Trucking options from Oakland

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Trucking options from Oakland

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

Does anyone have a good local (Oakland-Reno = local) source?

Despite it being a major port, it is pretty hard to get information on trucking out of Oakland to BRC for the event. I will likely need two flatbeds (+50') for the event. I am not real happy with some of the options used from last year. After busting our pick loading two trucks, while the driver stood around saying nothing, the company charged an additional $2k to "load" and "reload" the trucks, stating that we we not present when the truck was loaded, and then it had to be reloaded (which makes no sense). I actually took pictures of the loading (and even tweeted them as we loaded). Anyway, that provider seems rather unscrupulous, so I am looking to use an honest company.
chiefdanfox

Re: Trucking options from Oakland

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

I wonder if calling Hengehold would result in a recommendation. Dust Devil might know, too...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

Biagi Bros. has owner ops with flatbeds, and runs to Reno. Only problem is finding them a load back...or are they gonna hang out for the week? 100 miles is a long way to dead head, especially for an owner op....that is if were talking about going to the playa..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 am

Semi-trailer lengths are limited by law. Generally, California limits are smaller than Nevada, so we concentrate on California. Generally, semi-trailers are limited to 53 feet, with an exception for longer if the tractor is so short that the overall length is no more than 65.

HOWEVER: Flatbeds are rarely more than 48 feet, and older ones can be 45 or even just 40. So you will emphasize you need a 48-footer. There are some provisions for freight extending past the rear of the trailer, but this is so complicated it will need to be researched after we know the length of the tractor. Off the top of my head, there is an absolute maximum overall length of 75 feet, if it is the freight that makes it that long.

It is possible to get a permit for oversize freight, but only if the freight cannot be divided into smaller pieces.

Generally, shipper and consignee are responsible for taking the freight on and off the trailer, while the driver is responsible for tying the freight down. In some cases, the shipper ties the freight down, to be sure to comply with the requirements of the freight.

You might want to be aware that flatbed trailers are often arched a bit -- that is, the deck is curved, highest in the middle. This is so the trailer will not sag below flat if maximum weight must be loaded in the middle of the trailer. So you may need to provide lumber to shim the freight level, depending on what you are shipping.

Weight may also be a concern. Very roughly, an 18-wheeler can carry up to something like 48.000 pounds, but that must be evenly distributed. The maximum gross weight is 80.000 pounds. "Spread axle" trailers can carry a slightly larger percentage on the tail, but the gross is still 80.000.

Hope that helps.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, &c

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 am

chiefdanfox wrote:Does anyone have a good local (Oakland-Reno = local) source?

Despite it being a major port, it is pretty hard to get information on trucking out of Oakland to BRC for the event. I will likely need two flatbeds (+50') for the event. I am not real happy with some of the options used from last year. After busting our pick loading two trucks, while the driver stood around saying nothing, the company charged an additional $2k to "load" and "reload" the trucks, stating that we we not present when the truck was loaded, and then it had to be reloaded (which makes no sense). I actually took pictures of the loading (and even tweeted them as we loaded). Anyway, that provider seems rather unscrupulous, so I am looking to use an honest company.

I am based here in Hayward and have a couple of companies you could try. PM me.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am

Maybe you ought to ask AntiM here on ePlaya. Her husband pulls flatbed, and if I understand it right, he often comes out to California. Might be difficult to coordinate, but seems worth looking into.

Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

At least her Larry should be able to give general advice. He's not an owner-operator; he's a driver. He may not be able to make any sort of deal. Also, he's got AntiM and their camp stuff to get to the playa as well.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 pm

The company I drive for uses these guys for our Flatbed Jobs(when they happen), all we drive is Bobtails and Tractor/box combos, they might have a return trip from Sparks/Reno Oakland to Sparks/Reno on the open, they are the cheapest we could find to work with here in Reno/Sparks.
Call em up and let them know what you are looking for, Tell them Dick from Sierra Airfreight Express sent ya. :wink:

http://www.sparks.nv.phonepagesinc.com/RFID104702

Good luck!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby mshaman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Often trucking companies will charge loading and unloading time not because the driver had to load it, but because the shipper took too long to load it. I used to run flatbeds and we avoided do-it-your-selfers who didn't have forklifts, etc. Keep in mind that we could generally load a 53' trailer with 26 pallets in under an hour with a good forklift operator and properly staged cargo. It it takes longer than an hour or two to get loaded, the cost usually starts going up.

