Dilemma for a BM Virgin: Best way to get there?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Dilemma for a BM Virgin: Best way to get there?

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:36 am

I have some friends going who encouraged me to get a ticket a friend was selling, and I did. I then mentioned that I just purchased a new car that had some room and flexibility for storing stuff. I volunteered to drive my car. Then I started doing research. LOL. Given I just purchased this car, and am not wealthy enough to buy a replacement any time soon...and need this vehicle for my regular life/job, am I an idiot if I drive my car? It seems to me there is no good way to get to BM.It also needs to be pointed out that these friends have camp sites purchased...but there is no more space for me to camp at that site. So, I'd have to seek out a spot somewhere else through means I am not aware of at the moment. As such, my plan was to sleep in my car-they do have a parking spot reserved for a car. But, if, as I suspect, I'd be a moron to take my new and only vehicle to BM, that leaves me in a tough spot. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Suffice it to say selling my ticket/not going at all is under strong consideration.
Thanks!
skyway34

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Dilemma for a BM Virgin: Best way to get there?

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am

I can't speak to the car issue, but plenty of people manage to take their car there without damage.

Also, do you have a tent? How big? One does not "purchase" a campsite at BM, they join a camp and pay dues. if they have room for your car and all you have is a small 4 man tent, you can probably find some room there or nearby. Are you paying camp dues?
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 am

It's gonna be dusty. The car isn't likely to be ruined. I'd worry mostly about camping in your car, friends that don't have room for you, friends that talk you into driving your new car while they have no room for you at camp, a sense of not really doing the research needed.

First off, you are camping in the desert. This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. Sleeping in the car will be insanely hot, or unbelievably dusty, but most likely alot of both. Do you plan to sleep with the window down? The car's interior will get dusty simply being there. This will not be easily washed away. But if you drive in, park it, mabe get a car cover over it or something, other than the dust, there shouldn't be a problem. Your car will be okay... Though that one year we did watch as an improptu mob engaged in alittle performance playa art and completely destroyed an un-attended car....

Anyway, the dust is gonna get your car, but that's the worst of it for the vehicle. The concern is your plans and gear for camping out in the desert. Do you have food plans? How much water do you need for the time you plan to be there. Knowing that important. And get a tent.

Hey, I have a trailer to go pick up, tomorrow it's on the road.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 am

Don't worry, you won't trash your car.
At least, no more than the other 60,000 the particpants.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 am

I posted a reply and it got lost somehow.

To make a long story short, yes, I am concerned that I am not prepared enough for this. We plan to leave Tuesday, so I have a few days to prepare. But, it seems daunting to say the least.

My friends said they paid $200 each for whatever "accomodations" they have. Might that be a camp they are paying dues to? I am ok pitching a tent in some random spot and making due on my own. I think. How many people pay that kind of money to join a camp? How many just drive out and pinch a tent somewhere and do fine?
skyway34

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Don't worry, you won't trash your car.
At least, no more than the other 60,000 the particpants.

LOL. Exactly. I mean, why should I care? It's only a brand new car that represents my only feasible way to get around to irrelevant places like work and the grocery store. If it gets trashed, irreparably damaged or destroyed by some wild gang of people like those mentioned above, so be it. Right?

I don't HAVE to drive my car. I can look into a rental, getting a ride from a stranger on the internet...or just not going at all. Seems like at this point in the game, the latter choice makes most sense.
skyway34

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

Zoom in and pick your spot...

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/66285/

Read the survival guide and first timers guide RIGHT NOW!!!

You can do this! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 am

FIGJAM wrote:Zoom in and pick your spot...

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/66285/

Read the survival guide and first timers guide RIGHT NOW!!!

You can do this! 8)

Haha. I'll take that spot down in the bottom right corner. Ya know, the one with a lot of sand and dust around it. Gosh, that was easy 8)
skyway34

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 am

Have you read the survival guide? You have very little time to get ready. You need to be self sufficient. You need 10 gallons of water, minimum. You need sunscreen. You need a week's worth of food. Don't expect your friend's camp to provide for you, especially if you haven't paid dues.

