Burning Bikes ?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Burning Bikes ?

Postby bongdick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Greetings burners! I can't wait to get back to the playa.

Last year as I was driving there I vaguely remember that in the small town right before BRC, there was a place where people can rent a bike and there was a sign saying 'Burning Bikes'. I can't seem to find any posts about it and I am wondering if it was a hallucination.

I don't want to buy a bike just for burning man, so if there was a place to rent them that would be convenient for me. Can somebody please confirm that such a place exists ? I don't want to get all the way over there and find out that I don't have a bike. Thanks in advance for replies.
bongdick

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Burning Bikes ?

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:02 pm

i know there's a few places in Reno. closer to the playa might be gamble cause Gerlach locals do things differently ever year.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Burning Bikes in Gerlach might exist, but there's no guarantee they would have a supply when you get there, 'cause so many people come through. So don't wait until Gerlach--if you can help it. (If you are headed through the tiny town and see something offered, please do support them in any way you can, but relying on them to have a finite resource is not recommended--just 'cause they're so small.)

Try Reno. Here are three ideas from the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter (a great source of information and tips).

RENO BIKE PROGRAMS - TIME TO GET ON IT!

There are three popular bike programs in the Reno area that sell or rent reliable and affordable bikes especially for life on the playa, that are now taking reservations:

Kiwanis Bike Program

If you are in need of a bike close to as well as great for the playa, reserving one from the Kiwanis Bike Program comes highly recommended. Kiwanis has a huge variety of bicycles ranging from $40-$50, and all purchases support the repairs and donation of bikes for at-risk kids in the Reno area. Moreover, if you return your bike to Kiwanis on your way home from the playa, they love it -- they'll refurbish and reuse it! Reserve your bike now as they go fast. The shop is open daily or by appointment during Burning Man to pick up your reserved bike, or to pick out a bike from those still available, before moving on to Black Rock City. For bike reservations and further information, or if you'd like to know more about their programs in northern Nevada, go to http://www.kiwanisbikes.org

Kiwanis Bike Program
2500 Valley Road, Suite A
Reno, NV 89512
775-846-7146
kiwanisbikes@att.net
http://www.kiwanisbikes.org

Black Rock Bicycles

Black Rock Bicycles is highly recommended as your transportation headquarters for rentals as well as sales of bikes for the playa. Having a bicycle -- especially a reliable one with comfort and style, with fat tires and a soft seat! -- is a large part of the Burning Man experience and tradition, and is pretty much an essential to your overall enjoyment in Black Rock City. Located in Reno just a few hours from the playa, they offer rentals as well as sell new/used bikes at affordable prices, which have been professionally cared for by experienced bike mechanics (and Burners). Black Rock Bikes also has everything you need to be able to set your bike apart from the rest -- lighting supplies, baskets, bells, locks, and many other items needed to have fun as well as be safe on the playa.
This year, they have plenty of rentals, extended hours, and have moved to a new location. Please check out their website for reservations, pick-up arrangements, and for other details at: http://www.blackrockbicycles.com

Rat's Bikes

After many years of service to our community, Rat's Bikes returns to offer great used playa bikes for rent to those of us WHO LIVE AT LEAST 1000 MILES from Black Rock City. And especially to those who live overseas, as he likes to take care of those who have to make a very long journey! Best to reserve now while you can, as his supply of bikes is likely to be gone soon. To find out further information or make reservation arrangements, send an email to Rat at: nv_desert_rat@nvbell.net

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Join JRS newsletter here if interested:
http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:30 pm

FYI: Kiwanis is the cheapest option of those listed above but their rental reservations filled up <2 weeks after the JRS went out.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Return to Transportation