You could rent the semi-truck without a driver from Ryder/RSC/whoever and cover some of the CDL drivers on this board for their expenses... wedeliver has offered to drive in another thread in this forum. I'll even ship you the 4" cargo straps if you decide to go that route.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby AntiM » Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:At least her Larry should be able to give general advice. He's not an owner-operator; he's a driver. He may not be able to make any sort of deal. Also, he's got AntiM and their camp stuff to get to the playa as well.

He is indeed a company driver, heavy haul steel for Central Refrigerated. He does not have a forklift, while he does the chain/strap downs, he never does the actual loading/unloading. And yes, he is the driver for our SUV and trailer to get us to B-Man. Central only has four flatbed trucks out of a fleet of 1800 trucks.

The usual flatbed trailer he uses is heavier and longer than the 48 footers and specially permitted. Up to 100,000 something. Very expensive when you go overweight and oversize, plus the times you can run (twilight laws) kick in. And maybe pilot cars. As it is, when they go into Cali, the company has to borrow 48 footers from Swift. Loading and unloading does run up the bill, and you pay for fun stuff like detention time if the driver has to wait for X hours. A load may look perfectly fine to you, but the truck has to scale and the weight has to be distributed over the trailer according to a formula of how much over what set of tires. I couldn't begin to tell you it all myself, but ask MyLarry and he can go into excruciating detail.

The longest trailer which can legally be used in California is a 48 foot trailer, it has to do with their kingpin law.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elliot » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

AntiM wrote:The longest trailer which can legally be used in California is a 48 foot trailer, it has to do with their kingpin law.

Living and trucking in California, I can update that a bit. It depends on where you need to travel. Smaller roads are indeed limited to 48 foot trailers, but longer trailers are allowed on Interstates, some other major roads, and various distances from these "designated routes" to the freight origin and destination locations. You should have no real difficulty in Oakland, unless your shop is away from the industrial areas. But do be aware that a large section of I-580 is off limits to thru trucks, and there are probably other such off-limits areas where the rich folk live.

There are signs for these "designated routes"; blue and white with an end-view cross section of a truck. Unfortunately, the system is so complex, and the signage so random, and Barney Fife's understanding of all this so spotty, that it's a bit of a mess. But it can be handled.

"Kingpin", "bridge", and other industry slang abounds, and the words are often used inaccurately. It relates to things like wheelbase (ability to get around tight curves) and weight distribution (wear on roads and bridges). Average drivers tend to be clueless -- I used to hire them (and sometimes fire them, as needed). In my experience, the California Highway Patrol is always helpful with information -- although even their people sometimes struggle to grasp the complexities of the many interwoven laws.

Elliot

Postby AntiM » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 am

I'm certainly no trucker, so see? It is complex. I think part of the Central thing and the 48 foot trailers is their heavy haul trailers have a fixed kingpin and aren't legal anywhere in CA. I talked to Larry this morning and I'm quite confused. Be glad he isn't posting a trucking encyclopedia here.

He did have a comment on the loading. If you want the driver to assist with the load/unload, it has to be stated in the contract up front. Most drivers don't touch the loads, so don't expect it as part of the service unless you negotiate for it. An independent owner-op may do things differently.

And yeah, I had the same thought about what the driver would do about no back haul. That is a lot of mileage to eat running empty.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 am

I've had good luck on cl.

There are several websites for this too.
Makes it easier to find someone running empty.
gyre

Return to Transportation