Leaving on Saturday After the Burning of the Man

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Leaving on Saturday After the Burning of the Man

Postby soiree » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am

Hi guys!

I am curious as to the adventure / ballache of leaving/exodus ; specifically on Saturday night directly after the burning of the Man.

I have to get an international flight on Sunday late morning from Reno airport, so need need to get there.

Can anyone tell me:
- how long the waiting in line would be?
- What time the burn starts and finishes (roughly)?
- possibilities of hitching at that time to Reno.

Thanks!
soiree

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Leaving on Saturday After the Burning of the Man

Postby JovReef » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 am

We left the morning after the man burned last year. Took about 3 hours to get to Reno.

I think you are going to find a huge variance in "what time the burn ends" Some people leave after the man falls, some stay for the rubble burning.

I'm sure someone else will have more helpful answers.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill
JovReef

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Postby portaplaya » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:41 pm

So I decided to check the timestamps on my photos from last year:
http://www.hieroglyphphotography.com/Bu ... urn-Night/

The crowd crush around the Man started at about 10:30, so that might be a good time for a walk back to camp. I could look up when the Burn started (about 9:30pm), but not sure that is relevant, since you are definitely staying to watch it.

If you are packed, you could be in the line for Exodus between 11:30 and midnight. Traffic while the Man is burning is non-existent, but builds to a 1-2 hours mob in the hour after Man-fall. And it will be a mob. The pulsing system for regulating outflow does not start until Sunday morning, about 8am I think.

Good luck!
portaplaya

Postby International Incident » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

If you are hitching then you should find a decent number of people leaving really early on Sunday morning or late sat night make yourself a sign and if you are ready with your gear either after the man burns or at 6am you "should" be fine.

I was on the exodus crew from 6am Sunday last year - the traffic was steady but not "too" bad really early on Sunday.

Alternately, ask around your neighbors - you will find someone who is heading your way with the appropriate time frame.

Hope that helps
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby portaplaya » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:20 pm

melaniejane wrote:If you are hitching then you should find a decent number of people leaving really early on Sunday morning or late sat night ...

I really can't recommend trying to catch a ride by luck and fate when you are expecting to catch an international flight out of Reno at the end of your ride. I was working Exodus when a van full of Israelis decided to jump the queue and head straight for the exit because they were going to miss their flight. That does not go over well with Gate, nor with the BLM and other law enforcement. Don't set yourself up for a freak-out; plan your departure by locking down your ride out of the event before you get there.

You can arrange a ride through rideshare posts at the event, if need be. But better to use the rideshare posting board on the main Burning Man website: http://rideshare.burningman.com/ridesha ... -man-2012/
portaplaya

Return to Transportation