My cooler is oversize baggage! Freaking out

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: My cooler is oversize baggage! Freaking out

Postby Hoolie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

Buying a new, smaller cooler for 30-40 bucks seems preferable to a $100 (times two) oversize baggage fee. You may even be able to borrow one from a friend. Most people have a cooler of some sort.

I use a cooler that is a bit smaller than the one you linked. It serves two people for the full week, and space has never been an issue. Most of the food we bring doesn't need to be kept cold, and is stored in a regular plastic bin. Maybe you need to rethink your menu for the week?
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am

Esteban Ohh wrote:what??! thats not enough for just food and ice for two people for 6 days 5 nights? worst case would be having to buy ice everyday but still ...

I'm just gonna throw out a little bit of advice, with minimal snark, since it seems you need a good quality answer.

You already have an issue if you are planning to use 1 cooler for everything.... especially for 6 days.
That 50quart is a good size for your beer.... or your food.... But not both!
Standard camping technique is minimum 2 coolers. One for drinks (beer, soda, chaser, water, individual packaged Juice) the second cooler for food and drinks that can spoil (V8, jug of OJ).
The beer cooler will be opened at least 3 times more often than the food cooler.
Coolers gain heat everytime they are opened.
The beer/drink cooler only needs to keep drinks cold, the food cooler needs to keep food from spoiling/rotting.

Unless of course, you plan to only have your food cold, and leave your drinks to get warm...

EDIT: Forgot my point,
To plan to use only one cooler is a mistake. You will need two coolers... To buy 2 of the coleman coolers at walmart will be like 60-70 bucks. Which is still cheaper than $100x2.

Also, I would skip the cooler with wheels. You will loose cooler space to the wheel well, and its not like you're rolling your cooler all over the place anyway. You load it in the vehicle, then you unload it in BRC. Those wheels wont work around the city anyway. I have this cooler and I'm extremely happy with it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/4807332?findingMethod=rr
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 am

Esteban Ohh wrote:i think Roberto's frustration comes from the fact I've been "burning since 2006" so i shold know better by now.

Funny. I think Roberto's frustration comes from being an important part of a very large theme camp and coming from new york on a motorcycle. I mean that what you said is true, but there's more to it than just that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:33 am

Buy two coolers in Reno and fill them there. Food and drinks should be in separate coolers for the very reasons already given. You cannot possibly be bringing any food or beer so special it must be flown in. When you leave, make arrangements to give away the coolers.

There, that was not so difficult.

Sell your current cooler, or return it. Coolers on wheels are just asking to be stolen.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Now you've done it. Foxfur is going to want that kitty...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm

AntiM wrote:Buy two coolers in Reno and fill them there. Food and drinks should be in separate coolers for the very reasons already given. You cannot possibly be bringing any food or beer so special it must be flown in. When you leave, make arrangements to give away the coolers.

There, that was not so difficult.

Sell your current cooler, or return it. Coolers on wheels are just asking to be stolen.

Good argument -- unless you have bizarre dietary requirements, Reno/Sparks has plenty of food & shit, and the org wants you to spend there. Make a realistic shopping list and stick to it. Bring canned beer and use Recycle Camp in a timely manner. Pretty likely to find someone in your camp neighborhood to take the coolers if you make them look pretty. Fancy coolers on wheels scream either "valuable isotopes", "valuable human organs", or "motherfucking snakes on a plane".

Another strategy -- if you expect to produce a couple sacks worth of garbage and failed costumes, buy cheap coolers, duct tape your trash in them, and pay on the drive out to dump them in Nixon or wherever.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Geebus...buy the cooler in Reno...fill it there...????
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Box Burner » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

CapSmashy wrote:Image

Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Previous

Return to Transportation