locks, in which case a cheapo lock will most likely be fine.

Forget combination locks, and be suspect of key locks...your mind may forget the former and lose the latter.
DoctorIknow

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

DoctorIknow wrote: Forget combination locks, and be suspect of key locks...your mind may forget the former and lose the latter.

That's why I always write the combo on the back of my lock so I'll never worry about forgetting it!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

unjonharley wrote:You can now put a hand gun in your pocket.. If some one is about (or you think they are) steal your bike.. It's OK to shoot them.. You must yell "hey you, What are you doing here" then shoot.. This precedence was set last week.. Just claim a Goe. Zimmerman moment and your home free.. They will even give your gun back..

I hope you're joking, though to read some of the anti-gun nut propaganda, you might think anything happened.
I hope you know nothing like that happened at all.

It is legal in Texas to shoot a thief at night without warning, and without any risk to person.
Nowhere else.
He did do something wrong though.
He let an assailant make contact with him, and you fire before that.
So, rushed from behind?
Too soft hearted?

Lots of criminal activity related though.
Politicians everywhere attempting to obstruct and pervert justice, now calling to subvert double jeopardy law.
NBC caught deliberately editing tapes and lying about it.
The prosecution caught concealing 75% of the evidence from the defense (that we know of so far).
So a lot of people should be going to jail.
A disgraceful sham.
A lot of people owe him and the rest of the world an apology, starting with the president.

A lot of good came out of it though.
The lynch mob mentality of many people has been publicly displayed, and involving a non-white citizen too.
I see my city isn't the only one with rabid racism toward anyone not black or the correct shade of black.

And Trayvon put carry permits in the hands of millions of responsible citizens, black and white, in the free states.
Thanks for that.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
DoctorIknow wrote: Forget combination locks, and be suspect of key locks...your mind may forget the former and lose the latter.

That's why I always write the combo on the back of my lock so I'll never worry about forgetting it!

Whether you do it or not, that's still funny.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:... saw a beautiful, saddle-bagged, 3 speed (Shimano internal hub) big fat tired cruiser bike there for $94. Try buying even new tires, new tubes, new chain and a new seat for a $5 garage sale clunker for that price...

Be aware, though, that most of these components are of pathetic quality. Even the Shimano components are suspect, as Walmart has been known to simply buy the rights to use reputable names on lesser products.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm

gyre wrote:Interesting, Elliot.
Remember the make?

A lot of euro bikes have built in locks in the rear fork, but I'm told they are flawed.

Gyre, this is a small child's tricycle.

Frame locks on the rear "fork" are indeed common over there. Some bicycles come with it from the factory. I bought a bolt-on one in Norway in April, so you will be able to see one on the Playa.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:21 pm

They look good, but locksmiths criticize the execution.
I'm not sure why.
There are some dutch versions that aren't hard to get.
Supposed to be news exposes showing how easy they are to remove.
I love the idea of a built in.
gyre

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Martiansky wrote:I got to wondering.....scary as it is.....
If you ride out where theres nothing to lock your bike to, is it deterent enough to just run a cable through the wheels and frame(or if theres 2 bikes lock them together)if you walk away from it for awhile?

That's called freelocking and on the playa it should be OK. It keeps someone from riding it away, however, they can still carry it. I can't imagine anyone actually carrying a free-locked bike away in Black Rock City.

Just make sure you leave your bike where you can find it, like a landmark or lantern post, and not in the middle of the playa.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Martiansky wrote:I got to wondering.....scary as it is.....
If you ride out where theres nothing to lock your bike to, is it deterent enough to just run a cable through the wheels and frame(or if theres 2 bikes lock them together)if you walk away from it for awhile?

That's called freelocking and on the playa it should be OK. It keeps someone from riding it away, however, they can still carry it. I can't imagine anyone actually carrying a free-locked bike away in Black Rock City.

Just make sure you leave your bike where you can find it, like a landmark or lantern post, and not in the middle of the playa.

I didn't know there was a word for that! Awesome. :) I do it all the time, although I do know it's technically still more vulnerable to leave a bike that way than to actually lock it to something.

Still--it reduces the chances quite a bit. Most people who steal bikes just want a ride home to their camp and will then abandon the evidence. If they have to carry it, there's no point. :lol:

You'd (probably) have to have an awfully nice bike for someone to carry it away locked.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 pm

And a good lock is light.
I use a heavier grade hoop lock through the rear frame and wheel.
First time I stopped, someone tried to steal it.

Even if they do, the heavier lock is work to get off.
gyre

Previous

Return to Transportation