If you're getting in and out of your car multiple times a day, it'll get incredibly dusty inside and won't ever be the same. The air is dusty, and you will be dusty. All of my friends who burn have cars that tell the story, and they aren't even opened much on playa.

Ask your friend to check up on your preparations. This weekend should be very very busy for you.

You pretty much can't sell your ticket, there are hundreds available far below face value right now.

But you should definitely go. Your car has some chance of being damaged, but it will not be destroyed. After the fact, you'll be proud of that drift of playa dust under the seats.
maladroit

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am

Thank you for making me feel better about my preparedness.

Staying home sounds like the best bet for you. Should you decide to do this though, don't worry about being with a theme camp. Find a nice unreserved spot and plunk down. With no shade over your tent, you won't be spending much time in there anyway.

Get some extra long stakes for your tent. Home depot has 12 inch really thick nails or screws that can work in a pinch.

Get some food you don't have to cook. Canned tuna etc.

Get water. Lots of water.

Baby wipes. There are no showers provided.

Bowl, spoon and cup. Never show up at a bar without your cup.

Hat. Sunscreen. Something warm to wear at night.
VultureChow

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am

VultureChow wrote:Thank you for making me feel better about my preparedness.

Staying home sounds like the best bet for you. Should you decide to do this though, don't worry about being with a theme camp. Find a nice unreserved spot and plunk down. With no shade over your tent, you won't be spending much time in there anyway.

Aw don't tell them to stay home...let them read the survival guide and make their decision. Yes, you can die out there if you're unprepared. But it's also possible to scrape together the necessities in two days...everything else we work on for months or weeks is just luxury.

Maybe it's just the birgin talking, but I'd rather gift a meal to a bemused virgin sparklepony and hope they prepare better next year, than to deny them what is probably the biggest adventure available to the modern suburban wage slave.
maladroit

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 am

I've read the survivor's guide. Getting feedback with first hand experience obviously is invaluable.

That tickets are going for far below face value is revealing. There was quite a storm when tickets went on sale months ago and were sold out.

So, buy a tent, some thick stakes to secure it, 10 gallons of water, weeks worth of food not requiring preparation. For bathing, the water I bring, baby wipes bar soap etc?

This might be too much...
skyway34

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am

There IS a "Human Carcass" wash.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am

maladroit wrote:

Aw don't tell them to stay home...let them read the survival guide and make their decision. Yes, you can die out there if you're unprepared. But it's also possible to scrape together the necessities in two days...everything else we work on for months or weeks is just luxury.

Maybe it's just the birgin talking, but I'd rather gift a meal to a bemused virgin sparklepony and hope they prepare better next year, than to deny them what is probably the biggest adventure available to the modern suburban wage slave.

This decision to buy the ticket was made five days ago when I was drunk. I am not drunk at this moment. I can't see much benefit or personal growth out of being a "bemused virgin sparklepony" providing entertainment for everybody else. Saw wee
skyway34

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 am

FIGJAM wrote:There IS a "Human Carcass" wash.

Anybody need an extra ticket? I'm selling :D
skyway34

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

maladroit wrote:

You're right of course. Though I think that a poorly prepared burn could be a big factor in the OP not enjoying it.

In any event, it's an interesting thought experiment. If I had 2 days to prepare for BRC from scratch, how would I do it?

Shelter
Water
Food
Clothing
Transportation

Skyway: I'm in Barbie Death Village. Roughly 3:45 and G street. I'm right behind a 40 foot bright orange crocheted fence. I'd be happy to grill you a steak. Or Just some veggies if that's the way you roll.
VultureChow

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

Stick with your drunken decision, it'll be the best one you made in your life. Aside from drunken decisions you might make on the playa.

Watch out for your friend, though, if they sold that ticket to you at face value. LOL.

There are willful sparkle ponies, and there are people who honestly tried. Get a tent, more water than you think you need, a box of all the random toiletries in your house, plus a pile of granola bars and Chef Boyardee.

