Bicycle Pegs

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Bicycle Pegs

Postby beachlife » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm

yeah or neah?

met the inventor of passenger pegs the other day on the boardwalk - looks rather comfy for riding a friend around - http://passengerpegs.com/
beachlife

Re: Bicycle Pegs

Postby Elderberry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I think, based on what I hear, that it is going to be hard enough just driving yourself around the playa on a bicycle this year, let alone having another 150 pounds to haul through the dusty playa.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BurnerSkunk » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Been looking for exactly this, but doesnt look like they will work on the back my mountain bike :(
BurnerSkunk

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

I had a friend with pegs in '06 - the playa wasn't too bad and he hauled my heavy self around one day on them. It was fun, but a bit of work for him.
(I don't remember why we thought it was a good idea, other than the fact I got to cling to his gorgeous body. Oh, wait, that might have been why I thought it was a good idea...).

This year I think they'd be near useless at best, unless you have super wide tires & the person you're pegging is a child.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby skippy3k » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Yeah, we are bringing our tandem again this year. Worked great last year. This year I will have to keep looking back to make whoever is behind me is earning their keep.

But seriously, it's not just hauling the extra weight, it's also the balancing which can get tricky in some spots in the playa. Even though I had the benefit of a second set of legs pedaling, there were a few white-knuckle moments try to navigate the soft stuff.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Nipple » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Eric wrote:unless ...the person you're pegging is a child.

Brain broken.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby beachlife » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

BurnerSkunk wrote:Been looking for exactly this, but doesnt look like they will work on the back my mountain bike :(

local bike shop says I'd need to replace my wheel+axle to allow pegs on a mountain bike. May not be in the cards this year
beachlife

Postby Elderberry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Is somebody pegging a child?! :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Rice » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 pm

skippy3k wrote:Yeah, we are bringing our tandem again this year. Worked great last year. This year I will have to keep looking back to make whoever is behind me is earning their keep.

But seriously, it's not just hauling the extra weight, it's also the balancing which can get tricky in some spots in the playa. Even though I had the benefit of a second set of legs pedaling, there were a few white-knuckle moments try to navigate the soft stuff.

2011 was a highly unusual year weather wise. There have already been some decent dust storm (reports from DPW & Gate peeps)...

At the moment the playa looks like it has oodles of small dunes. Once a few thousand people have trampled over it, it will be dust. Hopefully not as bad as in 2008, but only time will tell.

The tandem bike is a cool idea. Does that bike have wide tires??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby skippy3k » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Oh, I know we were lucky last year. It was a freeway on the playa.

Our tandem is like a cheap cross-country kind of tandem so it has wider tires and more gears than I need. It was a Craigslist find for $60. One of the big advantages is whoever is on the back can take in all the scenery and sights as we cruise camps and art without having to pay attention to such things as steering, brakes, gearing, navigation, etc. (Sadly, I am rarely on the back.) We also can't get separated in the dark with the other 50,000 bikes with EL wire. The downside is we both need to agree on where we are going. Still, it's hard to imagine going back to two bikes now.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Some passenger options by xtracycle.
Their longtails are obviously more stable with passengers than most bikes.

http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles ... ngers.html
gyre

Postby Hoolie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 am

I'm planning on getting some BMX pegs for my next playa outing. It's a cheap mod that can be very useful. I wish I had them in '10 when my girlfriend's bike got stolen. We rigged up a seat on a rear rack for me to pedal her around, but it was difficult. Pegs would have been easier. I also think it would be nice to have them to offer the occasional ride. I've given people rides from point A to point B, but it's tricky when they're sitting on my seat and I'm standing on the pedals. Again, pegs would be easier. One could also make friends this way. If I'm riding out in the deep playa, and I see a lone figure slogging back toward the city, I could offer them a lift.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Transportation