European burners: any tips on flights?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

European burners: any tips on flights?

Postby gijs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 am

Traveling from Amsterdam/Europe to the playa. Pretty flexible on departure/arrival location and time. Main concern is a cheap way to fly across the Atlantic.
Who's got a tip for a cheap flight?
gijs

Re: European burners: any tips on flights?

Postby velocirafter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 am

I've been using skyscanner, its searches lots of different sites and is usually the cheapest.

I think its usually a little bit cheaper to fly in to San Fran rather than Reno but then you have the extra fuel cost of travelling from SF
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(
velocirafter

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 am

Gidget, will you be needing a ride back out to the playa again this year? Let me know so I can arrange logistics if necessary.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 am

velocirafter wrote:I've been using skyscanner, its searches lots of different sites and is usually the cheapest.

I think its usually a little bit cheaper to fly in to San Fran rather than Reno but then you have the extra fuel cost of travelling from SF

On the plus side fuel price here is about 1/2 what it is there. And car hire by the week isn't too bad (just don't mention TTITD - A friend claims to go to Yosemite, then to Tahoe/Reno to gamble a bit... maybe visit friends from Salt lake City...)

Going the other way (round trip from SFO to London and beyond) , I have the best luck with BA (Virgin runs a little cheaper, but they're like flying in a cardboard box)... Also you got a couple good outlet stores in SF and Berkeley (and oakland) you'd miss flying into Reno. You have to monitor prices, tho - they make one or 2 dips during the year, when they peak down grab them. We usually start watching 6 months ahead, and follow the fluctuations until they're like $500 here, round trip.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
velocirafter wrote:I've been using skyscanner, its searches lots of different sites and is usually the cheapest.

On the plus side fuel price here is about 1/2 what it is there. And car hire by the week isn't too bad (just don't mention TTITD - A friend claims to go to Yosemite, then to Tahoe/Reno to gamble a bit... maybe visit friends from Salt lake City...)

Going the other way (round trip from SFO to London and beyond) , I have the best luck with BA (Virgin runs a little cheaper, but they're like flying in a cardboard box)... Also you got a couple good outlet stores in SF and Berkeley (and oakland) you'd miss flying into Reno. You have to monitor prices, tho - they make one or 2 dips during the year, when they peak down grab them. We usually start watching 6 months ahead, and follow the fluctuations until they're like $500 here, round trip.

When I was growing up in Soviet Union, we would have loved to fly in cardboard box! Aeroflot: Putting the Terror in Aero!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gijs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks for the offer Doc. Still have fond memories of both the ride in with Frank, and the epic ride out. Frank offered to take me in again. If I can find a ticket for a friend in AMS we'll hire a RV and we should be fine. Otherwise it's utter chaos once again :D
gijs

Postby gijs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:10 pm

[quote="velocirafter"]I've been using skyscanner, its searches lots of different sites and is usually the cheapest.

I think its usually a little bit cheaper to fly in to San Fran rather than Reno but then you have the extra fuel cost of travelling from SF[/quote]

Looks like www.arkefly.nl has the cheapest flights out of Europe. Luckily they leave right from my home town :-)
gijs

Return to Transportation