Airfare prices & not forgetting to get your ticket!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Airfare prices & not forgetting to get your ticket!

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 am

Just a note that with the recently dropping fuel prices that airfare has come down around 20% if not more in certain markets. 3 weeks ago, a RT from Orlando to Reno was around $550. Now, it's around $430.. and I've seen price alerts in the upper $300s.

If you haven't used yapta.com for planned travel, check it out. It automatically checks your desired flights daily, tracks pricing and will alert you when the price reaches your target. Also, most people don't realize that many airlines will actually refund you money if a fare drops a certain amount between the time you buy and anytime before you fly. The site will automatically track your purchased flight and get you a credit if it drops below the threshold. I've used it before and it works.. and is totally free.

In any case, between now and the end of June is the time to start shopping and purchasing those flights. There is that golden window about 3-4 months from travel when flights are not booked up yet but you're also not getting penalized for buying it too far out and getting dinged with the early bird tax.

Don't procrastinate too long. Start shopping. This is your daily PSA..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Airfare prices & not forgetting to get your ticket!

Postby BBadger » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 am

junglesmacks wrote:Just a note that with the recently dropping fuel prices that airfare has come down around 20% if not more in certain markets. 3 weeks ago, a RT from Orlando to Reno was around $550. Now, it's around $430.. and I've seen price alerts in the upper $300s.

If you haven't used yapta.com for planned travel, check it out. It automatically checks your desired flights daily, tracks pricing and will alert you when the price reaches your target. Also, most people don't realize that many airlines will actually refund you money if a fare drops a certain amount between the time you buy and anytime before you fly. The site will automatically track your purchased flight and get you a credit if it drops below the threshold. I've used it before and it works.. and is totally free.

In any case, between now and the end of June is the time to start shopping and purchasing those flights. There is that golden window about 3-4 months from travel when flights are not booked up yet but you're also not getting penalized for buying it too far out and getting dinged with the early bird tax.

Don't procrastinate too long. Start shopping. This is your daily PSA..

Neato. Though I don't fly in for BM, I'll have to try using that for other trips.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 am

Bumping this just because it took me some effort to find the post to get the link junglesmacks suggested. I figured some more folks might benefit :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 am

**BOOM**

All of a sudden, there are major fare sales going on and price wars. Southwest and AirTran started it.. now I just got an alert from Yapta that Delta has dropped from $475 to $298. Ticket purchased!

Get on it!! Now is the time!!

Your daily PSA. Carry on.
junglesmacks

Postby Inko Gnito » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:27 am

Thank you!
If you see this: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." in a post, login and to see the picture.
Inko Gnito

Burning Since: 2011

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm buying one and I'm driving to BRC!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby lemur » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 pm

roundtrip airfare from chicago to reno via southwest dropped below the cost of amtrak.

$278 with all the fees and shit to fly

$280 on amtrak
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 pm

lemur wrote:roundtrip airfare from chicago to reno via southwest dropped below the cost of amtrak.

$278 with all the fees and shit to fly

$280 on amtrak

PLUS you get 2 free bags on Southwest. That's like a $60 bonus vs other airlines.

(Yes, I know you get free bags on Amtrak.. just saying.)
junglesmacks

Return to Transportation