Transport from playa airport to camp

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Transport from playa airport to camp

Postby airbag » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 am

Hello, I can't find any info on getting from the playa airport to the camp grounds. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
According to this, there are baggage wagons but not much detail further than that.
airbag

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Fractal Nation

Re: Transport from playa airport to camp

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 am

Walk. There is no transportation provided. You probably won't have much to carry because of the baggage restrictions on most of the small planes flying in anyway.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby airbag » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see anything about baggage restrictions. I'll have a bunch of luggage like tents, costumes, bike etc and from what I understand the Playa is quite massive so walking with all the gear would be a bit of a challenge. I guess make a few trips back/forth if there is no other alternative.
airbag

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 am

airbag wrote:Thanks for the reply. I didn't see anything about baggage restrictions. I'll have a bunch of luggage like tents, costumes, bike etc and from what I understand the Playa is quite massive so walking with all the gear would be a bit of a challenge. I guess make a few trips back/forth if there is no other alternative.

Depending on where you camp, it could be more than a mile. You might need to have a plan.

Have you read the survival guide? http://survival.burningman.com/

Make sure that you have easy and quick access to your goggles and dust mask. It is really dusty this year!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:55 am

I suggest you contact your carrier and check about the luggage. I don't understand it all, but apparently small aircraft at 4,000 feet don't like a lot of baggage. You may need to find another way to get your gear on and off the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I suggest you contact your carrier and check about the luggage. I don't understand it all, but apparently small aircraft at 4,000 feet don't like a lot of baggage. You may need to find another way to get your gear on and off the playa.

I did a quick google, found a Reno based service offering flights to BRC. The following was posted:
All Cessna T206H Turbo Stationair prices are valid only for flights at the capacity of three to four (3-4) passengers or no more than a total of 680 pounds including all baggage. The Turbo 207 aircraft offers space for larger parties of up to six (6) passengers or no more than a total of 970 pounds including all baggage.

So, if 4 people totaling 680 pounds - that is only 170 pounds per person (including luggage), I weigh 190 pounds...

Perhaps airbag has their own plane? Yikes, a virgin landing at BRC airport... I hope he/she has looked at the BRC airport web page: http://www.portofentry.org/
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 am

Flying into BRC......... you might catch some flack for that.
airdrop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:55 am

Our other fine commenters are correct that the weight and bulk you will be able to bring is highly constrained. I'm pretty sure the baggage wagons are only for bringing items from the plane to the terminal. If they went out to the camps, they would surely disappear. You can't drive the baggage cart from your local airport home either.

It is a good walk from the airport to the city, about a mile as the flaming arrow flies to center camp. There are mutant vehicles that visit from time to time, and sometimes yellow bikes are about. I would use the dodgy international border crossing method which I have had the opportunity to apply on other continents. And remember that the BRC Galactic Spaceport is among the dodgiest, with it's own humiliations, inspections and harassment!

Arrive, don't be in a hurry, chat up the highly professional and fun loving spaceport staff, then gently inquire about transport. Or set your self up in the airport bar with your back to the wall, your light saber at ready and keep and eye out for visiting MV's.

Or just use your sat phone to summon the limo from your PnP camp. More likely, get to your camp on foot and bring back a bike with a trailer.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 am

Burning sky takes like 20 skydivers out to the airport about every hour.

The tram would be coming back to camp empty, so maybe you could hitch a ride.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 am

Good point Mr Figjam!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby trilobyte » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am

Unless you're paying an even crazier premium to fly to the BRC airport from Reno than the already crazy premium to fly to BRC, you probably have a lot less capacity to bring gear with you than you think. Make calls, get confirmtions, that way you won't find yourself either paying a lot more to sort it on the day or just having to leave stuff behind. I've known a few people who've flown in over the years, all of them generally fly in with minimal gear and have campmates haul the rest.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

Are you camping alone or with others?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Are you camping alone or with others?

probably alone, if there is no one else.

just guessing, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby airbag » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Wow thanks for all the replies! What a helpful community :-)
My friend and i are arriving via own plane. Capacity is fine therefore. Camping with Fractal Nation.
I love all the suggestions so far. Might use the folding bikes that we are bringing with us on the plane to ferry the luggage or wait for the skydivers or MVs.
airbag

Postby Token » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Best way, since you got cargo capacity is this:

Pack a couple small coolers, one with Icecream and frozen grapes, the other one with ice cold beer and cocktails. Set up in the shade of the airport lounge and mix some drinks for the fine staff and have a party.

Before you know it you will have a ride to camp in style.

Bring a bunch of pint sized flasks of premium whiskey as a thank you token for folks that help you out.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Token wrote:Best way, since you got cargo capacity is this:

Pack a couple small coolers, one with Icecream and frozen grapes, the other one with ice cold beer and cocktails. Set up in the shade of the airport lounge and mix some drinks for the fine staff and have a party.

Before you know it you will have a ride to camp in style.

Bring a bunch of pint sized flasks of premium whiskey as a thank you token for folks that help you out.

If I get all this, I'll be happy to give them a lift.

DP
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 am

Think third world refugee camp.
Then make arrangements, as possible.

The airport has had transport in the past.
I have no idea if it still has, or how it worked, if it did.

Practice the usual handy phrases -

The porter has stolen my luggage.

Where can I hide?

Do you have something to mop up the blood?

Can you help me upright my aerocraft?
gyre

Postby Token » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 am

dragonpilot wrote:
If I get all this, I'll be happy to give them a lift.

DP

Works great when you need to cut to the front of any line as well.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Return to Transportation