If you're camping near 9:00 and D, I'll help you out.
maladroit

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am

You will find people to help you. Just be humble and thankful. And face it. You can always leave if you absolutely loathe it.
VultureChow

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:37 am

"You are not beat untill you quit!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks guys. I tend to be very minimalist and can survive on little and with little space/stuff. Of course, BM is an all new world for me.
The ticket I was sold was a $390. I gave her $335 and told her I'd give her the last bit later. I don't know the girl I bought it from but friends I'm going with do. Probably no need to worry about that last $55?

So, with regard to pooping and what to do with it...
skyway34

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 am

Note: Most of the concern here is for you and your supplies, not the car. First hand advise doesn't really see that danger. There really isn't that big of threat to your vehicle. It will get dusty. No gangs of roving ravers is gonna thrash it. Worse case is some minor finish scratching from wind storms. Cover the car. Do not camp in it. That will increase how dusty the inside of the car gets. You sound like you have the gear. Go for it. You can always go, and leave early, and regret it the rest of your life, rather than start with that regret now. It's dusty as fuck. That's gonna be the thing freakin you out with a new car.

I remember the tune I heard playing one late night out near 2, "I'm gonna shit in a ba-ag, I'm gonna shit in a bag."

As for pooping.... Plenty of porta potties, read up, only human waste and one-ply tissue in the hole. Or, bring your own porta-john, and shit in a bag.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am

It seems that you've gotten the impression that we all have extra SUVs and flat bed trucks and own a couple of luxury cars that we all drive to get to our CEO offices.
Some people rent vehicles to get to the Burn. Consider doing that if you're worried about you car.
You'll be astonished at what people really drive into the desert. I drive an 84 Sentra to my first burn. It came back fine. Then I wrecked it.

So relax and enjoy your doom.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

skyway34 wrote:So, with regard to pooping and what to do with it...

Are you sure you read the survival guide? Or did you just briefly glance through it?
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby plantmandan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 pm

So your "friends" encouraged you to buy a ticket, want a ride in your car, and then told you there is space in their camp for your car but not for you?

Go.

Without them.
plantmandan

Burning Since: 2002

Postby BBadger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:27 pm

What many people don't understand about motor vehicles is that the way you get the most value out of them is to drive them until they absolutely die. On the way you'll also learn how to upkeep them, another great skill to add to your repertoire. So you're on your way now--not to killing your vehicle in an extraordinary fashion--but getting the most out of your vehicle. The dust isn't going to hurt much, and you'll get to tell people about your wonderful trip each time they notice its unwashed state. Remember, you can always fix your car or dust it off in real life, or reward your car with its first car wash. It's YOUR car, drive it into the ground and use it as the tool it is.

Follow Lonesomebri's advice: don't worry about your car, worry about your supplies and surviving the week. Also each BM is a once-in-a-lifetime event, even though it is reoccurring. If you go at a later date, you'll regret not going this year--especially when you're using the same car. You won't even think about your car later in the week; you'll be having so much fun.

What will not be fun is if you aren't prepared. Other than food/water supplies, get a shade structure or sleeping is going to suck. It can be as simple as a silvered tarp you attach to your car so you can sleep next to it. That'll also help you avoid all that dust getting inside the car.

Oh, and make sure you get the gas money from these carpooling friends. It's the least they can do.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby skyway34 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Friends arranged a while ago to go. I don't usually go on adventures with them. They did offer to get my car detailed after.

Agree about getting the most out of a car. But, I need it to last me a while. This trip would obviously shorten its life.
skyway34

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Not at all.

Realy....no... it... won't.

It will get dusty, but haveing it detailed when you get back will fix that. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Kire » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

you should do it, put in the effort with the time you have left. I had a chance to go 3 years ago and only started going 2 years ago, wish i would have had that other year's of experience and enjoyment. I took my vehicle out there my first year and its still running strong today (wasn't new then but didn't matter). When i got home i cleaned thoroughly and changed the air filter and never looked back, no issues and no problems. in addition to the survival guide cruise through threads on here when you're not getting stuff ready, tons of info. go go go.
Kire

Burning Since: 2010

Postby danibel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

skyway34 wrote:Friends arranged a while ago to go. I don't usually go on adventures with them. They did offer to get my car detailed after.

