Has anyone taken 447 > Surprise Valley Road > 445 to Reno?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Has anyone taken 447 > Surprise Valley Road > 445 to Reno?

Postby clerkkent » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm curious as to the condition of the road. It may be an alternate route out of BRC if 447 south to hwy 80 gets jammed up again.
7 burns and counting. Each one gets better.
clerkkent

Re: Has anyone taken 447 > Surprise Valley Road > 445 to Ren

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am

In 09 on my way to the event I was hailed by a burner pulling a generator with a blown tire at the junction of Surprise Valley RD and 447. He had driven that route from Reno and lost 1 tire to a sharp piece of gravel. I'd caution against traveling on gravel roads unless you have appropriate tires. It looks like a nice drive otherwise.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Re: Has anyone taken 447 > Surprise Valley Road > 445 to Ren

Postby Playa+Tom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 pm

If you mean the road that goes on the north and west sides of the Smoke Creek desert I drive it frequently. It is generally in good condition from the intersection with 447 to Sand Pass the part from Sutcliffe through the rez is poorly maintained and had many tire eating rocks. If you take it you must have good-strong tires. Not mud and snow tires, not all season tires but tires with solid reinforced treads designed for off road use.
If you arfe interested in any of the roads in this area message me and I'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
Playa+Tom

Return to Transportation