Crossing State Lines w Rental Car

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Crossing State Lines w Rental Car

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 am

Hi All,

New burner from Toronto, Canada.
We're planning on flying to San Francisco, staying a few days, then renting an SUV there and driving to BM.
What are the rules on crossing state lines with a rental car? Can you?

Thanks all, :)
Linguist

Re: Crossing State Lines w Rental Car

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 am

Instead of asking us, why don't you try asking the rental car company :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 am

too true.

i was being lazy, i suppose.
Anyway, for those you also need an answer, with FOX car rentals, you can!!

:P forgive me
Linguist

Postby B the B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 am

Rent it with a credit card (for insurance purposes) and you can do any damn thing you want with it, including but not limited to rolling it over for fun! Just wear a seatbelt before attempting any stunt driving.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:28 am

Crossing state lines should be fine, but as junglesmacks says you should check with the company that you'll be renting from. My recommendation is to book sooner rather than later (there ends up being a run on cargo vans and SUV's in San Francisco during that timeframe), and when you do, take the time to carefully read the terms and conditions (that stuff most people just scroll through and click 'I agree' on so they can get to the next page). You don't need special permission to cross state lines in this country, but if a rental car company imposes certain restrictions on use of the vehicle, the rental agreement is probably where they'd detail it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:00 am

yes, O.P.:
as Trilo says, read it............and, be cunning...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Canoe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 am

ignore - I misread

But note: most personal vehicle insurers offer low-cost add-on coverage for rental vehicles. Check on the cost, coverage and restrictions offered by yours.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:39 am

I believe it is more of an issue for what they commonly call local rentals theses days. i.e. - renting for a set time period and usually with unlimited mileage.

I'm not sure what the potential implications of violating the contract are, but have heard that many rentals have gps trackers in them now.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Rice » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 am

I simply told the rental company that I was going to be driving to Nevada. They did not have any issue with that.

(I flew down from Saskatoon, SK to San Francisco...)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

You've got to be careful though. You don't want to be crossing state lines with a rental car for immoral purposes. And there are some rental companies that would count burningman as immoral purposes...

(Now, If you'll excuse me, I have something to google.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 am

(Mildly) amusing anecdote from 1997: I rented a small car for the purpose of a working trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. The rental clerk told me I was limited to California and Nevada, unless I paid more. Well, Bonneville is five miles past Nevada.

During my week at Bonneville the racing was interrupted by rain, so I drove to Salt Lake City to have my film developed, to verify that my exposures were good. While parked in SLC, the car was ticketed for having expired license, while I and others watched from the doorstep of the photo lab. I promptly dropped the ticket in the nearest waste basket as if it were simply MOOP -- much to the amusement of the others present.

And I never heard a word from the rental company, even when I rented from them again.

These days though, as mentioned above, rental cars tend to have "secret" GPS onboard.

But I expect that Nevada is still generally considered a part of California for this purpose, since so many Californians go to Reno and Las Vegas for gambling.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Sham » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 am

I tend to rent from the same rental company year after year for both personal and business. I find that if you're a member of their "frequent renter" incentive program, they tend to not fuck with you when you return the car. Even if you have some dust on the car and they should charge you, it would be reversed with the phone call when you get home.

As far as leaving the state you rent it in, that really does depend on the rental company. Some of the cheapies may look at that as a way to pork you for a few extra bucks. I know that most of them charge you for an additional driver for some strange reason. All the companies used to charge mileage on the rentals, but they stopped that years ago. I think truck rentals still have a mileage charge however.
Sham

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 pm

You are much more likely to encounter a last minute contract rider if you look like you are going to Burning Man or say you are going to Burningman when you pick up the car. More likely to receive extra scrutiny on return, potentially activating extra fees if you are dusty and the car is dusty.

Playa dust is extra wear and tear on the vehicle and if it gets in the ventilation system and carpeting, it will irritate any future renter. That's why I never take my personal vehicle! You have to realize it's a risk and cost to the rental company.

I would be vague, "friend's wedding, family reunion, Las Vegas, Burningman, what's that?". Detail the car on return. Cover the seats and cargo area with old sheets, cover the dash when parked. If it's not in the contract, it can't be enforced.

Even so everyone who says, "I'll just screw the rental company, so what it's trashed, or I'm to wasted to deal" simply screws hundreds of next year renters for the event.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 pm

There's a major car rental company in Sacramento that is very burner-friendly. Adhering to the "no commerce" clause I will refrain from mentioning the company. But anybody who wants the info, PM me and I'll be happy to provide it. And I've heard they're somewhat cheaper than their competitors, but I cannot back up that claim with personal experience.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ratty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 am

I rented a car in Vegas and they told me don't leave the state. A few days later I was sightseeing too close to the border and the cops stopped me and turned me back. 'Big Brother creepy to say the least.

I rented a car in california for my 'friend' for the week-end. I didn't know it but she flattened 2 tires, had them exchange it for a completely different car and kept it for 45 days. She was just on the contract as a 2nd driver. When I got the call to bring in $3,000 I got the car turned in and they told me never to come back. Nope. She didn't pay. I live but I don't learn.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:02 am

We always rent with Enterprise (nephews work there and get us a %40 discount) and with them you just need to tell them what states you will be driving in and they put it on the contract. Apparently without that you could have the vehicle impounded in some states if you are not authorized by the rental company to drive in those states, at least that is what Enterprise tells us.
inthecolumbiagorge

Return to Transportation