Agree about getting the most out of a car. But, I need it to last me a while. This trip would obviously shorten its life.

Yay for the friends offering a detail job! That is a good thing. The car will be FINE. I agree, buy a tent, put sunshades in the car windows and DO NOT OPEN IT WHILE THERE, except to unload and load. Double check the windows are up! My boyfriend left his truck cab window down a tiny crack one year and didn't realize it till he got in to get ready to leave. There was a thick layer of dust all over the inside. Some of it is still there today. Armour All Leather Wipes gets rid of the last bit of dust on the dash/plastic.

I have campmates that bring their "every day" car every year. We laugh when it rains and some dust runs down the paint. It's like the gift that gives all year round!

I do not recommend attaching a tarp to the car, if it comes loose it will rub the car paint and "ruin." Your car.

Bring an extra sheet to cover your bed during the day, roll it up and get in bed go to sleep. When you wake up at 7am in a sweltering hot tent, get out, unroll sheet, ZIP UP TENT, go find a coffee camp.

A bike is a nice thing to have as well. There is lots of shade, and worst case you spend a lot of time at center camp napping on a couch.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby CitizenRandom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 pm

The BEST WAY to get there is to Change your additude- Its scarry trying new things- you have to be really clear about your choises when you attend this event IF you are lucky enough to attend this event- and I can understand your personal sudden misgivings- THERE ARE A MILLION CHOISES you can make that will change every worse case senario that you are affraid of- and that comes with prioritys and preperation and learning to just fucking let go-
It falls under radical self reliance- if you use YOUR own will and do some searching for possibvle answers as it appears you have here on the e-snarky- you will still be potentially involved in some to much odd feelings and discomfort- boundry issues and by the back of your ticket you are bitching that you bought- ready TO ASSUME all responsibility for yourself in this hellishly delishious DEADY CITY - that only you as a participant can be held accountable for your personal experiance or DEATH. your car will get dusty- yopur camp mates will suck- YOU ARE THAT MORON- SO ARE WE!!! FOR @% 25 frickin years- except for the dead ones- and we just cant stop doin it-
WHAT can you do to at this time and very last minute- make it feel more like your in control?
make some choise- or choose NOT to make choises- its your thing Baby-
handle it-
I suggest- sheets and a nifty new set of goggles from ARMY navy- spend a few hours after your REAL JOB reading the website and the links and FIGURE IT THE FUCK OUT- youll be fine
Or you wont-
But you will definatly be a changed child when you set one foot on the playa floor
-and then when you return-
GROW UP!
But you came to the right place- Burningman is a BAD IDEA for snivlers and those who aint got the stones to just do it-
youll feel vindicated once youve volunteered- Then youll OWN the city rather than RENTED a piece
and you can look down your dust clotted booger locker at the Money glutted campmates
who dragged you here for really doing the Burn in Authentic triffecta death defying traditions-
If you cant imagine looking like such a clown- why you commin to the circus-?
Change yer expectations-
read and understand your 10 principles
or when you get here-
wonder over to DPW getto and ask them about Goodways and real jobs- and loving stuff-
They like touchy feely personal chats- ive found..just say it with wiskey-..or DUCK!
Congrads on the new car- if you dont want it dusty find an answer- if you dont want it fucked up - dont swerve for bunnys- and if you dont want to be a ride slave- drive up ALONE.
Check your map for open camping- dont stand in the middle of the road crying and peeing your pants- youll draw attention to yourself as a dimbulb- be a bright one like on your ticket- smile when we say Welcome Home- and ask where the cool non theme camping is- ifits up or down this street
and for fuck sake- STAY OFF THE GODDAMN ESPLINADE-
thats such a give away as to who is NEW and obviously foolish
but then this is a fools bagain and a fools paradise
go get those goggles lil buddy and fuck yer day- thats how the big kids say HI!
your luck your goin now can it and keep packin
if you need more pep talk read DR. Suesses Oh The Places Youll Go-
its a great fit.
yours in the flame
CitizenRandom

Next

Return to Transportation