New route from LA?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

New route from LA?

Postby develdevil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:25 pm

Quick rundown:

There is an article about how to get from LA to BRC: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... o_brc.html

It lays out 3 different routes and gives opinions on each. The route labeled "The American Dream" is preferred.

HOWEVER!

When I map out the directions on Google Maps, the shortest route is different than any listed in the article: http://goo.gl/maps/ShRo (Yes, I'm going from Simi Valley)

So, my question is: has anyone done this route and can they provide some input on if it is advisable or not?
develdevil

Burning Since: 2012

Re: New route from LA?

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:19 pm

The shortest route is not necessarily the quickest route. i cannot speak to taking the 182 option, but that choice would not alleviate the steep grades North of Bishop and especially North of Lee Vining. If you are just traveling light, that would probably be an okay route. But most of us are overloaded and those grades are the reason to go East on U.S. 6 from Bishop and catch U.S. 95.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 pm

I take that route, and i like it. Yes there are some grades, but not killer ones. Not having taken the 6 out of bishop i cant compare the two, however we stop in lee vinning and eat at nicely's restaurant. Damn good chicken fried steak, and even better pie. Ranger magnum approved :D
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby daft » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Prefer 14 to 395 to the 80. The 5 bores me silly.
daft

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am

I posted break-downs of the mileage, elevation gain and other factors for several routes to Burning Man.

You might want to see the post on that in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42974#p706120

By the way, are you sure that is the right search result? For me it is displaying the American Dream route:
Origin: Los Angeles
Route: US-395 to Bishop, US-395 to Reno, SR-447 to Gerlach
portaplaya

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Coming from SD Google tells me to do 15N to 215N to 395N to 182N (in Bridgeport), changes to 338 at CA/NV border, 208N in Smith Valley, then 339N, which changes to 95N in Yerington, then 447N in Fernley, then 34 in Gerlach, then Entrance Rd.

Idk, that sounds crazy to me. I was thinking of doing 15N, 215N, 15N, 395N, 80E to Fernley, then pick up where the one above connects. It depends on when I leave, but one main reason for doing this is so I could stop and sleep in Reno for a few hours (assuming I leave home Tuesday afternoon), then wake up early and get to BRC around daylight or early morning.

I'm open to suggestions, and will look around for other ideas. I'd like to avoid those Indian reservations that people mention related to speeding tickets, but I'm not sure where those are on the map and which routes traverse them.

Cheers!!
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby portaplaya » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Earthwalker wrote:I'd like to avoid those Indian reservations that people mention related to speeding tickets, but I'm not sure where those are on the map and which routes traverse them.

Spooky Desert (http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... oky_desert) is the route that Burning Man recommends avoiding due to misbehavior by Tribal Police when you go east of Bishop. Schurz, NV on US-95 (near Yernington) was the specific place were incidents were reported.
portaplaya

Postby Trishntek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, if you are a camp's mother ship, flat is better than foothills and foothills are better than mountain passes. If you are by yourself with nothing but stuff for yourself, have a ball and go whichever way yanks your crank!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Is anybody else ever tempted to respond with: Yeah, they cut a brand new road just for you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Are you the kind of person who follows your GPS directions to a T?

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm the type of person that wishes he could have intimate relations with my gps. I call her Susan and sometimes have her read directions to Taos to me so i can fall asleep, but it's never enough
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby sariboos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Question for you: Would you happen to have room for a paying passenger? I am desperately trying to find a ride from LA! I'm a first time burner, I weigh 116 pounds, don't smoke, am super cool to travel with, and don't have a ton of stuff, but enough to fill a car. Sadly, my own car will NOT make it! I will pay for gas and bring awesome car snacks! Let me know! Thanks... :)
Sariboos :)
sariboos

Camp Name: Chakralicious

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:29 pm

sariboos wrote:Question for you: Would you happen to have room for a paying passenger?

Last post on this question was a year ago. You are chatting up a dead thread...
portaplaya

Return to Transportation