How to handle RV insurance? Big problem

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

How to handle RV insurance? Big problem

Postby johninchina » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:21 pm

I reserved an RV back in February and now the company (Affordable RV near Sacramento) wants a letter from an insurance company stating that the specific RV we rent will be covered for up to $100k because we're going to BM. They suggested calling our car insurance company to get the coverage, but none of us own a car (and thus have no car insurance). How do you solve this?

My credit card covers rental cars but not RVs.. I saw one solution on this board to buy a full insurance policy as if you own the RV and pay month to month and cancel it after you get back... I checked with an insurance agent and they said you might be able to get a company to issue a policy this way but if anything ever happened you would "absolutely be guaranteed to have no coverage" ..because obviously you don't really own the RV.

I've seen a number of posts about "non owned policy coverage" issued by third parties.. but it's only been discussed in theory and I haven't seen anyone actually finding a company that does this.... and if they did I can't imagine how much $100k of coverage would cost.. especially if they knew what you were doing with the RV.

Has anyone solved this? Last year our company did not require this..
johninchina

Burning Since: 2011

Re: How to handle RV insurance? Big problem

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:26 pm

you dont have the option of buying insurance directly from them anymore? if it's because you already mentioned BM (tisk tisk) maybe tell them your plans changed and you're going camping in Tahoe instead. clean the RV up including engine before returning it and i dont see how they would know you went.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

It's very very hard to clean up an RV after burning man without the renter knowing. In my experience they need to be professionally cleaned.
Captain

Postby Rice » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:you dont have the option of buying insurance directly from them anymore? if it's because you already mentioned BM (tisk tisk) maybe tell them your plans changed and you're going camping in Tahoe instead. clean the RV up including engine before returning it and i dont see how they would know you went.

Many rental companies have GPS trackers hidden in their rental vehicles. They also really, really, really do not want their vehicles driven on non-paved roads.

Not mentioning Burning Man is always the best starting point. :shock:
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I've never had an issue insuring a vehicle I didn't own.

100K?
A bit over the top, or is it that nice an rv?
gyre

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby johninchina » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 am

Hi, thanks for all of the replies... the solution posted isn't an option fro us because we don't own cars and therefore don't have a car insurance policy that could provide the coverage. Any other options? It seems I'm not the only one with this problem.
johninchina

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 am

I've done this when I didn't have other insurance.
gyre

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 am

We are starting to see personal ownership of vehicles decline in Americans in teens and 20's and the emergence of car sharing. But the rental industry has not kept up. Between comprehensive, damage to others, medical and liability, the coverage will be much more than 100K. Parental policy? Another driver with an existing policy? You might also read the fine print on withdrawing from the contract, or finding someone else to take your reservation. Certainly the probability of an accident to and from is non-zero.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby DustHand » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 am

Had this problem in 2010. 4 of us went, only one could get insurance. No one else's insurance would provide the "binder" on an RV. I think he had State Farm. I'm with GEICO (for a long time, and several cars, ATV, motorcycle...) and they told me no way on a rental RV. He had to do all of the driving. It was only a couple of years old, and I think they required $150,000 policy. (it was a really nice RV...)

Last year, he just bought a late 80's RV for the same price as renting for 2 years...so this will be year 2 in his RV, and since he owns it, no more insurance issues.

My wife and I did an east coast trip last year with one of the big rental companies, and they provided an insurance option. Apparently a lot of the smaller companies or individuals that rent their machines require you to get your own insurance, which can be difficult, as we found.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution. If you do, please post...
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby johninchina » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Just to follow up... sadly did not find any solutions here or on the internet as a whole. We spoke to countless companies, including trying to work out a solution with the RV company, but really got nowhere and it looks like we're just going to lose the reservation - and our deposit - and have to start all of our planning from scratch (after booking our RV in February). What a horrible shame.

The most helpful company we spoke to was an insurance company called MBA, which does at times offer "Personal RV Rental Insurance" but they must have some sort of an agreement with the RV rental company.. and they explained the reason why small RV rental companies just prefer to not get involved and leave the responsibility to the renters.. even if it means losing business.

So here is what we learned:

1) If you are renting an RV, and don't have your own car insurance, you can only rent an RV from one of the largest national operators.. which tend to be the ones that also hate burning man and lead to the majority of the horror stores here (last year we rented with cruise america, meticulously cleaned the thing and like others we were charged $1500 IN ADDITION TO LOSING OUR DEPOSIT.. to "replace the entire air conditioning system").

2) If you do have a car, but you have Geico insurance, you're also out of luck.
johninchina

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 pm

boy oh boy what a fucking nightmare! i feel for you brotha, chin up!
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Elderberry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 pm

johninchina wrote:Just to follow up... sadly did not find any solutions here or on the internet as a whole. We spoke to countless companies, including trying to work out a solution with the RV company, but really got nowhere and it looks like we're just going to lose the reservation - and our deposit - and have to start all of our planning from scratch (after booking our RV in February). What a horrible shame.

The most helpful company we spoke to was an insurance company called MBA, which does at times offer "Personal RV Rental Insurance" but they must have some sort of an agreement with the RV rental company.. and they explained the reason why small RV rental companies just prefer to not get involved and leave the responsibility to the renters.. even if it means losing business.

So here is what we learned:

1) If you are renting an RV, and don't have your own car insurance, you can only rent an RV from one of the largest national operators.. which tend to be the ones that also hate burning man and lead to the majority of the horror stores here (last year we rented with cruise america, meticulously cleaned the thing and like others we were charged $1500 IN ADDITION TO LOSING OUR DEPOSIT.. to "replace the entire air conditioning system").

2) If you do have a car, but you have Geico insurance, you're also out of luck.

The only thing I don't understand is loosing your deposit. Did they not explain this insurance thing to you upon signing the agreement?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:08 am

Captain wrote:It's very very hard to clean up an RV after burning man without the renter knowing. In my experience they need to be professionally cleaned.

Hard, but not impossible. After our cleanup I can't even tell it went to the playa. I also don't mention Burning Man...duh! I say we may be traveling thru parts of the West where dust storms are likely...if there happens to be a bit of dust here and there.

Also, every RV rental agency I've ever used, from national chains to mom & pop, have always offered their own insurance coverage...for an additional fee of course...but not this one? Curious? They make big bucks off this stuff.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Transportation